Turning Players Into Payers

General Discussion
I'm not sure how many of you have come across this YouTube video. It's sad that gaming industry is sinking this low and THE so called "Gaming Journalists" don't make a pip about this. This video needs to be shared all over.

Reason I'm posting this video here is because I fear that Blizzard might be heading down this road. I hope I'm wrong and they realize this isn't a way to go.

Have a look for yourself and you tell me if us gamer's are still "entitled crybabies".

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQsc14gDPbk
Your link isn't working for me.
12/10/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Windigo
Your link isn't working for me.

Sorry about that. If you search "TURNING PLAYERS INTO PAYERS" in YouTube it will come up. It's a great 22 min video showing how greedy game developers are becoming.
They want to turn players into payers?

1 - Put out an awesome game with great gameplay and loads of options to make a character that feels unique (lots of varying skills, equipment, modification modules to skills & items) and no P2W drek.
2 - Put out yearly expansions that enhance the gameplay with new classes, new equipment, new zones, new game modes. Things that can be used throughout the whole game to enhance gameplay and not just endgame. These things don't need power bloat to be interesting or desirable.
3 - ????
4 - PROFIT!
12/10/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Zeddicuus
They want to turn players into payers?

1 - Put out an awesome game with great gameplay and loads of options to make a character that feels unique (lots of varying skills, equipment, modification modules to skills & items) and no P2W drek.
2 - Put out yearly expansions that enhance the gameplay with new classes, new equipment, new zones, new game modes. Things that can be used throughout the whole game to enhance gameplay and not just endgame. These things don't need power bloat to be interesting or desirable.
3 - ????
4 - PROFIT!

I agree. These developers who are okay with "turn players into payers" model will drag the gaming industry down with them.
I don't think they'll drag the industry down with them. There are many little developers that understand my post and create appropriately. Grim Dawn as well as Path of Exile have been picking up steam (no pun intended) and gaining a lot of popularity recently. GD has an expansion coming out early next year (I think) and PoE just had an expansion released.

They get it. They created games players love playing, and they're adding content players want to play. That's the winning combination to get players to willing support your company in the world of game development. Even smaller groups are working with this (Check out 20XX on steam). They created a game players want to play, add lots of new features on a semi regular basis and create other things for the games players love they're willing to buy to enhance the game that don't create something you MUST buy in order to enjoy the game.

Darwin's Theory at work. Big ones make stupid mistakes and die off. The smart and strong ones survive and thrive. The game market won't die, just the greedy, resource intense dinosaurs. the little birds of the game world will evolve, thrive and multiply.
I have spent more on Dota2 cosmetics than Blizzard (and thats 14 years vs. 5) just because I love the cosmetic sets and don't mind spending $2 here and there for a truly F2P experience I've sunk 5000 hours in to. I truly hate MTX but when it's pure cosmetic and I "sell" it to myself as "hey i've enjoyed another 1000 hours, maybe I'll spend some $" mentality. Am I crazy?
Turning Players into Prayers ,,, LOL
It's called selling out and just about everyone is doing it, I'm pretty sure Diablo himself runs the gaming industry at this point.
12/10/2018 01:17 PMPosted by SkaBoss
It's called selling out and just about everyone is doing it, I'm pretty sure Diablo himself runs the gaming industry at this point.

Pretty sure Diablo is Bobby Kotick underneath the demonic costume and make up lol
12/10/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Zeddicuus
I don't think they'll drag the industry down with them. There are many little developers that understand my post and create appropriately. Grim Dawn as well as Path of Exile have been picking up steam (no pun intended) and gaining a lot of popularity recently. GD has an expansion coming out early next year (I think) and PoE just had an expansion released.

They get it. They created games players love playing, and they're adding content players want to play. That's the winning combination to get players to willing support your company in the world of game development. Even smaller groups are working with this (Check out 20XX on steam). They created a game players want to play, add lots of new features on a semi regular basis and create other things for the games players love they're willing to buy to enhance the game that don't create something you MUST buy in order to enjoy the game.

Darwin's Theory at work. Big ones make stupid mistakes and die off. The smart and strong ones survive and thrive. The game market won't die, just the greedy, resource intense dinosaurs. the little birds of the game world will evolve, thrive and multiply.

I guess I have become more pessimistic over the years. I just don't want Blizzard to go down this road.
I can't believe that a corporation would sink so low as to sell a product and service in exchange for currency from willing consumers seeking a leisure experience.

That horror show is something right out of Sinclair's Jungle.
12/10/2018 02:10 PMPosted by Mercury
I can't believe that a corporation would sink so low as to sell a product and service in exchange for currency from willing consumers seeking a leisure experience.

This will depend on the quality of the product and how they present the product to the consumer base whether it's successful or not with said consumer base.

If the quality is subpar and/or they present it in a way that is not accepted, they better adapt or risk perishing.
12/10/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Zeddicuus
This will depend on the quality of the product and how they present the product to the consumer base whether it's successful or not with said consumer base.

If the quality is subpar and/or they present it in a way that is not accepted, they better adapt or risk perishing.

Good point. Hopefully Blizzard knows they should try to sell things people want instead of things people don't want. I think you are on to something.
I may be on to something. Question is, is Blizzard on to the same thing?
12/10/2018 02:10 PMPosted by Mercury

I understand that you are making a sarcastic statement but it's a good message to share with gamer's. It's gotten so bad that they aren't even hiding this anymore. No one should tell you how to spend your money but I also don't want game developers to follow this model. I'm willing to pay for good content and support the company that's listening to player base.