[Poll] Where would you place the camera in diablo 4?

General Discussion
11/23/2018 12:58 PMPosted by DuckOfDeath
11/23/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Vhailor
I find it interesting that so many people are intent on sticking with an isometric view, despite the relatively prevalent desire to make Diablo a scarier, darker, more atmospheric experience. Isometric camera viewpoints are extremely limited in this regard; you're basically limited to the original Diablo's approach, which is to make the light radius quite small.

Anyway, I certainly don't mind the idea of an isometric camera returning, but I really don't envision Blizzard being capable of innovating anymore within an isometric ARPG experience. D3 felt very much like a refinement of D2, and I highly suspect that if the core gameplay (hand-in-hand with the camera) doesn't change, D4 will be a further refinement of D3. As I don't want to see this, I think a shake-up is the way to go.

But I would suggest that everyone wanting an isometric camera experience, ask themselves whether or not it's worth the sort of shallow, low-atmosphere gameplay we have now. I'd put a 99% chance on that returning - likely in an even worse form - if the camera perspective remains unchanged.

For me the camera choice is not so much about atmosphere but more about gameplay. Directional controls of movement and targeting are the main thing I care about. Camera angles change how the game is played. It changes how much control you have over your abilities. For example. I like being able to vault in any direction. I like being able to drop bells all around me without having to spin the camera. The controls are the most important thing to me. Changing the camera changes the controls and that is unacceptable. If I wanted that type of gameplay I would play a game with that type of camera.
This is something I can under stand. We will have to wait and see how controllable the camera is if they do this. Maybe they will just give people the choice of how too play maybe?
11/23/2018 02:46 AMPosted by Alfie81
After watching the video of Rhykker and the post talking about the leaks of Diablo 4, I thought the developers might get help if we express our opinion on this controversial point. After all Blizzard is hearing... I guess...somewhere.... somewhat.

So let´s make a constructive discuss about this point (but I know that trolls are unavoidable) wich appears to be so mindbreaking for the devs.

As for myself, I would like to continue with isometric view but making the camera more adjustable enabling rotations, zooms, ocasional changes of perspective (for dramatic situations). And what about you, what would you like to see?

(Sorry if I committed any mistake, english it´s not my native language)

Right now, I'd like to "place" the camera up the PR management team's $$$.

I have no interest in discussing what D4 might be. I have no interest in debating what I'd like to see because anyway, who cares? They'll do what they want. Hopefully it's good, but my input wouldn't change much even if it was awesome.

I have no interest in D4 because as we stand, right now, until someone FROM Blizzard confirms anything, there is NO D4. Just vaporware hanging in the air...

Hope is crap. Facts rock.
Isometric fixed camera is part of what made Diablo ... well Diablo.
I don't mind if there is 3rd person Diablo game but only as a spinoff not Diablo 4
Diablo isn't $&% WoW, nor a fps, or anything of that sort.

It's an isometric arpg. period. If they can't innovate the Diablo franchise beyond moving the camera, they should just throw in the towel and let someone else try.

I won't even consider buying D4 if it's over-the-shoulder.
Think Neverwinter nights.
The camera was flexible in that you could play over the shoulder or pan it back isometric, you could have it click to move or used Wasd.
11/23/2018 12:58 PMPosted by DuckOfDeath
I find it interesting that so many people are intent on sticking with an isometric view, despite the relatively prevalent desire to make Diablo a scarier, darker, more atmospheric experience. Isometric camera viewpoints are extremely limited in this regard; you're basically limited to the original Diablo's approach, which is to make the light radius quite small.

Anyway, I certainly don't mind the idea of an isometric camera returning, but I really don't envision Blizzard being capable of innovating anymore within an isometric ARPG experience. D3 felt very much like a refinement of D2, and I highly suspect that if the core gameplay (hand-in-hand with the camera) doesn't change, D4 will be a further refinement of D3. As I don't want to see this, I think a shake-up is the way to go.

But I would suggest that everyone wanting an isometric camera experience, ask themselves whether or not it's worth the sort of shallow, low-atmosphere gameplay we have now. I'd put a 99% chance on that returning - likely in an even worse form - if the camera perspective remains unchanged.

For me the camera choice is not so much about atmosphere but more about gameplay. Directional controls of movement and targeting are the main thing I care about. Camera angles change how the game is played. It changes how much control you have over your abilities. For example. I like being able to vault in any direction. I like being able to drop bells all around me without having to spin the camera. The controls are the most important thing to me. Changing the camera changes the controls and that is unacceptable. If I wanted that type of gameplay I would play a game with that type of camera.

Exactly. You can't fight stuff "behind" you very well with OTS (over the shoulder), it severely restricts combat mechanics in that you are only seeing stuff in front of you.
OTS games can't have tons of mobs swarm you from all directions, which is a trademark of isometric gameplay.
But I would suggest that everyone wanting an isometric camera experience, ask themselves whether or not it's worth the sort of shallow, low-atmosphere gameplay we have now.

Being able to see clearly where I'm going and what's going on around me on all sides without having to spin my character around is more important to me than a spooky atmosphere due to a limited perspective.

I like adjustable first-/third-person camera angles in some games (ex., classic Tomb Raider, WoW), but those play very differently than Diablo games do.
Simple

Make it somewhat versatile...

Keyboard mode : isometric
Controller mode : Just like the switch, slightly lower to make it more immersive.
11/23/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Imperius
Simple

Make it somewhat versatile...

Keyboard mode : isometric
Controller mode : Just like the switch, slightly lower to make it more immersive.
Could be done.
Isometric, period.
If they change from Isometric, their sales will plummet.
It would be suicide to do that to this game.
As long as it's PC or console I actually don't care where they put the camera. I wanna play a new diablo game without getting burned out by repetitiveness and getting rewarded for exploring, and encouraged to do so by sheer randomness. Camera angle is a rather petty detail for me compared to gameplay experience I can get.

As long as they don't call it Diablo 4, I have no issues with a 3rd person dungeon crawler with more interactive but slow paced combat. They can call it, Diablo: Immolation for all I care.
Better is better, isn’t that what their exec said? It works, don’t !@#$ with it.

Unless they are making wowstyle mmo
3rd person so big creatures can be big.
Down voting something because he wants to know your opinions. Forum trolls are sad sad little people.
I like how people are downvoting anyone who disagrees or wouldn’t mind a non isometric pov. I wouldn’t like an OTS pov at all for Diablo but yall are just childish at this point.

However!

One must consider that with an isometric pov, the game’s atmosphere, graphical reach, immersion, overall scope will be severely hindered. There’s only so much you can do with that pov. It’s great because you can see and kill things from all sides, but you can’t see too far in any of the directions you are in.

I think a 3rd person that draws more inspiration from an MMO would be ideal. A lot could be done there to please everyone.

Or please no one.
There is no D4, but if it was... isometric
11/23/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Midnight
There is no D4, but if it was... isometric
Come on don't have such a limited imagination.