Swallow your pride Blizz

General Discussion
I can't believe how bad this PR nightmare has gotten. Give up, D:I will flop and if you persist in this folly, you may lose the whole Blizzard brand. We're not stupid, we know it's a money grab game and you're caught with the youtube comment and dislike deleting.

I assume this topic will be deleted.
11/07/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Flaze
I assume this topic will be deleted.

don't worry it wont Blizz wont go into the community forums that would mean seeing what the fan base is saying and they been ignoring the community for year DI is Proof.
Look, D:I will NOT flop. It will make a TON of money. Just not from PC gamers. They do not care about us. You spend roughly what maybe 100 bucks on this game?

While in D:I, in 6 years you would probably spend 500-1000 (maybe not you specifically but you catch my drift right?).

Thats how micro-transactions work... oh this is only a dollar... and then 150 dollars later, you beat that literally impossible boss unless you bought stuff. So yea. that is the life.... it will not flop... you will thank china for that.
Dude, the company will not sink because of a mobile game. Get a grip. Of course they punted bad on this one and it's okay to be mad but good grief.
what pride? dont you know blizzards new slogan?

"F you, give me money"
11/07/2018 10:20 AMPosted by cmdobueno
Look, D:I will NOT flop. It will make a TON of money. Just not from PC gamers. They do not care about us. You spend roughly what maybe 100 bucks on this game?

While in D:I, in 6 years you would probably spend 500-1000 (maybe not you specifically but you catch my drift right?).

Thats how micro-transactions work... oh this is only a dollar... and then 150 dollars later, you beat that literally impossible boss unless you bought stuff. So yea. that is the life.... it will not flop... you will thank china for that.

That is my take on it as well. I know we hurt right now...but part of what hurts is realizing Blizzard can move on without the core PC market and still be successful. I hate feeling irrelevant. It may not be TRUE, but that is how I felt after the announcement that DIE would not come to PC.
11/07/2018 10:29 AMPosted by MissCheetah

That is my take on it as well. I know we hurt right now...but part of what hurts is realizing Blizzard can move on without the core PC market and still be successful. I hate feeling irrelevant. It may not be TRUE, but that is how I felt after the announcement that DIE would not come to PC.

I suspect this mobile MTX craze will eventually bust though.
11/07/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Alcovitch
I suspect this mobile MTX craze will eventually bust though.

I don't know about that. People said that about other trends like D&D, console games, PC video games, etc. Here we are more than 20 years later and all are still going strong with gaming just expanding into new markets and via new payment models. It is not going to go away any more than TV entertainment has gone away. It will just evolve and move to new technology and delivery methods. Cable companies are an example of a failure to evolve with tech and the audience desires. I get why game companies are doing this, but failing to continue to support a large PC audience is a mistake. They need to do both to remain successful, for now anyway. We have not reached the time where mobile can replace the PC for great immersive gameplay.
The game feeds off the addiction of gambling.

What I can sense is that the game will be free with microtransactions that do minimal in progression. After seeing how poorly receptive that is, they begin to pump out items, buffs, etc. that would really enhance the gameplay in order to get players to actually pay for stuff which goes from Free2Play and down to Pay2Win.

Sadly, with that inevitability, I foresee the market saturating and perhaps sustaining in the long run.

Whether they decide to repurpose that boon into making a legitimate Diablo experience once more is left in the dust.

My personal theory on the intensity of the outrage and disappointment is a little different, although hard to prove and completely subjective.

For years Blizzard probably had the most loyal fans throughout the industry, who would always go out of their way to defend each and every step Blizzard took.

If you tried to look at things objectively, it was rather obvious that Blizzard has turned into the default publicly listed and completely profit driven AAA-publisher, but people preferred to wear blinders and didn't want to see it. Instead they kept pretending that Blizzard are the good guys, who put gamers first.

Look at wow for example, this is hands down one of the greediest business models in the whole industry right now - for years. Buy2Play game, full price expansions, monthly subscription, ridiculously overpriced character services, ridiculously overpriced ingame cosmetics shop, currency you can (indirectly) buy via real money, plus pushing people towards purchasing level boosts by making leveling more way more tedious than in previous expansions.

Everything about World of Warcraft screams "Greed!" in your face in the voice of Gordon Gekko, and still many many fans just refused to see it.

Then BfA releases and is a totally randomized and timegated trainwreck, and people begin to see through the cracks. I think the failure of BfA has made many players more skeptical towards Blizzard, and the announcement of Diablo Immortal was simply the straw that broke the (Brandy) Camel's back.

I feel that many have realized now that Blizzard isn't really anything special anymore, it's just your default greedy publisher that tries to make as much profit as possible by putting microtransactions and loot boxes into each and every game, plus the heresy of going mobile.

People are in grief over letting go of the idealized image they had of Blizzard. The first stage of grief was denial, and with Blizzcon we officially arrived at anger.

I think this is the subtext of what we are seeing here.
11/07/2018 10:37 AMPosted by MissCheetah
We have not reached the time where mobile can replace the PC for great immersive gameplay.

I don't think it ever will, or can. The point of mobile devices is that they are smaller and fit in your pocket. That small screen will never, ever replace a nice big 4k monitor.

Besides, it's silly to think that most people do not have a PC these days. Almost everyone living some kind of decent life has a PC, or at least a laptop.

Phones cost as much as laptops these days, it's crazy. But Blizzard usually designs games for PC with low-ish requirements. You can get a low end PC for cheap and play their games.

Hell, by the time you're done playing Diablo Immortal, you probably could have bought your PC and Diablo 3 again with the money you spent on micro-transactions.

But that's how mobile games work and why they are so successful. They nickle and dime you to death over a period of time.

It just sucks that Blizzard wants to pursue that. Profit profit profit. At the cost of fan trust and public relations.

*sigh*

EDIT: Also, I should have never posted this. Noooo my post count! :(
11/07/2018 10:49 AMPosted by error37
I feel that many have realized now that Blizzard isn't really anything special anymore, it's just your default greedy publisher that tries to make as much profit as possible by putting microtransactions and loot boxes into each and every game, plus the heresy of going mobile.

People are in grief over letting go of the idealized image they had of Blizzard. The first stage of grief was denial, and with Blizzcon we officially arrived at anger.

I really really don't want that to be true. The way DIE announcement was handled, the lack of PC content, the outsourcing, the possible full MTX model, the QA failures on major features like the season buff not working, have me shaken right now. I want so badly to believe my Blizzard is still my Blizzard.

When I talk to Blizz folks in person I really can tell how much the individuals care about the games and players. When I see Mgt decisions though, I am sometimes dumbfounded, confused, and angry on the part of the players (and myself).

The good thing is that we can also move and play great games without Blizzard, especially with them them refocussing on mobile.
Blizzard has swallowed alot of something and its not pride ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
11/07/2018 10:57 AMPosted by MissCheetah
11/07/2018 10:49 AMPosted by error37

I really really don't want that to be true. The way DIE announcement was handled, the lack of PC content, the outsourcing, the possible full MTX model, the QA failures on major features like the season buff not working, have me shaken right now. I want so badly to believe my Blizzard is still my Blizzard.

When I talk to Blizz folks in person I really can tell how much the individuals care about the games and players. When I see Mgt decisions though, I am sometimes dumbfounded, confused, and angry on the part of the players (and myself).

It's just a theory anyway, and since I'm not a sociologist chances are I won't be able to prove it ;)

I totally believe you when you say that there are great people working at Blizzard, I can totally see myself having a beer with Wyatt or whoever.

I am sure though that even in the most devious company, think big tobacco, pharma industry, weapons facilitator or hell, even in the Mexican drug cartel, you will most likely find great people who are amazing parents, partners, friends or colleagues (okay, the cartel maybe requires a different kind of personality to begin with).

But it's still management who's calling the shots about the direction of the company, and I feel that Blizzard is heading in a problematic direction for years.

I always expected that when this day would come and Blizzard would fall from grace to a degree that makes the most blind fanboy see, I would get some satisfaction out of a "told ya so!", but to be frank this whole thing left me feeling pretty empty.

DI will make more money off of 1000 whales than they would selling millions of copies of diablo 4.

Video gaming is about whaling these days, if you don't want games where you can spend 1000 bucks in a month on it you might need to find a different hobby than video gaming.

Maybe stuff like this will stop the people who blindly defend !@#$ty monetization practices, but you know the fanboys who think blizzard can do no wrong will defend then out of a primal fear that blizzard won't be around to make their games someday.

Maybe if they had received more pushback on OW lootboxes they wouldn't have seen the dollar signs and started trying to figure out how to shove them into every single IP they have.

Its ok, its just ~cosmetics~.