Wolcen will have secondary elemental effects

General Discussion
11/18/2018 07:22 AMPosted by CyLaNt
Hmmm sounds like PoE.....

Ignite, chill and shock

PoE probably copied it from D3.

As you can see in the video that I linked in my original post, which is the official Diablo 3 announcement and gameplay trailer from 2008, D3 had this long before PoE.
11/18/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Orrion
11/18/2018 07:03 AMPosted by Blashyrkh

Even if you somehow were right, how does that justify Diablo not featuring meaningful elemental effects?

What're you talking about, anyway?

Killing enemies with Arcane damage makes them explode. Things like Disintegrate cause them to.. well, disintegrate into nothing.

Killing them with fire causes the corpse to burn, or explode if it was critical.

Killing with poison used to cause corpses to liquify (don't know if it still does).

Critical kills with cold damage cause enemies to shatter.

Holy damage (heh) causes them to disintegrate into symbols or something.

I mean.. you must not be paying attention pretty hardcore to have never noticed these things.

This are just visual effects, not effects that actually have an effect on the gameplay. Huge, huge difference.
11/18/2018 11:41 AMPosted by clueso

Killing enemies with Arcane damage makes them explode. Things like Disintegrate cause them to.. well, disintegrate into nothing.

Killing them with fire causes the corpse to burn, or explode if it was critical.

Killing with poison used to cause corpses to liquify (don't know if it still does).

I mean.. you must not be paying attention pretty hardcore to have never noticed these things.

This are just visual effects, not effects that actually have an effect on the gameplay. Huge, huge difference.

The skills themselves have those kinds of things baked in, if it's necessary.

And, seriously, do we REALLY need yet more sources of damage like mobs getting a burn DoT effect from all Fire damage?
11/18/2018 07:03 AMPosted by Blashyrkh

Even if you somehow were right, how does that justify Diablo not featuring meaningful elemental effects?

Visual effects =/= fundamental mechanics. Learn the difference. An enemy burning or exploding won't make a difference in the way you play unless these effects actually have an effect in the way combat develops. You're basically saying a blue projectile is fundamentally different from a red projectile despite them doing the same thing, which is of course, completely absurd.

Crowd control and exploitable environmental features can actually change the way you play.

If you can't see what the difference is here, then I really don't know what else to tell you.
Back when it was called Umbra the devs explicitly stated they took inspiration from PoE.

As for who is copying what, I'm pretty sure they all stole this from IRL. Like when I hit something with fire it has a chance to ignite and burn. Hit something with enough cold and it freezes. I haven't tested all the mechanics yet, but I'm guessing the rest are similar.
Looks pretty cool. This should have been Diablo 4. What a shame.

Hopefully this game has a proper end-game and itemization captures the immersion from Diablo 2.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/upaladin.shtml
11/18/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Orrion
The skills themselves have those kinds of things baked in, if it's necessary.

Currently they don't. Currently it is just visual effects.

11/18/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Orrion
And, seriously, do we REALLY need yet more sources of damage like mobs getting a burn DoT effect from all Fire damage?

It would give the game more immersion and it would create more substantial differences between the different elements.

• Fire could have a 15% or 20% chance to cause the target to burn for xx% of the initial damage over 3 seconds for some additional damage.
  • Cold damage could slow enemies attack and movement speed by xx% for more defense.
  • Lightning damage could have a 35% chance to spark an additional lightning at a nearby enemy for more AoE.
  • Poison could deal 40% of its total damage instantly and the other 60% over 5 seconds while also either reducing the damage the target deals or increasing the damage it takes during this 5 seconds by ~10%, so it could either be more offensively or more defensively oriented (or maybe even both).
  • Not sure what arcane and physical could do tbh...
  • You can do similar things with weapons as well, by giving each type of weapon a different innate affix, for example hammers could have a chance to stun enemies, daggers could have a chance to cause bleed, axes could have Execute which instantly kills enemies when they are below x% health, swords could have chance to parry/block etc...

You see, this would make the different elemental and weapon types much, much more interesting and unique and therefore much more interesting (assuming that it is well balanced).
    Playing a lightning mage atm and hitting enemies standing in water is still making me smile a lot.
    11/18/2018 11:33 AMPosted by clueso
    11/18/2018 07:22 AMPosted by CyLaNt
    Hmmm sounds like PoE.....

Ignite, chill and shock

As you can see in the video that I linked in my original post, which is the official Diablo 3 announcement and gameplay trailer from 2008, D3 had this long before PoE.

Not going to bother with the vid.

Regardless of who did it first....its who is doing it best. Right now I think we all know which game that is.
    11/19/2018 08:37 AMPosted by CyLaNt
    11/18/2018 11:33 AMPosted by clueso

Not going to bother with the vid.

Regardless of who did it first....its who is doing it best. Right now I think we all know which game that is.

It actually could have been D3, if they had not casualized and dumped down basically everything, from items, attributes, skills, passive skills to things like this...