Why go mobile?

General Discussion
I don't like mobile games. They never feel right and the controls are just inferior to any gaming device, from PC to console to the Gameboy Advance...

That being said, I can't help but notice that all the 10-18 yo nowadays are playing mobile games to some extent. Whether it's at the café while waiting for their order or in the subway train. There's a big market for mobile games.

King, the makers of Candy Crush, constantly beat both Activision and Blizzard every quarter for the net profits they make. It is by far the most lucrative branch of Activision-Blizzard. All this mobile money is hard to resist and would certainly boost Blizzard's profits, which would result in more trust from the shareholders and Activision. Blizzard is often criticized for its lack of growth from quarter to quarter, which is a bit unfair considering that they are probably as big as they can possibly be as a PC games company.

The money from mobile games will far outweight the costs of making these games, to a point where Blizzard might become even more profitable than King. That money would then be more than enough to finance any project, however experimental it may be.

In the end, mobile games are not for PC gamers and will inevitably create a third market, aside from PC and consoles, that Blizzard will try to tap in as much as possible. That may be a good thing since mobile games have their own division at Blizzard, which is seperate from the PC and consoles division and it will help finance all the current and future projects.

Heck, Blizzard employees might one day get a reasonable raise that will bring their salaries to the average of the industry, which should already be the case or slightly higher if they are lucky.
A better question to ask:

Why unveil a mobile only game to your fanbase who are primarily pc gamers that have been severely starved for some form of significant pc gaming news and/or content?

After all, we already know why they're(?) making a mobile game, we just don't know why they handled things the way they did at blizzcon. It makes no logical sense whatsoever, unless they're desperate for attention...
11/29/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Oblivion
A better question to ask:

Why unveil a mobile only game to your fanbase who are primarily pc gamers that have been severely starved for some form of significant pc gaming news and/or content?

After all, we already know why they're(?) making a mobile game, we just don't know why they handled things the way they did at blizzcon. It makes no logical sense whatsoever, unless they're desperate for attention...

I think it comes from a generational gap problem. Most of the top devs are probably already fathers (or mothers, let's not forget the ladies) and those kids are most likely like other kids of the new generation... always on their phones playing games. It's not hard to come to the conclusion that their audience might have the same interest in mobile games and would be interested in having a Diablo game on the go.

Though they definitely underrestimated how PC-first/console-first the Diablo fans actually were.
Yes, it is all about chasing the MONEY. Blizzcon was wrong place, wrong time to announce. Mobile is just another market. Seems pc/console gamers are against growing the Diablo franchise. What is good for Blizzard should be good for pc/console gamers. Keep Diablo fanbase happy. Listen to feedback, then act upon it.
15 best RPGs for Android
RPGs have one of the most loyal followings of any gaming genre. Whether it’s Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft, people spend dozens of hours crafting characters, playing story lines, and enjoying themselves. RPGs were also one of the first genres to really hit it off on Android and there are a ton of them to choose from. Here are the best RPGs for Android. Please note that in this list, we’ll be tackling jRPGs and “standard” RPGs.
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-rpg-for-android-168154/

What about Path of Exile? Could POE be ported to mobile?
it could and i hope will happen eventually. the game isnt all that proc/vid intensive @ min settings so it shouldnt be an issue, if anyone knows the game bloodlines, the graphics for it were amazing, so if the game looked like that it would be fine. the controls arent all that complicated. but it would take a monumental task recompiling/writing the code to be able to run it as an ios app. which brings us back to the streaming idea. we could stream the game to the ipad/ios. and we would be able to play it. altho some of the controls would be a bit weird.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/45935/page/2

Activision Blizzard market strategy deals with accessing new markets, increasing monthly active user base, and managing its average revenue per user. Cloud computing and game streaming may provide the next step. Not everyone can afford expensive gaming computers.
Activision Blizzard Inc. is in talks with several global cloud-computing providers over the potential to provide streaming videogames

One of the most significant problems is the tiny delay, measured in milliseconds and known as latency, between a player and the data center where the game is streaming from. Because games are interactive and a split-second delay can be the difference between a character’s life or death, it’s not possible — at least yet

Johnson said the company thinks that videogame streaming will lead to faster growth because it may expand the audience of players to people who don’t have or can’t afford expensive gaming computers. It also means that avid fans can play on more devices and in more places.

“Even for existing gamers, streaming systems should be able to provide more easily accessible experiences, reducing friction, enabling deeper ongoing engagement throughout the day as the content is more available,” Johnson said.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-in-talks-with-cloud-providers-for-videogame-streaming-2018-08-02
There is nothing wrong with the concept of making a mobile game.

So long as you announce that game to the mobile market directly at a mobile focused event, and for your core audience have proof to show that they have something in the pipeline for them as well at a PC focused event.
I speak only for myself, but I get why they're quite literally phoning it in for a mobile game. It is quick, easy money. So make the stupid mobile game. I couldn't care less...as long as that's not all.

To me, the problem is and always will be that they tried to present an appetizer as a main course. Even the vaguest of teasers should have accompanied the announcement. Don't have footage or screenshots? A black screen with "IV" in flaming letters would have made people excited.
How many threads defending activision Blizard has the OP made? 100? 200?

Has to be working for Activision Blizzard to have this much defensive mode time.
Why go mobile? Johnny Manziel can answer:

https://media.giphy.com/media/13WgdJbPZ9AlHO/giphy.gif

or a bunch of people showing you why:

https://giphy.com/gifs/swag-money-make-it-rain-VTxmwaCEwSlZm
Candy Crush was one of its kind and established the market.

Diablo Immortal is a generic ARPG that will be chasing an existing market.

The only good thing about Diablo Immortal is that it's a short sighted money grabber that will easily be lost in the crowd once the ARPG app market becomes even more flooded.
11/29/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Howdypardner
How many threads defending activision Blizard has the OP made? 100? 200?

Has to be working for Activision Blizzard to have this much defensive mode time.

It's called free speech... not everyone is losing their cool over D:I and we can voice our opinion too
mobile games aren't actual "video games." they are tic tac games made to play in small spurts. there's a reason "gamers" mock mobile games b/c they are so ridiculously idiotic in terms of difficulty.

it'd be like if people started watching wiffle ball and bragging how superior it is to baseball. no, it isn't. it's just a dumbed down version of the sport. and mobile games are dumbed down versions of video games.

reason they are popular? b/c they make a lot of money. they exploit addictive natures and people prone to gambling addiction and feed on them like leeches. they also prey on rich spoiled kids who will happily spend thousands of dollars on their games just b/c they have so much cash to burn.

and sadly, we live in a world consumed with fraud and greed. blizzard isn't immune to it. could they be wildly successful sticking with PC games? of course, but last year they made like $2 billion for the year, and with mobile games they could be making $3-5 billion. doesn't matter that to do that they have to sell their souls and go down a cheap and tacky route.

it's definitely sad, but the only good thing is mobile games are a fickle market and companies come and go like clockwork. eventually, a company will market real games to fill the void for people, b/c there's still a huge demand for PC and console games. when blizzard collapses and tries to reenter the PC market, they'll be surprised that nobody will be running back. they'll be like another random company back in the 2000s trying to take advantage of trends with cheap and garbage made MMOs.
11/29/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Oblivion

They probably wrongly assumed the crowd were Diablo universe fans not just Diablo PC game fans.

(Like the people who read the Diablo books.)

And they completely misread the hunger for PC-related updates that went unsatiated.
11/29/2018 05:27 PMPosted by Mcslops
mobile games aren't actual "video games."

I know this is a #pcmasterrace rant which I can respect, but Fortnite is clearly a video game -- that doesn't change whether it's played on PC, on console, or on mobile.

Fortnite is also the top grossing game on the iOS store in the US.

https://www.appannie.com/en/apps/ios/top/united-states/games/iphone/
Just to answer you. Money. This is a business to reach as many players as possible. They even said this on interviews and stuff. This makes sense.

There is nothing wrong with Blizz making a mobile game. I think PC fans wouldn't mind its existence or even liked to have MORE diablo, if they weren't flat out ignored at that presentation. But as many have said: You go to an ice cream shop for ice cream and get handed a shoe.

The handling of a release is important. They handled this poorly. It's a HUGE indication of how the crowed boo'ed the people on stage, specially since this is not how things of this nature happen with Blizz. I'm glad we are not afraid to be vocal when something is !@#$ty even when it comes to Blizz.
On every phone I've owned, every time you download a new app it asks for credit card information.

Obviously Blizzard wants to get in on that. There is no other appeal to a mobile game. They are significantly less captivating and in depth than even the most boring PC games.
11/30/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Norbert
Why go mobile?

Many Blizzard employees are playing mobile games and their moving their best developers to mobile projects so it's natural to go mobile only.

If you would watch Blizz conference you would know that Blizz is now focusing with China market with Diablo Immortal ...(sorry to say this but you're not their targeted audience).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQ73V22kfI

Anyway Blizzard is loosing contact with their fans and current state of WoW and Diablo shows clearly that they don't understand their customers.

This is false.. Mobile is an addition to what they already do... It's not replacing anything. Mobile games are made by the incubation division and the only top Dev from the Diablo team in the incubation division is Wyatt Cheng.
11/29/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Imperius
I don't like mobile games.

D:I is for china, in case you didn't get the memo.
The money from mobile games will far outweight the costs of making these games, to a point where Blizzard might become even more profitable than King. That money would then be more than enough to finance any project, however experimental it may be.

So if they are making a crap ton of money for little effort on mobile trash, what incentive would they have to put a big chunk of that money into a new pc title where the development cost would be significant compared to mobile and the profits would be smaller.

Blizz is a for profit corporation, not a non-profit company. They will go the way where they can maximize their profits for the least amount of effort. They have already said they have many of their best developers working on new mobile projects. They will try to keep living off their reputation as one of they tops in the PC industry, but expect the quality and quantity of the content to diminish and anything they make PC will be simplistic enough to port to mobile.

They see the mobile market as a gold mine, and have no problem stepping on their PC base to get to it. I am begging them to prove me wrong. I hope I get rekt by them, but the way they are trending, I doubt this will happen.
11/30/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Alexismad

So if they are making a crap ton of money for little effort on mobile trash, what incentive would they have to put a big chunk of that money into a new pc title where the development cost would be significant compared to mobile and the profits would be smaller.

Blizz is a for profit corporation, not a non-profit company. They will go the way where they can maximize their profits for the least amount of effort. They have already said they have many of their best developers working on new mobile projects. They will try to keep living off their reputation as one of they tops in the PC industry, but expect the quality and quantity of the content to diminish and anything they make PC will be simplistic enough to port to mobile.

They see the mobile market as a gold mine, and have no problem stepping on their PC base to get to it. I am begging them to prove me wrong. I hope I get rekt by them, but the way they are trending, I doubt this will happen.

Smilegate, the makers of Lost Ark, are known for making p2w mobile games, they still spent the time and resources to make Lost Ark which won't be as profitable as the mobile games in terms of spendings vs profits