Will I enjoy D2 if I love D3?

General Discussion
At a glance it seems that most people who loved D2 hate what D3 became. I played D1 but was more Warcraft oriented after that so I ended up skipping D2 and then got D3 free with the WoW expansion preorder. I love D3 and am still actively playing it but I've always wondered what I missed out on in D2.

Given that I started on D3 do you think it's worth dishing out the money for D2 or will I likely find it too clunky and/or outdated to enjoy properly?
It varies from person to person. I think most people that have tried it did like it, myself included. But it is not without its faults and it kinda drives me up the wall the way people idolize that game.

Anyway that's beside the point. D2 has a stronger story but D3 is obviously better looking. Also first playthrough D2 is definitely better but for me D3 is far more replayable.
Yeah you should like both I think. D3 has quality of life changes that d2 didn't have like smoother gameplay and graphics, but d2 has a more in-depth skill system, and story. Ultimately their both about killing hordes of demons for loot.
01/06/2019 05:55 PMPosted by Pestilence
Yeah you should like both I think. D3 has quality of life changes that d2 didn't have like smoother gameplay and graphics, but d2 has a more in-depth skill system, and story. Ultimately their both about killing hordes of demons for loot.

Very true.

The QoL parts may get to you though. Think very carefully before spending skill points. It used to be that you could not respec at all. That has changed, but it is not easy and free like D3. Stash - you have almost none and items take up huge areas of inventory. Charms - take up large areas of backpack space. Stamina- when you run you get tired and end up walking.

The game is well worth picking up and playing through though. If it gives you a decent number of hours of entertainment (and it will), you should feel good about the decision. You want to get D2 and the expansion, LoD.
D2 was great for its day and some still think so today.

I think games like PoE, Titan Quest and Grim Dawn have taken the mantle which D2 left. In my opinion, D3 left out too many elements that made D2 great and D3 is more an action game than ARPG, partly due to their focus on consoles and different target market, casuals. The battle mechanics is great but all other elements pales in comparison to D2.

The dark Gothic feel was gone replaced by cartoon-like WoW graphics, player controlled customised diverse builds, itemization, etc, etc. The sandbox feel was abandoned for select few sets which dictated what players could use for end game, it left no imagination nor input for the players.

Stand alone D3 is still a good game, but just not up to par to is predecessors.
I still don't see where "the dark gothic feel" was left behind. This version is gritty, dirty, and real. It has a real landscape, a place where people live and breath. Not everywhere can be the church's underbelly in Tristram, or the decrepit ruins of the monastary.
Well I played all 3 diablo's (all dlc, y i know hellfire is not from blizzard but whatever).

IMO .. D2 is trash.
Best diablo always be and its diablo 1.
About D3, i like it, but its not 1..

(D2 fans do dislike)...
Only one game, can create entry to next level, near entry to current level!.
And only one game, does not count with % if it block or not ^^.
And only one game, have block based on animation speed - and it recovery to inital state, (animation ->) where character turn to side, to pull up a shield to block that attack/projectile, and then pull's out that shield.
D2 and even D3 uses %. where is a max by percent chance, not a animation recovery (or animation speed) what should be based on...

Like most blockable classes or whatever just 'stand still' or do animation what was forced to do, and only virtual dice roll if it gonna be blocked or not, without ANY blocking animation, and if there is, it can be skipped (And i dont like it)
My experience: Played D2 long ago, enjoyed it. Play D3, not going back unless some sort of remaster.

My prob: Loved Fallout 4, heard good about older fallouts, refunded the older fallouts. I just cant play the older graphics.
You can play through d2: LoD and if you like the game but think it needs QoL improvements u can check out median XL. It's a D2 mod with loads of end game content and QoL changes as well as new skills and many other features.

They're releasing a huge update for it on the 18th (the same day Season 16 begins). So after a couple hours when you get your first 70, you should check out MXL: Sigma. :)
I played D2 back in the day and absolutely loved it. I play D3 now and, unlike a lot of D2 fans, actually do enjoy it too.
So, just because you like D3, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't like D2 - if you can live with the small stash and slightly dated graphics that is. Anyway, you definitely should give it a go. D2-LoD is an absolute classic.
Do you liked D1? That will answer your question. Since you said that your are more wow oriented, most problems that d2 fans have with d3 will not annoy you. Artstyle, mmo mechanics, skilll damage = weapon damage, etc.

Both D1/D2 are not "hardcore" games but require a little of thinking compared to d3... Since D2 is not a expensive game i recommend to try it.

01/06/2019 06:20 PMPosted by Gharok
My experience: Played D2 long ago, enjoyed it. Play D3, not going back unless some sort of remaster.

My prob: Loved Fallout 4, heard good about older fallouts, refunded the older fallouts. I just cant play the older graphics.

There are mods who allow you to play fallout new vegas with very high end graphics > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1O0-Mrza1E

Fallout New Vegas is much supperior to Fallout 4.
01/06/2019 05:38 PMPosted by Edgeta
Given that I started on D3 do you think it's worth dishing out the money for D2 or will I likely find it too clunky and/or outdated to enjoy properly?

You might enjoy it as long as you go into it fully realizing that it is not the same kind of game as D3 even though they share a genre.

For one, you will immediately encounter the extreme lack of shared stash space in comparison to D3. If you only play the game offline, that can be offset a bit by creating a bunch of mule characters whose only purpose is to act as storage boxes. (I think you can still do that.)

Also, you'll have to get used to allocating your spell skills one time and leaving them that way until you get one of the few respec potions in the game later on. Stamina/encumbrance is also something you'll encounter in D2 that isn't in D3. Oh, and if I recall correctly, the death penalties are harsher than D3's mere damage to gear (gold cost). Get ready to carry potions, lots of potions.

I loved D2 back in the day and would play it until the sun rose in the morning, but now that I have experienced all of the quality of life changes in D3, it's really hard for me to go back and play D2. What I would consider flaws in hindsight, others consider wonderful features, so your mileage may vary.
Remember to read wikia pages and Arreat Summit to have a grasp about what awaits ahead. I can see you complaining about D2's difficulty a few days later. D2's character development allows you to go off boundaries and become multi class rather than limiting you at your character skills. Combats are slow paced and you only have 2 slot access as action; combat depends on hotkeys and quick switches to answer properly.

Remember, monsters hit comparably hard since defensive traits are not easy to access on your own but you always have easy access buffs and equippable shields are useful. Some unique monster encounters require debuffs to tackle down and simply stand as a gear check to see if you have proper affix to face them. When you don't have proper equipment there's no shame at running away as far as your stamina bar allows you.

Death can be swift if you're cornered, also causes harsher penalties like experience loss. However it's easy to evade by town portal casts. When that's the case faster movement comes really handy to not getting surrounded.
01/06/2019 05:47 PMPosted by ETpagh
it kinda drives me up the wall the way people idolize that game
If you weren't there for the rust storm, you didn't play D2.

I have said many times that D2 was popular for a lot of reasons that had nothing to do with what Blizzard put into that game.
My thought, D2 and D3's game directions are different and even opposite. If you want to extend your game experiences from one of them to the other, we will fail :-)
Be aware; you will probably love D2 and be scared when you realize how feature cut down and stale D3 is in comparison.

They can patch and change numbers in D3 all day; as long as they dont add new items, new skills and skilltree, true item rarity and re-enable open trade it will remain stale.
While Diablo 2 lacks some of the QoL improvements that Diablo 3 brought forth, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Even without those, it is still an incredibly fine game on it's own.

It used to be that you could not respec at all. That has changed, but it is not easy and free like D3. .

NOT true!

Re-spec is easy, just complete the first quest of the first act(easiest quest in the whole game) and that gives you a FREE re-spec!!
You also get this THREE times, once for each mode norm,nightmare,hell!

That is three free and easy respecs!
Diablo 2 was amazing for it's time but sadly it's evolution didn't do it justice.
01/06/2019 06:11 PMPosted by Sylvax
I still don't see where "the dark gothic feel" was left behind. This version is gritty, dirty, and real. It has a real landscape, a place where people live and breath. Not everywhere can be the church's underbelly in Tristram, or the decrepit ruins of the monastary.

Tone matters. You can present a gritty world visually, but if it's presented via over the top and borderline cringe-worthy characters ripped out of a generic Saturday morning cartoon, the visual grittiness pretty much falls apart and ends up conflicting with them. There's far more than blood and gore to depicting a dark fantasy setting. A lot of people seem to keep pointing out how stuff like seeing a rainbow next to a waterfall (which is actually a natural phenomenon that's fairly common) or a joke bonus level (which D2 also had one just as ridiculous, mind you) make the game childish, but imho the lack of cohesion between the visual presentation and the story comes straight from the bottom of the barrel cringe-worthy writing of the various characters, out of which the main bosses and your own character are the worst offenders when it comes to breaking that fantasy.

It's hard to feel an atmosphere of despair and desolation when you control an over-confident buffoon who happens to have superpowers because of some magic ancient heritage that's going up against enemies easily equatable to Jafar from Aladdin, while hanging in town listening to Tyrone's ridiculous dad jokes.

As for D2, it was good back in the early 2000s, but it feels way too dated and clunky to even come close to more modern and far more deeply structured ARPGs like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile, and even Torchlight that have far evolved the formula while resolving a lot of the fundamental design flaws it happened to have, which get a free pass just because of the pioneering crown it has. You can kinda make up for that with mods, though, but it's kinda silly how so many people still seem to worship the thing as the greatest ARPG of all time, which it most definitely isn't.

Don't take anyone's word for it, though. It's not expensive, so I'd simply buy it and try it out yourself. Just be mindful it's a product of almost a couple decades ago, and a lot of things you now take for granted may appear to be needlessly convoluted and/or completely unintuitive as a product of it's age.