There's more players in D2 than D3

General Discussion
12/17/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Imperius
Though what D2 has over D3 in those kind of comparison is that you can actually see how many accounts are active at any moment of the day. That makes it easy to evaluate how many people are playing.

Alright, lemme have a crack at it.

Open google trends, type Diablo 2 and Diablo 3; by comparison D3 is 2.5x more popular compared to D2. If D2 has 8 points on the chart, D3 would have about 29; if D2 has 13 points then D3 have 50 points.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=Diablo%202,Diablo%203
If D2 have around 18-20k players at ladder start, a rough estimate tells me that D3 is around 60-63k at its peak? Compared to 63k, 700 bots is not really much; slightly above 1.05-1.15%. Yet any sort of mathematics wouldn't give you an estimate about playerbase by looking at bots solely.

That leading bot program or any bot program wouldn't give you any accurate clue about total playerbase in such restricted market game model. Bots are completely separated from player interaction in D3, unlike D2.
As long as D2 bots profit, they'll keep going at it inflating the number. A wild speculation would tell me a good fraction (1/10th) of those 18-20k players will bot in D2 at least at some point.

but botters in D2 can have up to 10 bots running at the same time without having to buy another copy of the game

Not sure how that would work. Ladder would simply would kick you out if you try to open 10 realms from the same account.
I have been playing D2 lately, several people in game have recommended that I leech on bots and buy weapons online, that is the best way to advance. Nuff said.
I think we can conclude that atleast people play together in d2 and you can still join someone's public game that is on a nice searchable list.

D3 on the other hand. Well, it's a dumpster fire.
12/17/2018 01:29 PMPosted by naksiloth
Though what D2 has over D3 in those kind of comparison is that you can actually see how many accounts are active at any moment of the day. That makes it easy to evaluate how many people are playing.

Alright, lemme have a crack at it.

Open google trends, type Diablo 2 and Diablo 3; by comparison D3 is 2.5x more popular compared to D2. If D2 has 8 points on the chart, D3 would have about 29; if D2 has 13 points then D3 have 50 points.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=Diablo%202,Diablo%203
If D2 have around 18-20k players at ladder start, a rough estimate tells me that D3 is around 60-63k at its peak? Compared to 63k, 700 bots is not really much; slightly above 1.05-1.15%. Yet any sort of mathematics wouldn't give you an estimate about playerbase by looking at bots solely.

That leading bot program or any bot program wouldn't give you any accurate clue about total playerbase in such restricted market game model. Bots are completely separated from player interaction in D3, unlike D2.
As long as D2 bots profit, they'll keep going at it inflating the number. A wild speculation would tell me a good fraction (1/10th) of those 18-20k players will bot in D2 at least at some point.

but botters in D2 can have up to 10 bots running at the same time without having to buy another copy of the game

Not sure how that would work. Ladder would simply would kick you out if you try to open 10 realms from the same account.

Google trends won't help you to find active players... there isn't much to search about D3 right now, but disgrunted fans who want to know what the fuss is about D2 will be more likely to use google to find information. Also people who never used D2 before will use google to find builds, while in D3 people already know pretty much every build there is.

Botters in D2 use many CD-Keys to open several windows on several accounts. That's why in D2 there are games with 6 bots who join and leave at the same time. I was part of a clan once that had a botter (we kicked him out) and we found out that he was 7 members of our clan, just using different accounts.

In case you wonder, you can buy CD-Keys from 3rd party sites and they sell for much MUCH less than buying them from Blizzard directly. Not sure how they do it, but that's how people get all those bots.

Botting in D2 was always a big problem, they are everywhere and they make it seem like there are no legit players
I love how people keep saying D3 is a failed game when it is in the top 15 video games sold of all time. Obviously it is not a failed game. Just because they mishandled it does not make it a failed game.
12/17/2018 01:52 PMPosted by beardman
I love how people keep saying D3 is a failed game when it is in the top 15 video games sold of all time. Obviously it is not a failed game. Just because they mishandled it does not make it a failed game.

Pigging backing off a good title and marketing does not equate to a good game.

I mean the fact that all these people defending have to use some bot data for d3 when d2 you can just go on and see players and jump in with anyone says enough about how !@#$ the interaction really is and speaks volumes to the design flaws around d3.
12/17/2018 03:28 PMPosted by SLAM

I mean the fact that all these people defending have to use some bot data for d3 when d2 you can just go on and see players and jump in with anyone says enough about how !@#$ the interaction really is and speaks volumes to the design flaws around d3.

Here's the thing... I may not think D3 was as good as D2, but I still got countless of hours of play out of D3. So did many many many of the people complaining today.

Right, D3 isn't going to be the diablo game you play until you die... doesn't matter. It was a success for many players and now people are waiting for what's next.

No matter how long it takes for them to make D4, I know I'll try it. That's the power of this IP. And since it's Diablo, I bet the game will be good enough for me to get many hour of play out of it. While in most game I just finish the story and I'm done with it.

And Star Wars the Last Jedi is one of the highest grossing movies of all time. But it still splitt the fanbase in half, many didn't return to play RoS/watch the Solo movie.
So in a way, despite its massive sales it did fail in a way, because that franchise is now stained.

Diablo 3 was a failure not a success. The fact that their sales number for ROS was not even half of what D3 vanilla was clearly shows that.

And d3 wasn't successful for what it was, it was successful solely because of riding on D2s' success. D3's sole success was the franchise name. And now Blizzard ruined that name as well.

If you are going to say something make sure you know what you are saying.
12/15/2018 08:42 PMPosted by Imperius
No, there is not more D2 players...

I cannot post the link, but look at the stats from the leading bot in D3. It still is massive. Now take this into consideration, D3 is on five different platforms, PC, PS3, PS4, XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE.

Sure in D2 you can see all the games and a huge number of it are public runs by botters, but the amount of players is quite small compared to D3 has a whole.

Your such a bad troll that even the MVPS call you out. Or a bad Blizzard employee
12/17/2018 03:41 PMPosted by Imperius
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Here's the thing... I may not think D3 was as good as D2, but I still got countless of hours of play out of D3. So did many many many of the people complaining today.

Right, D3 isn't going to be the diablo game you play until you die... doesn't matter. It was a success for many players and now people are waiting for what's next.

No matter how long it takes for them to make D4, I know I'll try it. That's the power of this IP. And since it's Diablo, I bet the game will be good enough for me to get many hour of play out of it. While in most game I just finish the story and I'm done with it.

What are you trying to say in your post? Diablo 3 was a dumpster fire for me, it lacked core aspects. I'm not looking for a be all end all of games I'm just saying it lacked core values the prior game had. I played for 70 hours because that's all I could tolerate, it's the price of one night at the bar which is 3 hours, recreationally speaking I got my moneys worth. Expectations wise, it was completely off base.
Wow you played 70hours and have an opinion? Not worth the time hete. mods please delete the thread
Having played thousands of hours in D3 it was an addictive blast,but in the end it lacked any sort of depth. D2 has been going strong for 18 years and still considered the pinnacle of arpgs,that will never change. Anyone over the age of 30 knows this.
Unfortunately D3 will never have the staying power of D2 to last that long most people realize this,that why fans are always begging for more content.
I do believe a huge part of the fan base returned to D2 again after to Blizzcon debockal knowing finally and for sure that D3 was officially dead and there was nothing more to look forward too. I know I did, and not regretting a minute of it. Still do check in now and then hoping for a surprise. Not very confident though.
12/15/2018 08:42 PMPosted by Imperius
No, there is not more D2 players...

I cannot post the link, but look at the stats from the leading bot in D3. It still is massive. Now take this into consideration, D3 is on five different platforms, PC, PS3, PS4, XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE.

Sure in D2 you can see all the games and a huge number of it are public runs by botters, but the amount of players is quite small compared to D3 has a whole.
this guy is a D2 hater and D3 white-K.
no question...he likes Diablo 3 over 2...there's nothing wrong with that...but there is something wrong with not-being-honest and comparing apples to oranges.

He's trying to compare xbox...pc...PS...vs...just-pc-D2.

As if...they're the same audience.

Compare PC D3 v PC D2...at a time when..D2 isn't reset...and D3 isn't 'trying a holy-grail patch of numbers to get anyone to log in".

either way...if your going to just keep hating on Diablo 2....at least type out how many years / part of a year you spent Diablo 2ing.

Also, state if you played meta or actually tried harder stuff.

D2 is a fantastic old game. Analyze it in detail...compared to diablo 3....and you'll see the differences start to come up one by one...till you get 50+ pages in word of bullet points. You'll see what d3 did better...and then you see the 20/80 diablo 2 did better. Some is subjective..but most is obviously-subjective where you'd really have to be trying to hate the other game to swing that point over in the other's favor..against the obvi majority opinion.
12/17/2018 09:07 PMPosted by Thorodan
He's trying to compare xbox...pc...PS...vs...just-pc-D2.

And you're comparing a fraction of D3's audience to the entirety of D2's. D3 was never designed to be a PC-only title, and there were design considerations that took into account the various platforms.

It is absolutely fair to compare entire audiences against another's to determine population sizes. To do anything else is an attempt to put your finger on the scale.

Sold well thanks to marketing but how many active players still play D3?

Why Blizzard don't put more expansions for d3?
12/15/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Pestilence
12/15/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Belzemuth

Meh D3 sux big time, go on battle.net see how is still alive after so many years, it beat D3!
Botters play their own private game because its blizz fault to lets ths going..
D2 ladder is alive more than ever.

If it "sux big time" then why are you here?

Because the D3 forums are the Official Diablo forums since it is the only Diablo game that still has an official forum.
I can agree that D3 had massive sales. But I am not the only one that bought D3 at launch and was really unhappy with it, there are quite a few of us. It's probably true that D2 has more players at this point. It should also be painfully obvious that the fact is D2 has lasted for almost 20 years, can we say the same for D3? And D3 is an online only game...when Blizzard stops supporting it that's it you won't be able to start up a single player game offline or do a LAN game etc. Blizzard wanted that real money auction house to bring them the big bucks...but it failed and it infuriated players on top of it to the point they had to remove it. That's not a success guys. Sure they made good money off the box sales but the damage to the Blizzard and Diablo brand was serious.