Diablo II Full Screen Windows 10

General Discussion
I know this is Diablo III Forums, But didn't see Diablo II so, I'm here...
Okay guys, this has been an ongoing issue with people and Windows 10 or newer systems getting the vertical "Black Bars" when playing Diablo II.
Well I'm here to tell you there is a SUPER easy fix that doesn't require mods, or altering text files, or typing -w in shortcut commands.
If you are using an Intel CPU, any new one, I have 7700HQ in my laptop. It's literally as simple as opening "Intel HD Graphics utility" (right click on your desktop and you will see it) and going to "Screen" settings... in that tab, you will see an option at the bottom under "Scaling" then check "Scale Full Screen" and your DONE!!!

No more mods, no more wraps, no more fullscreen windowed mode, no more compatability modes ect. The game will default to running integrated graphics anyways, and this will NOT effect anything else you do on your laptop. But D2 and LOD will automatically fill your entire screen, and look good at the same time:)
As far as AMD users, same steps but I'm not familiar with catalyst software.

Enjoy guys!
Thanks for this! I installed D2 last week but haven't gotten around to configging yet. Can't wait to play again. Cheers!
12/03/2018 12:45 PMPosted by TheExxorcist
Okay guys, this has been an ongoing issue with people and Windows 10 or newer systems getting the vertical "Black Bars" when playing Diablo II.
Well I'm here to tell you there is a SUPER easy fix that doesn't require mods, or altering text files, or typing -w in shortcut commands.
If you are using an Intel CPU, any new one, I have 7700HQ in my laptop. It's literally as simple as opening "Intel HD Graphics utility" (right click on your desktop and you will see it) and going to "Screen" settings... in that tab, you will see an option at the bottom under "Scaling" then check "Scale Full Screen" and your DONE!!!

No more mods, no more wraps, no more fullscreen windowed mode, no more compatability modes ect. The game will default to running integrated graphics anyways, and this will NOT effect anything else you do on your laptop. But D2 and LOD will automatically fill your entire screen, and look good at the same time:)

Enjoy guys!

Wouldn't this stretch it though? 800x600 is a 4:3 aspect. Scaling is fine, as long as its not stretching it. Nothing I hate worse than watching a movie stretched or squashed to fit, same goes for my games.

I would prefer to keep the original aspect which I hate to say was 4:3, not widescreen. Bars don't bother me when I want to keep the visual aspect true to original.

Just saying.

Now the Median XL 1.8 that's coming soon supposedly supports better resolution choices..... :D
Google: "D2 Glide Wrapper". I guess that can be an answer to your resolution problems for Diablo 2.
12/03/2018 01:41 PMPosted by DTMAce

Enjoy guys!

Wouldn't this stretch it though? 800x600 is a 4:3 aspect. Scaling is fine, as long as its not stretching it. Nothing I hate worse than watching a movie stretched or squashed to fit, same goes for my games.

I would prefer to keep the original aspect which I hate to say was 4:3, not widescreen. Bars don't bother me when I want to keep the visual aspect true to original.

Just saying.

Now the Median XL 1.8 that's coming soon supposedly supports better resolution choices..... :D

Only up to 1024x768, but it is better than 800x600

EDIT: I fatfingered
You can do this with Nvidia graphics as well, and (at least on my 32" tv/monitor) it doesn't look bad. It's clear and doesn't look 'stretched'.
Now my laptop, I can't get it to work at all, but that's running ATI graphics and doesn't have the option to scale the desktop.
Obviously, results will vary.
--edited for clarity--
12/03/2018 02:14 PMPosted by AlDante
Only up to 1024x768, but it is better than 800x600

Ah. So it will still have bars on the left and right. And technically on an HD monitor (1920x1080) it would be 1440x1080 scaled but still aspect of 4:3. If I did my math right.
You can already do this with something I think is called glidefx. There's only so much you can do for a larger D2 because of the aspect ratio; you'd really just be blowing it up with large borders on either side.

Just saying.

Now the Median XL 1.8 that's coming soon supposedly supports better resolution choices..... :D[/quote]

Actually I didn't notice much of a stretch at all honeslty... How the Intel setting works from what I have read, Is it takes the images normal resolution and scales it to your aspect ratio, as where opening the game in full screen windowed mode just stretches horizontal pixel count, while shrinking vertical count... The Intel graphic scaling doesn't shrink the vertical, it actually extends both... which is weird... I'm also playing it on a Razer Blade 14" Laptop... But it's still technically widescreen.
There is also the "prespective" option in the game which can be adjusted, I found that one of those settings does make it look stretched, can't remember if it was "off" or "on" Regaurdless I think it looks pretty decent! Of course, due to pixel density, the larger your screen is, the worse D2 will look, cause blizzard for some reason refuses to give us at least 720p patch... /slapsblizzardintheface
12/03/2018 09:04 PMPosted by TheExxorcist
The Intel graphic scaling doesn't shrink the vertical, it actually extends both... which is weird... I'm also playing it on a Razer Blade 14" Laptop... But it's still technically widescreen.

If you can see the full bar at the bottom and the game has no borders, then its stretched. If it were truly scaled to make the left and right full, then it would crop the top and bottom. There is no way you can fit a 4:3 perspective into a 16:9 perspective without either cropping parts of the picture out, or stretching it. If nothing is missing, its stretched.

I installed D2 with median tonight, and it runs full screen natively with the 2D option, (800x600) but on 1920x1080 its stretched and looks like !@#$. Not pixelated, (resolution looked smooth) but just flat wrong on how the characters, items, buildings, everything looked vs the original aspect.

S
D2 is under the Classics Forum (Game Forums > Other):

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/12790218/
12/03/2018 09:09 PMPosted by DTMAce
If you can see the full bar at the bottom and the game has no borders, then its stretched. If it were truly scaled to make the left and right full, then it would crop the top and bottom. There is no way you can fit a 4:3 perspective into a 16:9 perspective without either cropping parts of the picture out, or stretching it. If nothing is missing, its stretched.

This isn't quite true. You can fit a 4:3 aspect ratio into a 16:9 window. It would just have black bars on the sides, much like 4:3 aspect ratio DVDs do. This is how Diablo 2 used to work in OS X when it was still a PowerPC app. Once they switched over to Intel-only, it because resolution locked and blurry as all get out.

The other possibility is that the game could simply have its field of view expanded such that it actually utilizes a 16:9 aspect ratio, and can then be scaled properly by virtually any means. This is what most resolution hacks for Diablo 2 do. This may be the best way to deal with the resolution issues as it is the lesser of the two evils where one is aspect locked 4:3 scaled (which is ugly and super blurry), or you simply see more of the area around you in true 16:9/16:10 format at the expense of losing some of the suspense created by the old field of view being limited.
12/03/2018 10:39 PMPosted by TheTias
12/03/2018 09:09 PMPosted by DTMAce

This isn't quite true. You can fit a 4:3 aspect ratio into a 16:9 window. It would just have black bars on the sides, much like 4:3 aspect ratio DVDs do. This is how Diablo 2 used to work in OS X when it was still a PowerPC app. Once they switched over to Intel-only, it because resolution locked and blurry as all get out.

The other possibility is that the game could simply have its field of view expanded such that it actually utilizes a 16:9 aspect ratio, and can then be scaled properly by virtually any means. This is what most resolution hacks for Diablo 2 do. This may be the best way to deal with the resolution issues as it is the lesser of the two evils where one is aspect locked 4:3 scaled (which is ugly and super blurry), or you simply see more of the area around you in true 16:9/16:10 format at the expense of losing some of the suspense created by the old field of view being limited.

But I don't think the simple Intel scaling tool does this automatically. More likely its simply "making it fit regardless", and is most likely not in a correct aspect. I don't have an Intel graphic chip enabled in my system at the moment, so was unable to verify this myself, though I could install D2 on my laptop if I have to.

I do know that the Median XL 1.3 version of D2 stretches, though the graphics are at least smoothed so they don't look pixelated on my HD monitor. That was using the 2D option, the 3D crashes when trying to start. And I didn't want to bother with installing a glide wrapper for the game to try the third choice right now.
12/03/2018 01:41 PMPosted by DTMAce

Enjoy guys!

Just saying.

Is median ever going to be able to use the newest D2 digital download as the base for its mod? Not being able to get one of the older versions of D2 keeps me from being able to use the mod. I don't have an old set of discs anymore and won't download anything from sources I don't know.
12/03/2018 11:17 PMPosted by Traveler
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Just saying.

Is median ever going to be able to use the newest D2 digital download as the base for its mod? Not being able to get one of the older versions of D2 keeps me from being able to use the mod. I don't have an old set of discs anymore and won't download anything from sources I don't know.

It does now. I installed Median yesterday on the latest digital downloaded version that I downloaded at the same time. Worked fine.

Moderator: Closing thread, as it was posted in the wrong forums. You can find the classic game support forums here.