2-Handed Weapons + 2 Sockets?

General Discussion
Maybe.....2-handed weapons should be able to craft/have 2 sockets!
No. They already have a higher base damage.
10/10/2018 09:08 AMPosted by DonMartin
No. They already have a higher base damage.
Ok :'(
2H weapons used to be the way to go but then legendary powers on items became out of control. In vanilla 2h weapons could also roll with 2 sockets, they were very good for slow, channeling builds.
10/10/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Vdizzle
In vanilla 2h weapons could also roll with 2 sockets, they were very good for slow, channeling builds.

Just few of them though: I remember Manticore and, what else?
10/10/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Nisciunu
10/10/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Vdizzle
In vanilla 2h weapons could also roll with 2 sockets, they were very good for slow, channeling builds.

Just few of them though: I remember Manticore and, what else?

Primarily Manticore and Skorn.

Actually I think I could be remembering wrong on Skorn. It could roll with double CHD rolls and a socket, giving it 150%+ CHD then add an Emerald.
Actually I think I could be remembering wrong on Skorn. It could roll with double CHD rolls and a socket.

I don't recall Skorn with two sockets but it's been a lot of years.
I do remember wanting a lot of Life Steal and a high Bleed value though.
The only weapon that ever had more than one socket was the Manticore.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
10/10/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Meteorblade
Actually I think I could be remembering wrong on Skorn. It could roll with double CHD rolls and a socket.

I don't recall Skorn with two sockets but it's been a lot of years.
I do remember wanting a lot of Life Steal and a high Bleed value though.
Skorn never rolled 2 sockets. The only weapon that could ever roll 2 sockets was Manticore back in the day.
On a quick glance two cokets on a 2H weapon might seem reasonable. But when you start thinking things further, you'll soon realize how broken balancing would get.

Currently things are like this:
Dual wield 1H weapons: 2x 130% CHD
1H weapon + offhand: 130% CHD + 10% CHC
2H weapon: 130% CHD

Clearly 2H weapons have a disadvantage, right? The big problem is that crusaders can wield 2H weapon and shield simultaneously. If 2H weapons could have two sockets, that'd mean crusader would get 2x 130% CHD + 10% CHC, a massive advantage over all other classes.

2H weapons do need some rethinking to make them usable by other classes as well. Extra socket however is not the answer.
What actually needs socket is the belt. Why can't we put a shiny gem in the buckle? Makes sense right lol
Manticore was ridiculously powerful because of the double sockets. But also virtually impossible to get. I remember people drooling over screenshots of demon hunters (the first god class) critting with Manticore for a few hundred k, which was absurd at the time.
10/10/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Lobsterbash
Manticore was ridiculously powerful because of the double sockets. But also virtually impossible to get.

I got a dual-socket Manticore during vanilla, when the GAH/RMAH were still a thing and at first glance I thought I'd hit the jackpot (I played just Barbarian at the time). Sadly, this was also in the days of Loot v1 and it rolled with INT so was pretty much worthless.
10/10/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Meteorblade
10/10/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Lobsterbash
Manticore was ridiculously powerful because of the double sockets. But also virtually impossible to get.

I got a dual-socket Manticore during vanilla, when the GAH/RMAH were still a thing and at first glance I thought I'd hit the jackpot (I played just Barbarian at the time). Sadly, this was also in the days of Loot v1 and it rolled with INT so was pretty much worthless.

Like this one? Yep, I remember those days.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/DTMAce-1687/hero/47081554
10/10/2018 10:13 AMPosted by DTMAce
Like this one? Yep, I remember those days.
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/DTMAce-1687/hero/47081554

Yep. I ended up giving it to my Witch Doctor (they could equip crossbows at the time - no idea if they still can)
2H weapons are dying because the brilliant balancing in this game decided that all the ones with somewhat important effect can just be cubed, so you can use a 1H+offhand for more legendary effects
10/10/2018 10:25 AMPosted by HolyDiver
2H weapons are dying because the brilliant balancing in this game decided that all the ones with somewhat important effect can just be cubed, so you can use a 1H+offhand for more legendary effects
I guess you never play Crusader then, or leapquake.
Beside Crusaders and Enchantress Follower, 2h only preferred at a few channel or DoT based build where IaS% don't grant much but min damage is the big player. If you gonna use a 2h melee and you're not a channeling spec, then it's crucial to have bleeding damage on it beside attack speed, or area damage.
Regardless, I always felt like 2h melee weapons need to have a specific roll that grants them a small amount of crit chance.
What’s silly is crusader can dual wield 2h. Barb can’t, so sad D2 to D3.
there was a glitch that lasted for a very short time where using a gift on an already socket'd weapon would give it 2 sockets....this was quickly rectified as it was extremely powerful