Screened phone questions at quarterly earnings report?

General Discussion
Apparently "muted" fan reaction was as far as it went. Thanks for transcripts.

EDIT User twenty5six has corrected me. Thanks
There was a Diablo question about the timing of Diablo Immortal. There was nothing new or noteworthy given in the answer. That is it was the same PR speak we've heard all week.

It was mentioned that there are multiple projects happening and they expect that Diablo Immortal will be a strong success particularly in China. There wasn't anything particularly insightful or of interest, I would think, regarding the answer given, towards the PC fan base.
The suits cower when men in red shirts step up to the mic.
11/08/2018 02:19 PMPosted by twenty5six
There was a Diablo question about the timing of Diablo Immortal. There was nothing new or noteworthy given in the answer. That is it was the same PR speak we've heard all week.

Thanks for the clarification. I am at work and was in and out for most of the conference.

Not one single mention of "player response" or anything?
Hold your finger and thumb one point five centimeters apart. That's how much investors care about the Diablo franchise.

They care about the franchises that turn a profit. And they don't care to listen to whiny children with no understanding of business cry over the phone.

Sad day for you. And no...I'm certainly not surprised. But for a different reason than most of you entitled little babies.
Posted by Jinx
From the call:

Q: Thank you for taking my question. Diablo Immortal. Can you give us more color and how we should think about the timing of that?

A: Hi. This is Jay. So, we seen some interesting reaction to the announcement. I think that it's clear that there is a lot of players who are eager for more Diablo PC and console content. I think that came through loud and clear from BlizzCon. And frankly, we feel fortunate to have a community they cares so much about that franchise. The commitment and the engagement of our community is one of the things that makes Blizzard very special. Something we really appreciate, and you know, we like to hear the plan -- hear the things that they articulate as to what they want to hear next and what we can do better, frankly.

Diablo is an important tent pole franchise for Blizzard Entertainment and we have one of the things we said is we have multiple teams working on multiple different projects for the Diablo community.

We feel that Diablo Immortal is going to deliver a very authentic Diablo experience and we are not going to compromise on that mission. Launching the game is only going to be the beginning. There is going to be ongoing support and we are only going to release the game when we feel like it is meeting the community's very high standards. In the end, Diablo Immortal is going to fulfill that and we think that people are going to experience it and we think they are going to love it.

Regarding the opportunity for Diablo and specifically on mobile, I think it is a very significant opportunity. Mobile is the biggest platform in gaming today and taking a game like mobile on to that platform in a way that is really reflecting our quality standards, I think it really opens a lot of the franchise and other franchises to a global audience, including people who don't have PCs or especially in China where Blizzard is a very, very strong western brand.

Regarding the timing, that's something that we will talk about as we go forward. It is very important that we release the game and is it an excellent experience when it is released.

One thing to add, Brian, is when we got the feedback from people actually who had the chance on a hands on basis to play the game, it was really positive positive.
11/08/2018 02:21 PMPosted by killertcell
11/08/2018 02:19 PMPosted by twenty5six

Thanks for the clarification. I am at work and was in and out for most of the conference.

They mentioned that player response was " muted ".

It was briefly touched on that it was clear that their is a definite desire from the fan base for new content on PC/console, but nothing further was offered in terms of new information.
11/08/2018 02:21 PMPosted by killertcell

Yes it did come up a few times. They deflected and minimized it. They called it a "muted" response from the current fan base. They also stated they think it will still be a hit with us. Nothing at all on new PC content..
Nah the guys asking the questions are the big sugar daddys. They will take the allowance from them in a swift second if they don't get the right answer.
The response has been anything but "Muted".
Sigh. I mean maybe we really should just give up on Blizzard. It doesn't seem like they have anything going for PC. It's all about Immortal.
Seems honest enough to me...even if it was subconscious.

Muted - synonym - muffled.

Muffled

muf·fled
[ˈməf(ə)ld]

ADJECTIVE
(of a sound) not loud because of being obstructed in some way; muted.
Isn't lying to share holders a crime? Because it wasn't a "muted" reaction at all.
Yes it did come up a few times. They deflected and minimized it. They called it a "muted" response from the current fan base. They also stated they think it will still be a hit with us. Nothing at all on new PC content..

..and the current mood will be a storm in a teacup if D:I is microtransaction loaded.

Has anyone besides me noticed that we STILL dont have any word on HOW this will be monetised?
11/08/2018 02:45 PMPosted by oneredflag
The response has been anything but "Muted".

"The response has been muted"...i.e. silenced by removing dislikes and negative comments.
11/08/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Grumpylock

..and the current mood will be a storm in a teacup if D:I is microtransaction loaded.

Has anyone besides me noticed that we STILL dont have any word on HOW this will be monetised?

Everyone noticed and commented on it when they deflected the question at Blizzcon. They have "not decided" the business model. Most of us don't think that is true, esp with NetEase having so many prior games with MTX.
Investors don’t seem to be buying their song and dance, given that they got clobbered in after hours trading and will probably get clobbered in the morning.
Just to put some of this in perspective: We're not the intended audience with the quarterly conference calls.

These calls are designed to put the best face forward to the investors, not us consumers. For the most part investors rarely care about the individual aspects of the company, but instead the future outlook as a whole. Usually they only really care about individual components or aspects when they may pose a risk to their bottom line.

In this case, as much as we want it to be about us the truth is it isn't. We'll need to wait until we get a response here for that