I Played (x) Because of Diablo

General Discussion
I'm not angry about the D:I BlizzCon announcement, just sad.

The primary reason I buy the Virtual Ticket is to see what's happening with Diablo. Last year, I was very disappointed, as there was barely anything in the schedule for Diablo, but I had my hopes up this year because Blizzard made a point that there would be some good news this year for Diablo fans (I didn't expect D4, but I did expect something that would appeal to me as a player who has been around since the original Diablo). I was caught completely off-guard by D:I... and at this point, I finally accepted that the franchise as I knew it is really gone. Even if they do release D4 eventually, I realize that I am no longer their audience.

My affinity toward Diablo has spilled over to other Blizzard games:
  • I played WoW because of Diablo
  • I played SC and SC2 because of Diablo
  • I played Hearthstone because of Diablo
  • I played HOTS because of Diablo
  • I played Overwatch because of Diablo

After the Keynote, I had no interest in watching the rest of BlizzCon. Before BlizzCon, I was still an active player in D3 Seasons and Hearthstone. After BlizzCon, I have no interest in running the Blizzard Launcher, as I have no interest in playing other Blizzard titles.

Having worked for several large companies over the course of my career, I realize these decisions don't occur in a vacuum. They were heavily scrutinized long before they were ever presented at BlizzCon, and I realize the decision they made in marginalizing their current customer base in the pursuit of expanding into "more lucrative" endeavors. It's their company. I am just one of many upon many of old customers. New customers = growth!

Best of luck to you Blizzard. I bear you no ill-will. I hope your future customer base appreciates the financial investment that we made into making you the company you are today.
I play PoE because of D:I
- I played other Blizzard games because I liked D2
- I played Torchlight while waiting for D3
- I play Path of Exile now because of D:I's announcement
- I plan to play Lost Ark in the future.
Blitz, this:

11/12/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Blitz
I played WoW because of Diablo
I played SC and SC2 because of Diablo
I played Hearthstone because of Diablo
I played HOTS because of Diablo
I played Overwatch because of Diablo

Now: Grim Dawn, POE and TL2. Looking forward to other releases of upcoming arpg games.
I thought about making a game in Unity because of all this; I even had movement code that could translate a sprite to a location based on movement vector (moving at 45 degrees will take long to reach the other side of the screen than moving straight at it). Took a good while to get it working, so I'm a little proud of it. Close enough?

To admit, I watched the trailer, saw the "Coming To Mobile, pre-register now", almost clicked it, when I realized:

I'm not going to play it after a day or two. I never do with mobile titles, even just for something to do for 5 minutes on a lunch break. I was only going to click that button because of the franchise affiliation. If it weren't Diablo, I wouldn't give it a thought.

I'm a bit sad for that, but happy to have realized it and move on.
I started playing other ARPG like Nox, Sacred, Grim Dawn & Titan Quest because of how much I enjoyed the first two installments of the Diablo series. Those games did not disappoint me, they were great additions to the genre. I bought Starcraft as soon as it came out because I loved Warcraft II and Diablo.

I tried Path of Exile because there were things I did not enjoy in Diablo 3. I didn't spend too much time there, it's not quite my cup of tea, but that was 3 years ago. I don't think I'll try it again.

I still play World of Warcraft, but I'm finding it hard to go back to Diablo 3 when I found at least two other ARPG that are just better at everything Diablo 2 brought to the table that Diablo 3 never implemented.
For me, I just enjoyed the franchise but was hooked with the WarCraft game series, and experiences with Ultima 6 that I wanted to see what Diablo was like back in middle school.

Given how I feel that Blizzard has largely forgotten their audience... I've gone ahead and canceled the WC3 and Hearthstone preorder, backed up archives of all the games that I don't have on CD, and uninstalled everything including the launcher. It's clear that the company I knew back then no longer exists. Activision has done to Blizzard what EA did to Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxi, Origin, Bioware, and oh so many other studios.

Diablo Immortal has cost them this long term fan... and until I hear that Blizzard has started left their ivory tower and better embraced their community, I won't be back. Diablo Immortal has even put into quesiton whether or not I want to play WoW: Classic, which was a definite yes before BlizzCon.

Sadly, I honestly expect Blizzard to keep doubling down, as their fans mean nothing to them now - nor does the legacy of a franchise.
For me it's kinda weird. I played...Diablo because of Diablo (mostly extra mods for D2: LoD). I actually kept away from other games of the genre for the most part because I didn't feel they'd be able to match Diablo's feel and fun factor. Did I miss out? Probably. Might get both Torchlights if I get money for Christmas. Or PoE if I can slog my way through the latest fiasco of an update for Windows 10 (I have a dual boot hackintosh and primarily use OS X as my operating system).

You'd think Diablo would make me more interested in playing other games, but ironically that wasn't the case. I just liked it that much back then. I also liked that I had a choice of keeping the same maps for farming runs or mixing them up if I chose during offline play (maps remained the same until you changed difficulties for offline play).
11/12/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Blitz
I'm not angry about the D:I BlizzCon announcement, just sad.

The primary reason I buy the Virtual Ticket is to see what's happening with Diablo. Last year, I was very disappointed, as there was barely anything in the schedule for Diablo, but I had my hopes up this year because Blizzard made a point that there would be some good news this year for Diablo fans (I didn't expect D4, but I did expect something that would appeal to me as a player who has been around since the original Diablo). I was caught completely off-guard by D:I... and at this point, I finally accepted that the franchise as I knew it is really gone. Even if they do release D4 eventually, I realize that I am no longer their audience.

• I played WoW because of Diablo
  • I played SC and SC2 because of Diablo
  • I played Hearthstone because of Diablo
  • I played HOTS because of Diablo
  • I played Overwatch because of Diablo

After the Keynote, I had no interest in watching the rest of BlizzCon. Before BlizzCon, I was still an active player in D3 Seasons and Hearthstone. After BlizzCon, I have no interest in running the Blizzard Launcher, as I have no interest in playing other Blizzard titles.

Having worked for several large companies over the course of my career, I realize these decisions don't occur in a vacuum. They were heavily scrutinized long before they were ever presented at BlizzCon, and I realize the decision they made in marginalizing their current customer base in the pursuit of expanding into "more lucrative" endeavors. It's their company. I am just one of many upon many of old customers. New customers = growth!

Best of luck to you Blizzard. I bear you no ill-will. I hope your future customer base appreciates the financial investment that we made into making you the company you are today.

Well written. I was not angry either, just severely disappointed.
I played WoW because the Diablo seasonal rewards didn't have pets on them, that was May 2018.

BFA came and i didn't like it, was going to switch back to D3 because of the Blizzcon hype, then DI was announced.

Now playing POE.
I played Diablo because of Blackthorne.
I played WC3 because of Diablo.
I played WoW because of both WC3 and Diablo.

And now more recently I play Warframe because of Diablo.
11/12/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Tiakatt

tenno skoom!
11/12/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Painkiller
I play PoE because of D:I
I haven't been back cause of PoE ;)
I became a GAMER because of DIABLO.

The first game I bought is DIABLO. Its uphill from that.
11/12/2018 11:04 PMPosted by Strombane
I became a GAMER because of DIABLO.

The first game I bought is DIABLO. Its uphill from that.

Same here , Diablo1 long long time ago!
Vanilla wow player left after BFA fiasco now play GW2

played diablo since day 1 then the Immortal fiasco now play Grim Dawn
I played Diablo because of Blackthorne.
I played Diablo 2 because of Diablo
I played Diablo Hellfire because of Diablo
I played D2LOD because of Diablo 2
I played Diablo 3 because of Diablo and Diablo 2
I played PoE and Torchlight 1 and 2 because of Diablo 3
I play Diablo 2 LOD because of Diablo 3
I installed Grim Dawn Because of D:I
11/12/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Tiakatt

11/12/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Almagnus1
tenno skoom!

Ahh, I see you are tennos of distinction as well.

See you all in fortuna and plains of eidolons with hover boards.

Viral, gas, radiation, slash, impact, heat, cold, poison, corrosive, etc. etc.. some of the various damage types.. Such a deep game.. Loving it as a fresh breeze (Tenno of +3 months)
I played Nox while waiting D2
I played Sacred, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege and all of that !@#$ waiting for D3
I played PoE and GD bacause how RoS is %^-*.
I played Sacred 2 because of Diablo 2
I played PoE because of Diablo 2

Sacred was an old game and the company of theirs defuncted a decade ago.
PoE is like Diablo 2 but i still love Diablo 2 more
If i have to compare Diablo 3 and PoE,i would choose Path of Exile without a doubt.Yeah Diablo 3 has better graphics and has cutscenes but in expansion they made joke ending cinematics with artworks rather than actual cgi movie.
cough cough greed

Removal of skill tree,stat points,runewords made Diablo 3 way too simple

I played Diablo 1 on playstation 1 first when i was a kid and completely enjoyed the game.It was a scary and a solid game.