Actiblizzard strikes back!

General Discussion
I call them Acti$$ard.

Act nice to buyers and then raid their wallets to get all that sweet $$.
So from the recent news we've learned...

...Blizzard can't afford to pay their California workers a livable wage, so they have to live in communes together.
...Blizzard doesn't want to pay American developers, so they outsource labor to their Chinese NetEase team.
...Blizzard is willing to spend thousands of dollars to harass a guy who owns the domain of a game they've not even working on.

What a pathetic company.
Read some of the posts. Someone was banned from the /r/wow reddit for saying they have higher standards in paid games. They got a temp ban for belittling the guy, claimed it wasn't belittling, then got perma banned after that. "Because we can". This person is lucky a subreddit isn't a business because they would be sued into the ground. lol
11/21/2018 01:15 AMPosted by Krine
He could probably sell the domain for $70,000 when the real thing (Diablo 4) is revealed.

Doing so would cross way over the greyish area holding the domain name does.
The reason the lawyer asked if he was willing to sell it was to have more fuel encase they felt the need to take it to court.

Under the ACPA, a trademark owner may bring a cause of action against a domain name registrant who

Has a bad faith intent to profit from the mark
Registers, traffics in, or uses a domain name that is
Identical or confusingly similar to a distinctive mark
Identical or confusingly similar to or dilutive of a famous mark
11/21/2018 01:14 PMPosted by NaughtyOne
11/21/2018 01:15 AMPosted by Krine
He could probably sell the domain for $70,000 when the real thing (Diablo 4) is revealed.

Doing so would cross way over the greyish area holding the domain name does.
The reason the lawyer asked if he was willing to sell it was to have more fuel encase they felt the need to take it to court.

Under the ACPA, a trademark owner may bring a cause of action against a domain name registrant who

Has a bad faith intent to profit from the mark
Registers, traffics in, or uses a domain name that is
Identical or confusingly similar to a distinctive mark
Identical or confusingly similar to or dilutive of a famous mark
Isn't that all null and void unless a specific Diablo4 TM is issued though.
That guy surrendered to legal way too easily.

Should have told the lawyer that he is a minority and being oppressed by Diablo and #metoo in there somewhere. Most liberal companies run for the hills upon seeing that.
Next time sell domain to some Russian or Chinese oligarch, and forward legal threats over under legal name. They’ll kidnap the lawyer in a week.

Kids today are such pushovers.
Funny enough that it has come this far yet.
Oh but the negative publicity is still building. Even WENDY'S (yes, the fast food restaurant) is taking shots at them now.

https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1063500706961911808?s=19
lawyers act faster than blue text response on these forms. kinda lame.... PTR live yet? no... of course not.
11/21/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Midnight
Next time sell domain to some Russian or Chinese oligarch, and forward legal threats over under legal name.
I was thinking along similar lines. The domain should be officially owned by someone outside of US jurisdiction living in a country without any reciprocity treaties, like China, Russia, or Iran. Then they can't touch the guy and he can keep this awesome and relevant redirect active from there.

If the only response we get from Blizzard after they insulted us so loudly is legal threats against a member of the community, that just shows what kind of scum we're dealing with. As if we needed more proof after it was revealed how they treat their workers.
Was meant as a fun joke. :)

"ACTIBLIZZARD STRIKES BACK!"
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9yujm8/blizzards_lawyers_asked_me_to_take_down_the/

"Do NOT make up facts that Blizzard came at me after I refused to sell. Do NOT say I made this domain in protest of immortal. Do NOT make anything up."

So OP... What's with the title?
11/21/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Aulus
11/21/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Midnight
Next time sell domain to some Russian or Chinese oligarch, and forward legal threats over under legal name.
I was thinking along similar lines. The domain should be officially owned by someone outside of US jurisdiction living in a country without any reciprocity treaties, like China, Russia, or Iran. Then they can't touch the guy and he can keep this awesome and relevant redirect active from there.

If the only response we get from Blizzard after they insulted us so loudly is legal threats against a member of the community, that just shows what kind of scum we're dealing with. As if we needed more proof after it was revealed how they treat their workers.

Fool. They are obligated to defend their IPs. They aren't just attacking a member of the community. Read the reddit link. That member of the community knows and understands perfectly well why blizz took action and is fine with it.
11/21/2018 07:09 PMPosted by Pestilence
They are obligated to defend their IPs

Diablo existed before the game. It just spanish for Devil. There is no way they own a word because everyone can say it without Blizzard. It's public domain.

I own playdiablonow.com if I want to redirect it to pathofexile.com or yahoo.com I absolutely am within my rights.
11/21/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Midnight
11/21/2018 07:09 PMPosted by Pestilence
They are obligated to defend their IPs

Diablo existed before the game. It just spanish for Devil. There is no way they own a word because everyone can say it without Blizzard. It's public domain.

I own playdiablonow.com if I want to redirect it to pathofexile.com or yahoo.com I absolutely am within my rights.

Its cybersquatting dude there are laws on the books for this. Its all about bad faith arguments and that's a bad faith argument. The only reason they care about the name Diablo is the game and not the generic Spanish term for devil. That's a bad faith argument.
https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/domain-names-and-cybersquatting/
11/21/2018 08:01 PMPosted by SirSmokes
Its cybersquatting dude there are laws on the books for this. Its all about bad faith arguments and that's a bad faith argument. The only reason they care about the name Diablo is the game and not the generic Spanish term for devil. That's a bad faith argument.
So because huge corporations paid off politicians to make laws to help them line their own pockets by claiming private ownership of actual words in actual languages, it's somehow okay for them to do it?

Riiiight.

It just shows how low this company is willing to sink, nothing else.
11/21/2018 08:57 PMPosted by Aulus
11/21/2018 08:01 PMPosted by SirSmokes
So because huge corporations paid off politicians to make laws to help them line their own pockets by claiming private ownership of actual words in actual languages, it's somehow okay for them to do it?

Riiiight.

It just shows how low this company is willing to sink, nothing else.
What are you even talking about? You are making bad faith argument and if yea don't like laws on cybersquatting fine.
11/21/2018 09:21 PMPosted by SirSmokes
What are you even talking about? You are making bad faith argument and if yea don't like laws on cybersquatting fine.
You're acting like it's morally acceptable for a corporate conglomerate to claim private ownership of real words. Not a word they made up for their game, but a real word from a real language. And you don't see the problem with this? Wow, that just makes you part of the problem.

Blizzard is scum for doing what they did. And don't think for a second that any laws get passed in the US without massive corporations lobbying either for the laws themselves or for favorable language to them. Even if Blizzard wasn't among the ones who lobbied for this particular cash grab, they're sure not holding back from reaping the benefits.
11/21/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Aulus
11/21/2018 09:21 PMPosted by SirSmokes
You're acting like it's morally acceptable for a corporate conglomerate to claim private ownership of real words. Not a word they made up for their game, but a real word from a real language. And you don't see the problem with this? Wow, that just makes you part of the problem.

Blizzard is scum for doing what they did.
They don't care about the WORD but what the word is connected too. So like I said they don't care about the generic Spanish word for devil. So a bad faith argument is made. It about the words connection to the game and not the generic word.