How is feedback summarized for internal discussions?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
I'm quite curious to how the feedback has been summarized and compiled for these internal discussions (POST BLIZZCON CATASTROPHE 2018)

What's the general interpretation of the 4000+ post feedback in the "A Quick word from blizzard"? How is other sources of feedback compiled and summarized? How is it characterized for the discussions (descriptors)? How is the community feedback being represented? If you've been "hearing & listening" I'm sure you have come up with a general consensus in regards to the feedback from blizzcon and beyond.

What does the community think blizzards feedback summary is? What words do you think they have chosen to describe the feedback?
"We are screwed here, let's move to China"
Are you asking how they process the feedback since Diablo 3 beta (2011)? Or since Blizzcon 2018?
T.P.
It really depends on what topic. This is what I THINK is going on.

Weekly Report

-This is the summary of feedback from across media. Forums, reddit, twitter, FB, fan sites, streamers, etc. Generally divided into categories that help organize the data. It will include topics that get a reasonable amount of participation. The feedback from the other Regions is also sent to the person in charge of writing the report. When done, it is submitted, and an in person follow up meeting is held each week. This sort of feedback helps shape what they decide to do in later development or patch cycles. Even ideas for the next iteration of the game.

Hot Topics
-These would be separate issues that need to be escalated before the weekly report is due. Usually these involve reactions to patch changes or new bugs/exploits. Communication is the usual email/in person/meeting type thing. Often a Hotfix is the result. This feedback goes to QA or Devs as needed depending on the topic.

PTR or Beta Feedback
-This would be separate from the main weekly feedback and would go to those working on the patch. It often focuses on very specific things the Devs are looking for so those topics are prioritized - usually they are easy to tell because Blizz makes "focused feedback" threads asking for the info. Of course, other major hot topics will be included. Some changes though are going to be out of scope for the current patch cycle and may be considered down the road. This is going to be the core Dev team working on the updates who need this data. Note - once a patch hits the Beta or PTR, most game design changes are done and they are only looking at number tweaks.

Engagement Campaigns
-These are the promotional or player engagement campaigns they run on multiple platforms. They are often contests that get players to answer trivia, react to a post, submit a picture, etc. They are expected to provide engagement data and feedback about player reactions. This would be coordinated more with Marketing and Publishing than with the Dev team.

Special Issues
-Such as the current response to Blizzcon. That would be documented as a summary reflecting the most common sentiments expressed by players. This one involves reporting to, and meeting with, people in PR and even Legal a well as members of the Dev team. Kind of different. I would hope by now they have the major themes of feedback down...
That's an important question. I'm concerned with how that summary is interpreted by the people who make decisions.

Nev can (and probably does) tell them we are angry, upset, etc. But how that message is delivered surely impacts decisions. How much say does she have in the language? If all she can do is a bullet point, itemized, 200-word-or-less stat sheet, we're all doomed. If she has the freedom to compose something more elegant, there might just be hope.
I think it is summarized as thus:

https://i.imgur.com/oaVspSG.jpg
12/05/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Cannae
That's an important question. I'm concerned with how that summary is interpreted by the people who make decisions.

Nev can (and probably does) tell them we are angry, upset, etc. But how that message is delivered surely impacts decisions. How much say does she have in the language? If all she can do is a bullet point, itemized, 200-word-or-less stat sheet, we're all doomed. If she has the freedom to compose something more elegant, there might just be hope.

I will make an assumption. The written report is going to be organized and actual profanity removed. Professional writing and all that.

They DO meet to talk about it in person though which is where the CMs can offer their more colorful feedback, assuming the work environment allows it. I know Nev well enough to know she is not afraid of colorful terms and uses them liberally. I just don't know if she is allow to get that free with her words at work.

I wonder like most people here - we know Nev gets how upset the player base is/was. Do the suits? When they follow up by offering a contest where you need to own a Switch and Diablo 3 to win a D3 Switch package...It makes me smack my head a few times.
12/05/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Olbat
Are you asking how they process the feedback since Diablo 3 beta (2011)? Or since Blizzcon 2018?

Its the same no matter since when, "we hear you", write down the ideas and concerns of the player base, throw in trash, have company bonfire of written memos, roast marshmallows over concerns.
12/05/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Duckypoo
Corporate idiot A: "They want us to switch some things around."

Corporate idiot B: "Good idea... We should do a competition on Switch!"

Corporate idiot A: "Yes! We'll have them post a picture of them playing Diablo III on Switch so that they can have a chance to win a Switch!"

Corporate Idiot B: "This is perfect! Then they can play Diablo III on their new Switch."

Can i participate in the competition?

https://imgur.com/bRwwYRW
Blizzard Suit: Okay, so I hear the mutants on the forum are upset. Nevalistens, what can you tell us about the state of the community? Uh, Nevalistens? Nevalistens, hello?

Nevalistis: Oh, sorry, I was making sure my ctrl and V buttons work. Anyway, I think they're upset that Wyatt asked if they had phones or something.

Blizzard Suit: I see. This is an easy one to fix. We'll make a contest for them to win a phone. To enter, they just have to already have phones. Boom. Fixed. Are they mad about anything else?

Nevalistis: Well, they're not satisfied with the "multiple projects" line. They want to know what our vision for the franchise is.

Blizzard Suit: What's the franchise called again?

Nevalistis: Diablo, sir.

Blizzard Suit: Oh, yeah. Hard to remember we even have that one, let alone the name of it. Uh...well, let 'em be angry. We'll just call their anger "passion" and tell the shareholders everything is hunky-dory. See, by changing the language, we can change the truth. Anger is "passion," bad reviews are "mixed reviews," negative response is "muted response." See how easy?

Nevalistis: What about Diablo 3, sir? People are asking if the game is dead.

Blizzard Suit: I'll have the team pump out a patch. That'll shut them up. We'll make it so skills hit for eleventy TRILLION damage instead of eleventy billion.

Nevalistis: ...I'm going on vacation again.
12/05/2018 11:59 AMPosted by Putridian
Blizzard Suit: Okay, so I hear the mutants on the forum are upset. Nevalistens, what can you tell us about the state of the community? Uh, Nevalistens? Nevalistens, hello?

Nevalistis: Oh, sorry, I was making sure my ctrl and V buttons work. Anyway, I think they're upset that Wyatt asked if they had phones or something.

Blizzard Suit: I see. This is an easy one to fix. We'll make a contest for them to win a phone. To enter, they just have to already have phones. Boom. Fixed. Are they mad about anything else?

Nevalistis: Well, they're not satisfied with the "multiple projects" line. They want to know what our vision for the franchise is.

Blizzard Suit: Oh, yeah. Hard to remember we even have that one, let alone the name of it. Uh...well, let 'em be angry. We'll just call their anger "passion" and tell the shareholders everything is hunky-dory. See, by changing the language, we can change the truth. Anger is "passion," bad reviews are "mixed reviews," negative response is "muted response." See how easy?

Blizzard Suit: I'll have the team pump out a patch. That'll shut them up. We'll make it so skills hit for eleventy TRILLION damage instead of eleventy billion.

chuckled
12/05/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Chipoodle
Can i participate in the competition?

https://imgur.com/bRwwYRW
Pretty mediocre photographic fakery; they cut off your brother's hair!
12/05/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Lynch
I'm quite curious to how the feedback has been summarized and compiled for these internal discussions.

What's the general interpretation of the 4000+ post feedback in the "A Quick word from blizzard"? How is other sources of feedback compiled and summarized? How is it characterized for the discussions? How is the community feedback being represented? If you've been "hearing & listening" I'm sure you have come up with a general consensus in regards to the feedback from blizzcon and beyond.

What does the community think blizzards feedback summary is?

"F"

You know, good quality feedback from distinguished members of the community.
Blizzard Suit: Sr. our stock market is sinking. what shuld we do about it?
CEO: Quikly! move all the minios to mobile development. Tell them if they don't finish D:I by January, they won't get food.

I love a good satire.

:'(
The last one to leave, turn off the lights.

I believe that was something around that line but they changed it at the last second to not get unusual flak. Now people only meme about this contest, but if it was about phones they'd catch some backlash.