Squishy against ranged attackers

Wizard
I just started playing again after a 4-5 year break from D3 2 days ago. They've definitely added a lot to the game, but I was also a little surprised with how much some stuff also stayed the same (a lot of the sets that I collected were still relevant).

The most exciting thing for me, was how similar the top-tier build was to the way I played the game previously too. Definitely way more ridiculous now with these OP 1000% damage modifiers. Meteor shower spam all day every day - I love it.

Anyhoo, I've gone with the firebird set, and as soon as I collected the last pieces and put the build together by the book, it all really started to work as advertised. Melee damage against me doesn't worry me in the least, but ranged attacks f me up a bit.

I'm just wondering what you guys think I should focus on upgrading first to eliminate this ranged squishiness. My gear obviously has a long way to go, but should I focus on +vitality +armor +resist all +life-on-hit? I'm guessing because I'm an intelligence class, maybe it should be armor and vitality?

Because my damage doesn't seem to be a problem at GR75, but my toughness definitely is at and above that.
Looking at your profile, you are using arlyse which only mitigates melee damage. If you swap to Karini, it should mitigate both melee and ranged damage. Just make sure you pay attention to keep up the SA proc on mobs more than 15 yards away.

Alternatively, Arlyse builds dont attempt heavy ranged mob maps. You exit straight away and fish for pure melee mob types.

Also FB needs either elite burnt or 20x mobs burnt. If you are overkilling stuff, you might lose the FB mitigation w/o paying attention. Just FYI.
As well looking right now through my profile I see I screwed up and didn't click the crystallize ruin. I'll fix that when I get home from work =P That should help quite a bit. But I still see incoming ranged attacks as my biggest limiter, so suggestions on where to start upgrading my armor are very welcome.
12/20/2018 08:20 AMPosted by celtic08
Looking at your profile, you are using arlyse which only mitigates melee damage. If you swap to Karini, it should mitigate both melee and ranged damage. Just make sure you pay attention to keep up the SA proc on mobs more than 15 yards away.

Interesting. I'll have to make sure extract that next and play with it. Seems like it might work better in a group acting as damage support in higher rifts. Thanks for the info.

12/20/2018 08:20 AMPosted by celtic08
Alternatively, Arlyse builds dont attempt heavy ranged mob maps. You exit straight away and fish for pure melee mob types.

Makes sense. I've discovered that... gimme melee and I can just plow through it. But if it's ranged, I'll just let my buddies handle it, haha. But I really really do love the illusionist spam teleport, spam frost nova playstyle. Definitely suits me.

But I'll certainly try playing with a Karini next.
Yeah Karini is the one of choice for me. I don't like having to be mob picky and wasting GR stones.
12/20/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Raziel187
Yeah Karini is the one of choice for me. I don't like having to be mob picky and wasting GR stones.

Haha ya, wasted one this morning. Woke up before work, was gonna solo a GR, nothing but spear throwers and wizard cows all hitting me for like 70% damage each. It compelled me to make this post.
Tried it out, worked great, now I got myself a handful of different builds depending on my group and the difficulty of the rifts we're attempting.