To the poe fan's

Games & Technology
POE = POS
01/08/2019 09:56 AMPosted by Ashock
However, its end game centers around farming for currency that you can use to trade for the gear you need, instead of farming for the actual gear

The gearing process is similar in D3 except trading is replaced with slot machine gambling for gear. No one farms gear in D3, they farm mats. 90% of the usuable gear players get is either from blood shards or cube upgrading/reforging.

Personally, I would much rather find stuff I don't need and trade it for the stuff I do, than keep pulling the arm on the slot machine hoping I get lucky.
While PoE might be a deep game, it suffers from a lot of problems that D3 does not. It's like they tried to create an expanded D2 which might not sound bad, but they took all the glaring faults that came with it as well. Also the game feels more mindless spam attacks than D3.

I think IGN summed it up well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbU27ITv5k8
"It's like a car where someone likes to work on cars and squeeze every bit of performance out of them more so than they actually like driving the car."
01/08/2019 11:31 AMPosted by Russell
While PoE might be a deep game, it suffers from a lot of problems that D3 does not. It's like they tried to create an expanded D2 which might not sound bad, but they took all the glaring faults that came with it as well. Also the game feels more mindless spam attacks than D3.

I think IGN summed it up well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbU27ITv5k8
"It's like a car where someone likes to work on cars and squeeze every bit of performance out of them more so than they actually like driving the car."

Well put. I also like that you get two different points when you talk to people about it. If you talk about story, they'll tell you how PoE's story is soooo much better than D3s. If you talk about how the campaign/story is a drag to get through, they'll tell you that the acts are just a "tutorial" for the game, and that the real game is the end-game. Lol.
01/08/2019 10:37 AMPosted by MWXIII
01/08/2019 09:09 AMPosted by Flansy
I'll never understand how PoE is so popular. Every single mechanic is so wonky, from the currency, to the skills, to the 'talent tree', to the gear. I tried it, couldnt stand it.

I can understand not liking it, but not understanding why its popular is strange to me.

its difficult
it enforces trading and has a sense of community like diablo 2 had with trade rooms
has pvp
has large end game
has MANY MANY MANY more builds
has more content
has good lore
dark, like arpgs used to be

The fact that right now, the juggernaut build is one of the top builds for this season doesnt have just ONE viable build, is insane. the top 20 people using juggernaut all have different selections on the skill tree, using different gems, weapons, armor and main attacks with different support.

Theres no forced sets and limited options. It feels clunky and wonky because it feels like an older game, aka diablo 2. It doesnt hand you everything like D3 does

Let me correct you a bit. POE SSF is not easy, true. However, if you are not SSF (for those that dont know what that is, it is solo self find) it is laughably easy. You can farm enough currency to get pretty much everything that most builds require very easily and quickly. Maybe you won't have enough for all of the best items quickly, but it'll be close enough. Then you just trade for it and that's it. Simple as that. The only real difficulty in the game is the idiotic one shot deaths. Yes, you can somewhat limit their occurance due to certain skills, but you can't avoid them fully. That to me is a cheap copout to ramp up the difficulty curve.

OTOH, if you like to find your own gear, then the game is way too grindy and frankly repetitive and boring.

POE endgame is basically 100% grinding for currency to trade for the items that really should drop occasionally on their own, and not feel like you just won the lottery when they actually do drop.

All of the so-called POE top players trade for everything they need. They grind currency non-stop. Big weapon? Trade. Armour - trade. Map - trade. Instead of pushing content for more difficulty as an accomplishment, they push it to get more currency. For some, this is fun. For me, not so much.
Yup. You kinda need to know what you’re doing in PoE which is not so good thing for new players. Trusting blindly in a guide only gets you so far. Experimenting with your own builds is the best way to get the understanding of the game mechanics. Sure it will fail a few times and starting over can be cumbersome but once you get the hang of it it’s a blast to play. I hated it the first time I played, which was around Perandus league. Then I gave it another shot sometime later and now after 3000 hours I just can’t stop playing.

Just out of curiosity, what weapon are you farming?
There is so much I don't like about PoE.

The combat is boring. The skill modifier system is pretty cool but I do not like the rest of the skill system. I like well defined class skills and I do not like skills tied to the items. I do not like the passive grid system. Too many boring nodes and more painful to look at than Grim Dawns devotions. Even dumber to put jewels in the passive grid... I feel like the leagues are just piling stuff on to the point it feels bloated. Map system is okay I guess, better than D3 rifts for sure.

One thing I do like about PoE, its a good idea that other aRPGs should follow is to have the ability to scale other stats with your primary attributes via unique items.

Its great that there is a lot of customization but I do not really appreciate how it is delivered.
Since only D3 greater rifters are left in this game. Don't bother trying to explain a role playing game like POE. They're used to getting their sets fast and doing nothing but endless greater rifts.

D3 and POE are completely different game types now. D3 is more in line with mobile games, easy gearing of sets for greater rifts. Basically D3 players want to skip any role playing story mode.
01/08/2019 11:45 AMPosted by niksunorz
Yup. You kinda need to know what you’re doing in PoE which is not so good thing for new players. Trusting blindly in a guide only gets you so far. Experimenting with your own builds is the best way to get the understanding of the game mechanics. Sure it will fail a few times and starting over can be cumbersome but once you get the hang of it it’s a blast to play. I hated it the first time I played, which was around Perandus league. Then I gave it another shot sometime later and now after 3000 hours I just can’t stop playing.

Just out of curiosity, what weapon are you farming?

I'm SSF cyclone build. Starforge is the best weapon for me and I'm using Kondos pride atm. If I switched from SSF league, I could easily trade for it, but I dont find that fun. I mean, I had an exalt drop a few days ago and I did not care one bit, although that is more than enough to trade for Starforge.
I played POE years ago and started again about 3 weeks ago to pass the time till next D3 season. At first I had fun, but now I'm bored out of my mind.

Mind you, I'm not a hardcore D3 player. I play it only in spirts, unlike D2 years ago. I have no agenda here.

POE is fine. It is certainly a decent enough game. It's endgame just does not feel right to me. The game is all about trading. I think most of the youtubers would be just as happy with a POE trading mini game, as they are with the full version.
01/08/2019 11:00 AMPosted by SeaBigBear
POE = POS

Even if this was true (PoE is not a P2W so you spend money only if you want and only on cosmetic items) what would you say about Diablo Immortal?
01/08/2019 11:41 AMPosted by Ashock
01/08/2019 10:37 AMPosted by MWXIII

I can understand not liking it, but not understanding why its popular is strange to me.

its difficult
it enforces trading and has a sense of community like diablo 2 had with trade rooms
has pvp
has large end game
has MANY MANY MANY more builds
has more content
has good lore
dark, like arpgs used to be

The fact that right now, the juggernaut build is one of the top builds for this season doesnt have just ONE viable build, is insane. the top 20 people using juggernaut all have different selections on the skill tree, using different gems, weapons, armor and main attacks with different support.

Theres no forced sets and limited options. It feels clunky and wonky because it feels like an older game, aka diablo 2. It doesnt hand you everything like D3 does

Let me correct you a bit. POE SSF is not easy, true. However, if you are not SSF (for those that dont know what that is, it is solo self find) it is laughably easy. You can farm enough currency to get pretty much everything that most builds require very easily and quickly. Maybe you won't have enough for all of the best items quickly, but it'll be close enough. Then you just trade for it and that's it. Simple as that. The only real difficulty in the game is the idiotic one shot deaths. Yes, you can somewhat limit their occurance due to certain skills, but you can't avoid them fully. That to me is a cheap copout to ramp up the difficulty curve.

OTOH, if you like to find your own gear, then the game is way too grindy and frankly repetitive and boring.

POE endgame is basically 100% grinding for currency to trade for the items that really should drop occasionally on their own, and not feel like you just won the lottery when they actually do drop.

All of the so-called POE top players trade for everything they need. They grind currency non-stop. Big weapon? Trade. Armour - trade. Map - trade. Instead of pushing content for more difficulty as an accomplishment, they push it to get more currency. For some, this is fun. For me, not so much.

This is exactly what diablo 2 was. Diablo 3 said eff that, we don't need player community and added the auction house.

After that failed they said eff that, just tell them exactly what set to wear per season and let them use that.

Once that failed they just said eff the game
01/08/2019 12:19 PMPosted by MWXIII
01/08/2019 11:41 AMPosted by Ashock

This is exactly what diablo 2 was. Diablo 3 said eff that, we don't need player community and added the auction house.

After that failed they said eff that, just tell them exactly what set to wear per season and let them use that.

Untrue. In D2, you could find your own items and trades were usually for very rare items or for those that had very high rolls. Also, you traded items for items or for runes, not the mindless currency like in POE. As far as community in D2, that was accomplished through Baal runs for leveling and Cow level. Even trading games, due to haggling, were more interactive and they usually had 8 ppl in it. In POE, you enter a game, trade your item right away and leave immediately. Where is the community in that again?

POE is a niche game that is only popular with more than a niche crown due to D3 being a relative disappointment, at least compared to D2, a lack of D4, and the general state of a formerly great gaming company into whom all arpg fans used to put their hopes in.
Maybe post this in the PoS forums?
01/08/2019 12:36 PMPosted by MountainMan

Meh, why? There's still a few days left until next season, so it's not like there's anything interesting going on here anyway.
01/08/2019 12:39 PMPosted by Ashock
01/08/2019 12:36 PMPosted by MountainMan

Meh, why? There's still a few days left until next season, so it's not like there's anything interesting going on here anyway.

and whats going to be interesting in the next season? you mean the new and innovative builds? that do NOTHING BUT INCREASE DAMAGE, WOW more numbers.

i post PoE stuff in these forums because it amuses me (possibly others as well i dunno i dont speak for them) that more people talk about PoE and PoE related things in the D3 forums than they talk about D3 stuff, but hey the 9 people that play D3 are probably to busy playing the game
01/08/2019 07:53 AMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
But PoE is far better than D3 IMO.

And yet you spend all your time here on the Diablo boards and not playing the far better PoE.
If PoE was so much better than D3 I would be there playing PoE and wouldn't be anywhere near the Diablo forums
01/08/2019 07:07 AMPosted by EVISR8R
When d3 launched with RMAH many raged it was Pay to win. Other than poe gear sales not being approved by ggg, what's the difference? It did feel more fun leveling. Maybe I'm doing end game wrong.

You are thinking about it TOTALLY wrong. The players did not rage that it was pay to win, they were overall happy to just grab mamas credit card and instantly acquire the end game items, and many people did.

You have to understand that fundamentally the majority of players who play D3, who remain and who still vastly outnumber fans of PoE have ZERO problems short circuiting the entire journey and reward loop as a basic train of thought.

As a result of devs catering to this huge majority of simple eager idiots, gearing and leveling has become quicker simpler and more easily acquired continually and perpetually for many many years.

The players that were actually mad, wanted the game to have substance, for leveling and growing to have meaning and tension and purpose, and choice, all things which the RMAH and clueless devs shaping the game as explained just above, absolutely eradicate; Those players were also the tiny minority. They were mad in part because the drops in the game were sculpted around the shape and scope of the AH. Many people will dispute and misunderstand this fact, but it was true, and admitted by CMs, and is only common sense.

my experience of the vision of those genius devs was 140 hours of playing to see my first legendary, and it was a bow with less than 50% the damage of the bow I had been using 110 hours prior to finding it. a brown flavourless stat stick that was worthless beyond words....

this pathetic item landscape was a requirement or the alternative in their system was every mathematical permutation of every item in quantities of 10,000 available to every player at the click of a button.

The people who were angry about the RMAH will always be the minority in contrast the the massive mainstream, who largely does not care, wants "everything ASAP, whom the devs catered to, and overall that is the reason why D3 sucks so bad, because it is a shallow thoughtless quick sugar high.

this trend will invariably continue with a new further dumbed down mobile game.

and you ask whats the difference? you just explained the difference about 5 seconds before asking the very question. D3 when it had the RMAH its GMs were in support of just instantly buying the end game, and PoE GMs are not.

the name of the company is GRINDING GEAR for christs sake...

It is the direction of the minds who decide upon the shape of each respective game that is responsible for, and ultimately is the catalyst to the greatest possible examples of difference that can be witnessed within these games as time goes forward...
Anything TenCent has put there hands on. I will not touch good luck in your blindness.
01/08/2019 12:31 PMPosted by Ashock
01/08/2019 12:19 PMPosted by MWXIII

Untrue. In D2, you could find your own items and trades were usually for very rare items or for those that had very high rolls. Also, you traded items for items or for runes, not the mindless currency like in POE. As far as community in D2, that was accomplished through Baal runs for leveling and Cow level. Even trading games, due to haggling, were more interactive and they usually had 8 ppl in it. In POE, you enter a game, trade your item right away and leave immediately. Where is the community in that again?

POE is a niche game that is only popular with more than a niche crown due to D3 being a relative disappointment, at least compared to D2, a lack of D4, and the general state of a formerly great gaming company into whom all arpg fans used to put their hopes in.

youre wrong about so much here it is mind boggling.

mindless currency alone shows you dont know what youre talking about. all of the currency in the game is used to improve items for better rolls and are worth something. The currency is used as a countermeasure for how good already rolled items are.

PoE has been popular since it launched. It has grown every year, and its not JUST because of how poor D3 is. It has grown word of mouth among many communities, from Destiny 2, Warframe, WoW, Gw2, FF14, TESO. Any game looking for loot, grinds and builds there are huge amounts of people that reference and recommend PoE
01/08/2019 02:00 PMPosted by MWXIII
<span class="truncated">...</span>

youre wrong about so much here it is mind boggling.

mindless currency alone shows you dont know what youre talking about. all of the currency in the game is used to improve items for better rolls and are worth something. The currency is used as a countermeasure for how good already rolled items are.

PoE has been popular since it launched. It has grown every year, and its not JUST because of how poor D3 is. It has grown word of mouth among many communities, from Destiny 2, Warframe, WoW, Gw2, FF14, TESO. Any game looking for loot, grinds and builds there are huge amounts of people that reference and recommend PoE

Honestly, get a clue. Can you get the best items in POE without trading? No.

No matter how you sugarcoat it, POE is all about farming currency and farming it faster than others so you could get the best trades early in the season and later on so you have the most currency for those perfect items. It's basically a giant trading game. With a few exceptions, there are basically two types of YouTube vids for POE. Those about how to farm and those that feature the best builds so you could..... farm faster.

End of story.

Let me reiterate. I do not think POE is a bad game. I just think that it's endgame has no real purpose, no real feeling of accomplishment. It feels like a game for those ppl that spend more time in WoW playing the AH, than playing the rest of the game.