Wolcen will have secondary elemental effects

General Discussion
...like fire damage causing enemies to burn, frost damage having a chance to freeze enemies, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNVPl-no3E

Something like this was also planned for D3, but it was scrapped before the beta started.

Source:
https://youtu.be/Q17FDfU7-ds?t=132

If Wolcen can have this, why not Diablo?
Can we at least have secondary elemental effects in D4?
"D4" lul.
11/18/2018 05:39 AMPosted by clueso
...like fire damage causing enemies to burn, frost damage having a chance to freeze enemies, etc.

Something like this was also planned for D3, but it was scrapped before the beta started.

Source:

my assumption is that they were afraid it would affect the game performances on high stress and they decided to scrap it. hell, the whole rune system they initially thought of was kind of brilliant.

Maybe with a new engine, they'll be able to do just that.
Balancing something something... Wasn't it their reason for scrapping it?

And huge issue like the skill elementals of skills and a-like, so it didn't work properly with skill effects and weapon effects. Which was also the same issue that caused the double benefit of physical damage weapons and Rubies - known as black damage bug.

I just don't think they wanted to spend the time on it, that it required.
And here PoE has had these elements along with bleed, poison and shock to name others since basically it's beta, also having the same elements that can effect players as well

Source:

Meh, I can reverse this.

Diablo has multiplayer. Always has - at least 4 people.

If Diablo can have this, why not Wolcen?
11/18/2018 06:51 AMPosted by Orrion
Meh, I can reverse this.

They were actually testing the multiplayer in the beta.

Even if you somehow were right, how does that justify Diablo not featuring meaningful elemental effects?
Hmmm sounds like PoE.....

Ignite, chill and shock
11/18/2018 07:03 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
11/18/2018 06:51 AMPosted by Orrion
Meh, I can reverse this.

They were actually testing the multiplayer in the beta.

Even if you somehow were right, how does that justify Diablo not featuring meaningful elemental effects?

Players only wanted highest dps (fire). Players didn't want to gear defensively (cold). And when they didn't get fire on top all the other rng, they got frustrated. So they let you choose your element via rune.
Wolcen will also never be released
11/18/2018 08:59 AMPosted by AscendedHero
Wolcen will also never be released

It looks really good in its current state. I am not that far into the story yet but what I saw til now looks great. I can't believe they will not finish it.
11/18/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Pereg
Players only wanted highest dps (fire). Players didn't want to gear defensively (cold). And when they didn't get fire on top all the other rng, they got frustrated. So they let you choose your element via rune.

That's just a matter of them being too lazy to properly balance the effects themselves. Cold being the control option isn't new, but the trade-off is worth it when you don't reduce everything to raw damage numbers and whatever gets you the highest ones. They could've made fire yield high damage, while opening certain vulnerabilities, for instance. But no, that's just too much work.

It isn't the players' fault Blizzard couldn't be bothered with developing a proper framework where linear damage scaling isn't the only metric for progression, you know? They only went that way because it's easy. Kind of the same reason why they reduced everything to class sets in D3. If they weren't ready to commit do some work on balancing the "trillions of skill combinations" they boasted so much about prior to the game's release, then why the hell did they make such a needlessly padded system in the first place? I'd have taken a basic set of 10 skills that are properly balanced than 130ish or so that get completely trivialized by a handful of overpowered ones. It's all just fluff in the end.
Lets revisit this after the game is released. Hasn't it be in development for many years now with modest updates? At one point, I believe they had to restart from scratch.
11/18/2018 09:03 AMPosted by AlKatiba
It looks really good in its current state. I am not that far into the story yet but what I saw til now looks great. I can't believe they will not finish it.

Won't finish it?

I haven't heard this. Can you elaborate?

Source:

Go play Wolcen now, quick, begone from here...
11/18/2018 09:18 AMPosted by DieHard
11/18/2018 09:03 AMPosted by AlKatiba

Won't finish it?

I haven't heard this. Can you elaborate?

I updated my original post so you better see what I was referring to. That game will be released. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.
11/18/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Pereg

Fire could have been counter balanced by Elemental resistances. Which would have made Cold more viable, especially if you also went and made it so that Freeze not only locked the target in place but left it vulnerable to being crit more often (something that they threw on many cold damage runes anyways). Naturally Cold Resist could ruin your day...

Shock could have been the classic periodic interrupt stun, also could have gone the route PoE did: made the afflicted take a % increased damage. Though in PoE this was counterbalanced by the fact that unlike Fire or Cold, which were very stable element choices, Lightning damage was not stable at all with the minimum damage being in the range of 1-3 even as the maximum damage was 100-200+, not to mention of course Lightning Resist. You could crit like a truck or crit like a wet noodle. Did make it a good support element if you were just after the shock effect.

Though PoE also had Chaos Damage, which bypassed energy shield to hit HP directly. Poison did Chaos Damage as well and unlike a Burn DoT could stack up to 8 times. Bleed did 2x damage to moving targets (which made it killer on players), could stack up to 8 times, and had a keynote passive that removed the damage bonus while moving for a higher base damage, which made Bleed good against bosses who typically did not move very much (which is basically nearly every boss from the end of act 5 onwards).
The only point I see from this is to see that Blizzard was not able to add something simple as that, other games of the genre have this already.
There is your triple A company, another point of many in which they suk.
11/18/2018 07:03 AMPosted by Blashyrkh

What're you talking about, anyway?

Killing enemies with Arcane damage makes them explode. Things like Disintegrate cause them to.. well, disintegrate into nothing.

Killing them with fire causes the corpse to burn, or explode if it was critical.

Killing with poison used to cause corpses to liquify (don't know if it still does).

Critical kills with cold damage cause enemies to shatter.

Holy damage (heh) causes them to disintegrate into symbols or something.

I mean.. you must not be paying attention pretty hardcore to have never noticed these things.
11/18/2018 06:19 AMPosted by KiWeN
And huge issue like the skill elementals of skills and a-like, so it didn't work properly with skill effects and weapon effects. Which was also the same issue that caused the double benefit of physical damage weapons and Rubies - known as black damage bug.

In D3 classic melee skills (and bow skills as well iirc) did not have an elemental type.

Runes changing the elemental type of the skill and converting 100% of the damage into a single element first came with RoS or patch 2.0. Before that, skills like Cleave or Whirlwind would always deal the damage of the weapon iirc, which was physical + eventually an element. But spells always converted 100% of the damage to a single element.