Stop Pushing POE on us.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
Here's a direct quote I just copied from the /r/pathofexile forum that a new Diablo 3 player posted:

I made it to act 4 since I started yesterday and I'm starting to get my teeth kicked in, so I join a random group that's "just starting act 4", and holy !@#$ did I not know what to expect. It was immediately this "go go go" mentality and my poor templar is waaaaay behind, trying to keep up with these flashy players with all these fancy microtransaction cosmetics going mach 3 through the entire act, and by the time I get the quest to progress to the next area, they're already 3 or 4 stages ahead. Even the "slow" groups I joined did this, but I think what happened is a fast player joined and the slower host player just abandoned the party.

Maybe if the game feels slow it's because you aren't good at it? hmm...
11/05/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Suedomsa
11/05/2018 10:38 AMPosted by AngryPillow
These recent events got me to try POE, and I'm having more fun than I've had with any Blizzard title in years. I love the visual style, and the skill system.

Yea its a fun and nice looking game. As is Grim Dawn. Those are the two best options right now. Well there is D3 still, I really hope we get some new D3 content.

Blizzard's interpretation: What's that? You want more stuff in D3? Time to add the microtransactions, players will love it! Do you guys not have money?
11/05/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Blackthorn
I play Maple Story 2!

*ducks*

Now hold it just a darn minute there...there's a Maple Story TWO????
Hey I thought Pillars of Eternity was a great game.
I agree with the op to 100% - PoE looks cheap, feels cheap and plays cheap and its not what i would name a "1st class game" - tbh not even a 2nd class game. Lacking quality in all aspects.
11/05/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Edgeta
11/05/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Blackthorn
I play Maple Story 2!

*ducks*

Now hold it just a darn minute there...there's a Maple Story TWO????

Yup. 3D too. Quite fun to play.

Back on topic. PoE is quite a bit to digest for new players. Especially coming in from D3. Its one of those "You vs the guy she told you not to worry about" kind of comparisons.
11/05/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Arobee
Blizzard's interpretation: What's that? You want more stuff in D3? Time to add the microtransactions, players will love it! Do you guys not have money?

I could go for another class pack like the necromancer. Actually they owe us a 3 in one package after the DI incident at Blizzcon. I vlote Druid/Amazon/ and something else.
Never got passed Act 3 I think, and I even bought it when they where still doing Act1 if I remember correctly.
Still ugly, and still not my type of arpg :/
11/05/2018 10:20 AMPosted by Streeturchin
POE is a mediocre game with slow gameplay, ugly animations, and a clunky talent system.

¡¿Are you serious?!

Another words, you never played D2 before. Or even, you neither played FFX and enjoy the ability tree...That's sad men.
People who don't like PoE are the ones who buy games for graphics (even though PoE's are fantastic with amazing lighting and theme, they just don't have the colorful style that's trendy) and don't understand or care about good mechanics from bad mechanics.

It's a good filter.
11/05/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Suedomsa
11/05/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Arobee

I could go for another class pack like the necromancer. Actually they owe us a 3 in one package after the DI incident at Blizzcon. I vlote Druid/Amazon/ and something else.

Amazon, Druid, and Red Shirt Guy
Just installed PoE last night, gonna give it a whirl tonight.

Let me know.
11/05/2018 10:29 AMPosted by mkdr
I agree. PoE is one of the most uglies game I know. I may have decent gameplay, but the entire game design is pure disgusting ugly. They should hire maybe some artists who know how to properly design.

- the talent """system""" is a !@#$ing mess and garbage, no structure, just in a style not made for humans
- ALL icons look like made with Ms Paint
- the "render" graphics look like made with Blender
- the entire game looks like the programmers made the graphics too
- the worst are the gems and character inventory, cant go more ugly
- nothing "fits" in the game, no structure
- the worst... the garbage "loot system" spamming your screen with 1000 items drops per second, and then you have to use filters, and that does no help at all
- then if you slash monsters, the entire screen is one big pixel explotion every second
- you 1hit 100 monsters per second

It is just one big mess.

Lol go home your drunk
Do you guys remember when D1/D2 came out? Its glorious graphics? The beauty ... oh the pixelated beauty!

... jokes aside, the game does NOT need to be pretty, in fact I would argue it should not be pretty. (Yes my opinion, if you don't like it press "F")

You know what it should have been? Just like D1 and mostly D2, make it as ugly as you can, blood and guts everywhere where demons appear, civilians crying in their hopelessness, you cannot see your enemies properly because no gear is giving off proper light, because no "sparkly" gear and the unnatural darkness follows wherever demons appear...

You supposed to be hunting for Diablo the Lord of Hell him self and not a "my little pony friendship is magic" character... but hey ... the way the things are going, THAT is what we will end up with.

The D4 experience will end up being (Drum roll):
The chase for horned "my little pony friendship is magic".
-on mobile
-battleroyale
-cardgame
-with timed microtransactions
-that plays itself automatically

And that will talk to the "wider audience".
And people will buy that.
And Activision will make millions.

Because that is what makes money. And that's what we are all here to do pumpkins. We all are here to make money! Not some money, not most the money, ALL the money! By any legal means possible! ... also, no criticism please! (No, seriously guys. Activision -> Youtube decrees it.)
11/05/2018 10:53 AMPosted by Seeders
People who don't like PoE are the ones who buy games for graphics (even though PoE's are fantastic with amazing lighting and theme, they just don't have the colorful style that's trendy) and don't understand or care about good mechanics from bad mechanics.

It's a good filter.

-POE is for keyboard masters.
-POE is for the same D3 players who look outside the game for meta builds.

-'loving the fun and complex skill system' is alot of BS hypocrisy.

players can't be proud being good at POE, compared to others.
they get their keyboard talent and the perfect builds for free.
11/05/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Arobee
11/05/2018 10:29 AMPosted by mkdr
I agree. PoE is one of the most uglies game I know. I may have decent gameplay, but the entire game design is pure disgusting ugly. They should hire maybe some artists who know how to properly design.

- the talent """system""" is a !@#$ing mess and garbage, no structure, just in a style not made for humans
- ALL icons look like made with Ms Paint
- the "render" graphics look like made with Blender
- the entire game looks like the programmers made the graphics too
- the worst are the gems and character inventory, cant go more ugly
- nothing "fits" in the game, no structure
- the worst... the garbage "loot system" spamming your screen with 1000 items drops per second, and then you have to use filters, and that does no help at all
- then if you slash monsters, the entire screen is one big pixel explotion every second
- you 1hit 100 monsters per second

It is just one big mess.

Translation: This game's too hard and it's scary! I don't like it! Why do I have to figure things out? I can't do it! It's a bad game!

I have over 1000 hours in PoE and played it this season extensively, but some of his criticisms are not that far off target.

Pixel explosions often make it difficult to register mob behaviour and spells. Getting 1shot and not knowing why, who or what just killed you sucks. Graphically seriously outdated, sometimes ugly is a fair assessment. Skill/gem system/interaction is so complex, it opens doors to imbalance. Double dipping, elemental conversion, abyssal jewel stacking etc. creates overpowered flavours of the month. Unplayable without lootfilters. (and my personal gripe: limited portals)

I respect PoE, but it is not without some flaws.
I did not like PoE but didn't give it much chance. Clunky gameplay, boring passive skill tree with a bunch of filler, skill gem system - while interesting itself - I don't like tied to the gear. Didn't make it to end game but it just doesn't appeal to me.
11/05/2018 10:53 AMPosted by Seeders

It's a good filter.

-POE is for keyboard masters.
-POE is for the same D3 players who look outside the game for meta builds.

-'loving the fun and complex skill system' is alot of BS hypocrisy.

players can't be proud being good at POE, compared to others.
they get their keyboard talent and the perfect builds for free.

lmao what? Keyboard talent for free? What does that even mean. The mental gymnastics you have to go through to convince yourself that PoE is a bad game...

11/05/2018 11:14 AMPosted by UngivenFame
I did not like PoE but didn't give it much chance. Clunky gameplay, boring passive skill tree with a bunch of filler, skill gem system - while interesting itself - I don't like tied to the gear. Didn't make it to end game but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Bad characters make for clunky gameplay. That's the beauty of the system. Good decisions get rewarded with a smooth and strong character.

It takes effort, and isn't handed to you.
PoE gets better every year. I come back to it about once a year and it's better every time. It's not a game that you can just pick up and play for the first time and have a great time because there's a lot of management all over the place, which means it's not for everyone. Even Grim Dawn has a fair bit of information to throw in your face, especially when you realize there's an entirely separate universal 'skill tree' within 'Devotion', but it's kind of the halfway house between D3 if you're sick of D3 and PoE if you get overwhelmed every time you try and play the game.

Wolcen seems to be in development for all eternity, I have never bothered to look at Last Epoch, and the last I heard on Lost Ark was no plans for the west even though it has a beta in a few days? I could be wrong on LA. Torchlight Frontiers has a beta coming somewhat soon so maybe start looking into that. Max Schaefer is working on the new Torchlight game so hopefully that's good for the game, the Blizzard North guys are always worth checking up on.