How to use weapons?

General Discussion
The game is so bad and so boring and so easy—the barbarian has a throw skill, but there are no throwing weapons.
11/26/2018 05:26 AMPosted by Thorgor
The OP reminded me of this comic:
http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/73/EA/61bff80f768773ea.jpg

Yup. Wiz also hangs her weapon and source on her belt and tickles the air with her fingers.
11/26/2018 05:12 AMPosted by Kirottu
11/26/2018 05:07 AMPosted by Demian
On top of everything I said before, the game is incredibly easy!! I'm playing it in hard difficulty and all I have to do is just point and click. There is no challenge, no chance of dying whatsoever.

Try GR100+ without a proper build. Let's see if that's still just point and click.

edit:

Until you get to adventure mode and have level 70 character, you are essentially playing "tutorial mode".

Well if you are telling me that the game is a mindless boring grind until you get who knows how many hours into the game, then you are actually proving my point.. The 2 previous Diablo games were fun from the start.
If you keep the same mindset for season 16

https://www.diablofans.com/builds/101181-inna-tempest-rush-2-6-4-ptr

You can cube the mace and play with the staff if you have a good one.
You can crank the difficulty up higher, if you feel its still too easy. Keep in mind, after level 70, you have 17 difficulties in the game. 17!!!

After level 40 or so, the gearing falls behind the difficulty increase and you find it starts to get tougher. But its all just a leveling thing till you hit 70. Then its about grinding to better the gear and work into a build that you like to play.

I find that when leveling a new character in a season for example, I try to play at a hard enough difficulty where I gain more levels vs time invested yet not where I'm beating my head on a wall killing stuff.

I usually use this for an example:

If you are killing goblins between 6-10 seconds, you are right about where you should be. If it takes more than 15 seconds, you will be more efficient a level lower than where you are. If you are taking 30-60 seconds, you are not doing enough damage and should lower the level or gear up better for damage output. If you spend 3 times longer killing stuff at a level higher than me, and I'm killing stuff 3 times faster, I'm going to level quicker, simply because its more efficient.

Right now however, I'm killing goblins and elite packs in 2 seconds or less at the highest difficulty. Which is insane, but most of the top builds for these classes are capable of that.

But typically I use how fast I kill a goblin as a way to measure where I should be in difficulty during a solo leveling run.
11/26/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Demian
11/26/2018 05:12 AMPosted by Kirottu

Try GR100+ without a proper build. Let's see if that's still just point and click.

edit:

Until you get to adventure mode and have level 70 character, you are essentially playing "tutorial mode".

Well if you are telling me that the game is a mindless boring grind until you get who knows how many hours into the game, then you are actually proving my point.. The 2 previous Diablo games were fun from the start.

Obvious troll is obvious. The first play through the story mode is pretty great. If you can't find any joy there or havent tried it yet, then you're not really a Diablo fan and just here to sling mud at the game.

It's fine to not like the game and its fine to criticize it... but you best have heavy experience with it if you want anyone to take you seriously.
11/26/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Demian

I'm not saying some of the design decisions are brilliant (because they are not), I'm just saying D3 took different approach on several aspects compared to the predecessors.

Fortunately getting level 70 takes merely a few hours, even playing solo. When leveling a character, instead of challenge you prioritize efficiency.
11/25/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Demian
So I equipped it but... I don't seem to have any skill to actually hit with it.

That's because this game is not an RPG.
This reminds me quite a bit of the Three Billy Goats Gruff.
11/26/2018 02:10 PMPosted by McCloud
So I equipped it but... I don't seem to have any skill to actually hit with it.

Define RPG...

Honestly you can't possibly say it's not an RPG based on that... Maybe it's not your king of RPG but it is one nonetheless
Don't worry about weapons!
Worry about phones!
Do you no have a phone?
- Wyatt Cheng.
11/25/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Demian
Jesus christ.... pointless weapons, no quests, no stats, no music, no skill tree... this is the worst diablo game ever isn't it?

Can I just ask for my money back?

Well there is a reason why alot of old D2 fans moved to Path of Exile...D3s dissapointment has no doubt led to PoEs success.
Weapons on D3 aren't in the game to be used as weapons;

they are in the game to make mage's fireballs and monk's punches stronger. Remember, more big and sharp the axe is, more heat your fireball can produce and more force your punch(as a monk) can deal.

And remember the ultimate punching technique.
Desmaterialize the axe
Punch
Rematerialize it

11/26/2018 02:22 PMPosted by Imperius
11/26/2018 02:10 PMPosted by McCloud

Define RPG...

Honestly you can't possibly say it's not an RPG based on that... Maybe it's not your king of RPG but it is one nonetheless

RPG = role play game, not every game that you play a role is a RPG, but if the focus on the RPG is the role play, the game is a RPG. This is why Fallout New Vegas is a RPG and a CoD isn't, because an anti materiel rifle in the hands of someone with stats and skills is completely different than the same weapon in another player hands.

D3 everyone of the same class is a clone, only the gear change; here is my threat about how make Diablo RPG again > https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769549779?page=1
Hello guys, I'm new to the game, but I've played both D1 and D2. I started my first playthrough today, as a monk, which I choose becase I love staves. After a while through the game, I finally find my first staff, and nothing less than a yellow one! So I equipped it but... I don't seem to have any skill to actually hit with it. I am level 10, I can punch, kick but I don't know how to acually use the weapons. Can you guys help me here? Sorry for the newb question.

You use the weapon by carrying it on the monk's back. This way, it'll make your fists and kicks more powerful. Funny isn't it? But it's true.
Jesus christ.... pointless weapons, no quests, no stats, no music, no skill tree... this is the worst diablo game ever isn't it?

Welcome to the feeling the majority of D 1 & 2 players felt in 2012.

Except we were constantly told how feeling like this game sucks is just nostalgia.
11/26/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Sparrow

Welcome to the feeling the majority of D 1 & 2 players felt in 2012.

Except we were constantly told how feeling like this game sucks is just nostalgia.

Yup pretty much that.
Yep the weapon implementation on the monk has always been awkward to me.
He walks around with a staff and then when he strikes with his fist, somehow the staff vanishes from his hands.
Was a facepalm moment for me.
11/26/2018 01:21 PMPosted by DTMAce
You can crank the difficulty up higher, if you feel its still too easy. Keep in mind, after level 70, you have 17 difficulties in the game. 17!!!

After level 40 or so, the gearing falls behind the difficulty increase and you find it starts to get tougher. But its all just a leveling thing till you hit 70. Then its about grinding to better the gear and work into a build that you like to play.

I find that when leveling a new character in a season for example, I try to play at a hard enough difficulty where I gain more levels vs time invested yet not where I'm beating my head on a wall killing stuff.

I usually use this for an example:

If you are killing goblins between 6-10 seconds, you are right about where you should be. If it takes more than 15 seconds, you will be more efficient a level lower than where you are. If you are taking 30-60 seconds, you are not doing enough damage and should lower the level or gear up better for damage output. If you spend 3 times longer killing stuff at a level higher than me, and I'm killing stuff 3 times faster, I'm going to level quicker, simply because its more efficient.

Right now however, I'm killing goblins and elite packs in 2 seconds or less at the highest difficulty. Which is insane, but most of the top builds for these classes are capable of that.

But typically I use how fast I kill a goblin as a way to measure where I should be in difficulty during a solo leveling run.

So you think it's ok to have basic features locked until you beat the game? Features that any other game would give you the second you turn on the game?

The amount of free passes and excuses this game gets for it's bad design is astouding.
11/26/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Amira
Hello guys, I'm new to the game, but I've played both D1 and D2. I started my first playthrough today, as a monk, which I choose becase I love staves. After a while through the game, I finally find my first staff, and nothing less than a yellow one! So I equipped it but... I don't seem to have any skill to actually hit with it. I am level 10, I can punch, kick but I don't know how to acually use the weapons. Can you guys help me here? Sorry for the newb question.

You use the weapon by carrying it on the monk's back. This way, it'll make your fists and kicks more powerful. Funny isn't it? But it's true.

When I go to the gym I always make sure to equip my Belt of Strength. It allows me to bench 600 lbs without breaking a sweat.
Without it I couldn't even lift the bar.

Also, when I play softball I just hang the bat from my belt because it just gets in the way when I swing my arms at the ball.

Then I wake up and am grateful that I don't live in D3.