Stash Tab NOT Armory Tab

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Why did Diablo developers think it was a better idea to add 5 more armory tab instead of 5 more stash tab? They said they wanted us to try out new builds for the new season, well if we are going to experiment with new build we need will need more space for gear. The logic behind adding armory over stash tab to promote new build is simply backwards. Currently, at 5 armory tabs I do not even use it all, so what is the point of having 10 armory tabs?

Diablo developers are you guys even listening to your players, or our you pulling ideas from a hat, or from a small minority of players who have no clue about the game?
they didnt think it was a better idea, just an idea that doesnt require them to store data for more items. I would love more stash space, but i do like being able to save more than 5 builds as i usually need 6-7 on some classes, speed GR, speed T13, and 5 or so builds based on a sets and maybe a LoN build and fun experimental build or 2. More stash space means blizzard has to spend more to store your item data, I would totally be okay with a small fee per month for the right to have significantly more stash space...id pay 5$ a month if i could have way more space for sure. Then if you let your sub run out your items get mailed to you from the tabs you dont own and you have 30 days to collect it or resub to more stash space. Blizzard needs a way to monetize diablo because currently the only way to make money is to sell the game itself which eventually becomes less profitable than the cost of running it.
01/05/2019 08:02 PMPosted by XS3NIGMA
which eventually becomes less profitable than the cost of running it.

Considering Diablo 3 is the 10th best-selling PC game of all time, at over 30 million units sold, I find it incredibly difficult to believe the cost of maintaining and running Diablo 3's servers is outstripping the money they've made on selling the game, selling RoS and the Necro pack, and the money coming in from China's version of D3.
I would've preferred a single extra stash tab over five more Armory tabs even if that extra stash tab had to be earned through seasons. (Just buying it with gold would've been even better, since it would have been instantly accessible for most people who've played the game for a while.)
01/05/2019 08:49 PMPosted by Morgan
I find it incredibly difficult to believe the cost of maintaining and running Diablo 3's servers is outstripping the money they've made on selling the game

We all do but that is one of the excuses given as to why we won't get more stash space.
01/05/2019 09:07 PMPosted by Zamus
I find it incredibly difficult to believe the cost of maintaining and running Diablo 3's servers is outstripping the money they've made on selling the game

We all do but that is one of the excuses given as to why we won't get more stash space.

Thanks for clarifying Zamus, I've not heard that before. Seems like an incredibly weak excuse (from Blizzard), but they really seem to have given up on this game entirely.
01/05/2019 08:02 PMPosted by XS3NIGMA
which eventually becomes less profitable than the cost of running it.

Considering Diablo 3 is the 10th best-selling PC game of all time, at over 30 million units sold, I find it incredibly difficult to believe the cost of maintaining and running Diablo 3's servers is outstripping the money they've made on selling the game, selling RoS and the Necro pack, and the money coming in from China's version of D3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------sales from 5 years ago dont matter, a game with a constant cost needs constant income, the playerbase of today isnt what it was years ago, not even close. If you want content you have to convince investors that said content will generate income, and that content as of now can only generate income by selling new copies of the game. It seems you forgot that Activision owns blizzard and they only care about making money.
01/05/2019 09:25 PMPosted by Morgan
Thanks for clarifying Zamus, I've not heard that before. Seems like an incredibly weak excuse (from Blizzard), but they really seem to have given up on this game entirely.

It was a very old excuse, something about the fact items had so many possibilities with the ranges and stats made them consume "too much" storage to the point that given the amount of players giving us more space would potentially fill their servers or something due the amout of data.
01/05/2019 09:07 PMPosted by Zamus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this happens to all diablo games, with no source of money why invest in it? Overwatch makes money, WoW makes money, even HOTS makes money. Until diablo implements a way to generate constant cash flow you will never see extended content development. Initial sales are great, but that money doesnt go back into the game like you would expect, it goes to new projects etc. You are asking them to extend the cost of running a game that generates zero money because 5 years ago it sold a bunch of copies. Blizzard already commits to keeping games online for a long time...look at diablo 2, still running. Yes the overall cost of diablo 3 does not exceed the money it has made but you also have to consider they will keep it online for another 20 years with no additional money being made.
01/05/2019 09:39 PMPosted by Zamus

It was a very old excuse, something about the fact items had so many possibilities with the ranges and stats made them consume "too much" storage to the point that given the amount of players giving us more space would potentially fill their servers or something due the amout of data.

Think the excuse was that more storage space bogged down the servers because the more assets that had to be loaded. But that was back when the game was new and there were tons of more players. With the number of players that have left, I think they can afford to give the rest of us more stash space at this point.
anything that is going to demand more money being spent on diablo 3 would require approval from activision. Do you really think they are going to green light more spending on a D3 game that is not really generating any consistent cash flow?
I could never understand why the armory tab didn’t hold your armor.....It would make sense that an armor tab would hold armor and a stash tab would hold stash.... maybe they are not increasing storage, except through seasons, is because they don’t really care about legendaries. They care only about sets... well technically there isn’t that many set items, but wait a minute, there is LoN! If your gonna buff LoN then we need more storage space without having to start over and slow our progress down through seasons.
What about builds sharing gear? If the armory stored the gear as well, you'd have to pile up full loadouts for every single build you store in the armory.
Storing gear in the armory would save a lot of stash management issues. I wish they would of gone this rout instead.
01/06/2019 10:23 AMPosted by Kirottu
What about builds sharing gear? If the armory stored the gear as well, you'd have to pile up full loadouts for every single build you store in the armory.

I get exactly what your saying, but something to consider is, how easy is it to farm the same gear over and over again? But if you did share gear between characters, it would be no different then what we are already doing. If you save your loadout in the armory but need the bracers for another loadout, then unequip the bracers and then save the loadout. Not much different than how we already do it.
01/05/2019 09:37 PMPosted by XS3NIGMA
sales from 5 years ago dont matter, a game with a constant cost needs constant income, the playerbase of today isnt what it was years ago, not even close. If you want content you have to convince investors that said content will generate income, and that content as of now can only generate income by selling new copies of the game. It seems you forgot that Activision owns blizzard and they only care about making money.

Eh, cheapest Cloud virtual server cost less than it sounds like.
Poor (other game) with average players 716 (worldwide) have 3 servers each continent , the company what own that game said, maintaining servers to be online is a cheapest thing what they pay. ^^.
Comparsion with diablo ^^... 4k players at top.
Diablo milionish ? ...
Prizes ?... That game with onebuy (ingame market $ but you dont need to buy more - you got it forever and whatever matters :D - at max you spend 50$ to get all the stuff) they said, if we had to spent a gained money from this only to servers uptime for the servers will be uptime for 50 years.
Diablo 3 (is already at 100+$) ? maybe they have more servers (like 6/continent) but paying this bills is like dust in the wallet even after five years (even if they pay 100 times more/month - I dont believe its more than 10 times - and that is acceptable)...
The game already earned more, than ten or twenty years of server uptime maintaining.
And what the guy above say. data? ... its gonna be more than 1 mb / account (not inludes logs, if any) So stashech are nothing in data. they can add. more likely I belive account saved data gonna be heavy compressed ^^.
One thing to consider is that while there might not be that many active players currently you don’t know the number of active accounts. So while it’s easy to speculate they have enough space you also should consider everyone who has stopped playing but maintains an account.

That’s still storage space.
01/05/2019 06:14 PMPosted by FatNeckbeard
They said they wanted us to try out new builds for the new season, well if we are going to experiment with new build we need will need more space for gear.
Dozens more tabs. Five simply won't do.

Hero: "I am here to save your world from demonic incursions. I require some storage space."

Villager: "Here's a box."

Hero: "Ehm... can I get a bigger one?"

Villager: "Yea for 100k gold. You want more, we charge more."

Hero: "Alright look. I will be saving you from infinitely increasingly difficult bad guys and the legendary combinations that I find may be almost equally increasingly complex. I will need to store stuff that I find, even if they seem insignificant at first. I will need to store one of almost everything.

Villager: "Pal, we can give you a box with five sections, but that's as big of a box as we can give you."

Hero: "There are like ten empty houses in this town."

Villager: "You can't have those."

Hero: "Can I leave stuff on the ground then?"

Villager: "Anything you leave on the ground, we keep."

Hero: "So you are going to wield the most legendary of battlements to help me slay foes?"

Villager: "HAH!"

Hero: "I'm starting to understand why the first guy put the stone in his head."
01/06/2019 11:33 AMPosted by Hohns
One thing to consider is that while there might not be that many active players currently you don’t know the number of active accounts. So while it’s easy to speculate they have enough space you also should consider everyone who has stopped playing but maintains an account.

That’s still storage space.

Believe or not ... they still have a place in data storage ^^.

If i count with 30 milions accounts ^^... thats like 1 mb * 30m thats actually ~30Tb of data, well ? ~~ means 4 (12TB) HDDS in raid 0 ^^ this can be stored in one computer ...
Thats actually 100$/year on one of the good cloud storage (with access for virtual servers and internet connectivity 10gbup/down) and variant with SSDs cost 550$/year in czech republic ^^. I still don't see a problem.
And I count with, they have it on ONE storage server ^^, so they not have it on one...
And im calculating only with diablo...

And still we are speaking about heavy compressed data and packets ^^ so its not even 1mb.
I actually reached at max with 36kb's for two sec while loading my "saved" data from diablo servers (should speak about cache servers) (you can check it in tracking resources in task manager.)
Well, I think the Armory tabs are a great idea. Stash tabs are a separate great idea that has nothing to so with doling out Armory tabs, and we'll likely not get any more beyond the 12 possible by playing the game, not for a long while, at least...

But since we are getting the Armory tabs, I am a happy camper.

I play only the Demon Hunter. As such, I have 8 different builds, 3 of which are a pain to use, because I have to build them each time I want to use them. Having ten Armory tabs will solve that problem, and give me 3 extra tabs so I can save my build for The Thrill, and maybe an LoN build too.