How is feedback summarized for internal discussions?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
12/06/2018 04:21 PMPosted by Alexismad
If the market research had a stable scientific footing, and all the negative press was just a handful of 'entitled' whiners throwing a tantrum, there would be no need for a scramble.

What scramble? Nevalistis has posted a few times about the situation. There's almost no other official response outside of a footnote to a stockholder meeting. Nothing else has changed.

I'll leave you to parse the conclusion of your original if/then assertion.
12/06/2018 03:26 PMPosted by Mercury
12/06/2018 03:17 PMPosted by MissCheetah
Show me the study.

Reality is nobody has done a through study at all of the reaction of current customers, or potential customers, to the DIE announcement.

We've been over this. The marketing research of Blizzard has already studied and presented this data.

Marketing data by trained and qualified marketing researchers holds a little more weight than the youtube comment section.

If they want to evaluate "all customers" then they need to send surveys to a random but statistically significant portion of the customer base.

If they want to sample potential customers, they need to figure out which demographic and region they are interested in and poll those.

This is an extremely basic process that all major businesses pursue. And indeed, they have done this. They have said as much already in public minutes.

What I can say 100% is the Blizzcon audience was NOT happy.

No one is debating that point.

The current D3 playerbase that is active on any form of social media or forums, is largely not happy.

This is a self selected group. It is inherently biased. It only represent this particular group. It would be extremely foolish, and likely illegal in a shareholder setting, to make any conclusions about the larger population based on this data set.

Are there some people out there who are ok with it? I am sure there are. However, without an actual study, your "estimate" is as good/bad as anyone else guessing.

Unlike you, I am not estimating or otherwise presenting my own original research. I am paraphrasing the only scientific data available as presented through publicly available business minutes.

Science > anger

Interesting, can you provide a link to these publicly available business minutes?
12/06/2018 06:26 PMPosted by Celestrious
Interesting, can you provide a link to these publicly available business minutes?

No problem. Here's what popped up after searching "Blizzard shareholder minutes"

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/08/activision-blizzard-inc-atvi-q3-2018-earnings-conf.aspx

There are numerous references to testing feedback and marketing figures.

You can also find a plethora of related data at:
https://investor.activision.com/investor-relations
The SAME earnings conference where they lied during the call and said DIE was "well received" at Blizzcon?
12/05/2018 11:53 AMPosted by MissCheetah
we know Nev gets how upset the player base is/was. Do the suits? When they follow up by offering a contest where you need to own a Switch and Diablo 3 to win a D3 Switch package...It makes me smack my head a few times.

Seems like Nev isn't relaying, doesn't get how upset the player base is if this is their response to her communication of our concerns. You honestly think she says "hey our PC players are super concerned we've abandoned their platform entirely" & their response is, "OK ty Nev, let's hold a contest that requires a switch!"....

How can we possible KNOW "she get's it"?
I've seen signs to the contrary since Blizzcon. Not even a " I will be sure to convey your concerns, I know some our truly worried" from her...get real, if she "gets it" she could say that much.

Jmo, but I don't take nothing as evidence that she's w/ us on any of this.
12/06/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Mercury
What scramble? Nevalistis has posted a few times about the situation. There's almost no other official response outside of a footnote to a stockholder meeting. Nothing else has changed.

I'll leave you to parse the conclusion of your original if/then assertion.

Aight, here we go.

DI announced at Blizzcon, didn't go over so well.

5 days later we get a carefully crafted Blue response on the official forums to buy some time telling us they hear us, they have been thinking about Diablo nonstop, please give us feedback, Our primary focus right now is poring over that feedback to inform internal discussions, you know, trying to show how much they care.

Funny how over the last several months to a year, we got pretty much zero Blue love, especially on the official forums. Maybe an occasional Twitter post chanting the mantra "multiple projects, forges burning hot". If they weren't scrambling at all, why the need to post anything? Just keep up with the usual say nothing, don't worry, they will stay with us no matter what we do approach.

Shareholders meeting takes place. Question gets asked about the timing of the DI announcement. President of company goes full 'Dancing with the Stars'. Spin, spin, spin, doesn't answer the question.

Funny how with all the marketing research, the president couldn't give a more straight answer. He goes into multiple project mode and DI salespitch mode.

Little more time goes by, and BAM, out of nowhere, comes a PTR patch. A quickie one week PTR and done.

Yes, Nev did say there was D3 content coming,and someone else said this was in the works for months, but funny how this PTR dropped sooo late in the season, and for only 1 week. With all this balancing going on it, and some QOL's thrown in, one week seems incredibly short. No adjustments, tweaks and test some more, just a quick see if it works then take it off. Seems like it was rushed or something, like maybe it was planned for next season, but they were scrambling and had to put something out to quiet that supposed miniscule group of whiny players. If there is no scrambling, why not wait until S16 for the PTR and put the quality and time in to testing it.

Now we get a 2nd Blue response in a month, throw in the mantra, tell us we are still hearing us, try to buy some time with the 'multiple projects not quite there, but we are going to show you over the next year'.

Funny how we get almost no love for months and months and months, then we get two carefully crafted, heart-felt responses on the official forums in one month. Why this drastic change of behavior to satiate a few unhappy customers? People have been complaining for years and the way the company dealt with it was ignore them and they will go away.

Finally, last few years standard operationg procedure was to end the season just before the holidays, then hit the reset button after new years. This year, season where no big patch hits gets extended well beyond the standard 3 month season length and the new one doesn't start until late Jan.

If they everything is going to schedule, why this big delay? Seems funny, like the PTR was seriously rushed and they don't want to drop a big patch over the holidays and have major bug issues while they are on vacation.

It sure seems there is way more scrambling going on than business as usual.
12/06/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Mercury
No problem. Here's what popped up after searching "Blizzard shareholder minutes"

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/08/activision-blizzard-inc-atvi-q3-2018-earnings-conf.aspx

Care to point out where these testing feedback and marketing figures are? That's a lot of digging for those who don't know what to look for.
12/05/2018 11:47 AMPosted by MissCheetah
It really depends on what topic. This is what I THINK is going on.

Weekly Report

-This is the summary of feedback from across media. Forums, reddit, twitter, FB, fan sites, streamers, etc. Generally divided into categories that help organize the data. It will include topics that get a reasonable amount of participation. The feedback from the other Regions is also sent to the person in charge of writing the report. When done, it is submitted, and an in person follow up meeting is held each week. This sort of feedback helps shape what they decide to do in later development or patch cycles. Even ideas for the next iteration of the game.

Hot Topics
-These would be separate issues that need to be escalated before the weekly report is due. Usually these involve reactions to patch changes or new bugs/exploits. Communication is the usual email/in person/meeting type thing. Often a Hotfix is the result. This feedback goes to QA or Devs as needed depending on the topic.

PTR or Beta Feedback
-This would be separate from the main weekly feedback and would go to those working on the patch. It often focuses on very specific things the Devs are looking for so those topics are prioritized - usually they are easy to tell because Blizz makes "focused feedback" threads asking for the info. Of course, other major hot topics will be included. Some changes though are going to be out of scope for the current patch cycle and may be considered down the road. This is going to be the core Dev team working on the updates who need this data. Note - once a patch hits the Beta or PTR, most game design changes are done and they are only looking at number tweaks.

Engagement Campaigns
-These are the promotional or player engagement campaigns they run on multiple platforms. They are often contests that get players to answer trivia, react to a post, submit a picture, etc. They are expected to provide engagement data and feedback about player reactions. This would be coordinated more with Marketing and Publishing than with the Dev team.

Special Issues
-Such as the current response to Blizzcon. That would be documented as a summary reflecting the most common sentiments expressed by players. This one involves reporting to, and meeting with, people in PR and even Legal a well as members of the Dev team. Kind of different. I would hope by now they have the major themes of feedback down...

This looks to me like a question that Blizzard should have been able to answer themselves if they really were doing what they say that they are doing. You shouldn't be the one answering these questions for Blizzard they should be able to answer the questions without revealing anything about their multiple projects and if they aren't able to answer them or choose not to it really indicates that they most likely aren't listening to us at all.
12/06/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Mercury
12/06/2018 06:26 PMPosted by Celestrious

I don't see anything substantial in the first link, just worthless corporate double speak and I don't expect to find anything more useful in the second link but you're free to highlight some key points if you want to try to form a more solid basis for your arguments.

I'm kind of surprised by your position in this thread. Maybe there is a bit of a difference in our experiences here but it seems like you don't understand how corporate culture becomes sycophantic and blind to reality.

This is a chain of command problem where the higher ups have stopped listening to feedback from the people who are closer to reality and started paying "experts" to give them rationalizations for what they want to do instead.

You've never seen this play out before? You've never seen large organizations make colossal mistakes which seem pretty damn obvious from an outside perspective?

I'm sure their marketing research does "look" scientific and probably did cost a lot of money to produce. I don't agree with you that this makes it inherently more reliable or a higher authority than what we have observed directly from people online.

They made a huge blunder with Blizzcon and that in itself is quite telling that their expensive and "scientific" market research is broken on quite a fundamental level. They completely missed the mark and did not understand their audience whatsoever.

How can you believe that an organization which is able to miss the mark so badly is also somehow able to produce quality market research? Seems like you're holding onto a bit of a contradiction there.
We've been over this. The marketing research of Blizzard has already studied and presented this data.

They looked at the wrong place then it seems. They presented a game aimed at a certain narrow market infront of a worldwide audience hence why this uproar happened. Anyone could've said this new game is only aimed at Apple users and China for the richest 1% of the world a.k.a whales for microtransactions.

Because 1% top of the world will spend much more than the rest 99% at these sorta MTX models, combined. The entire average sum of 99% of the world is only a fraction of top 1% spends on MTX models. Don't tell me, D:I aren't made for them. Blizzard is the best at knowing these sorta information, but again, they looked at the other way ditching their content starving core fans.

Diablo franchise was just starving for content and mobile gaming simply means starving fans more for scourging money. Next Diablo installment won't arrive for years from the looks of it, and we'll be convicted to play this or another Blizzard game while waiting.
On top of this, whole outsourcing the game also mean our data would be shared with China as well. At some point as those phone applications will have wide reaches of procedures on your phone for measly an agreement; a simple tap of confirmation will be enough.

So yeah, in a motion, rest 99% see such thing as a repulsive manner since they're not the target audience anymore and they worry about their data. 99% is just a great number if you ask me and most of them sounded their displease at several media outlets, be it Youtube, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook. Most people do NOT joke or take lightly of the money they earn unlike that 1-3% of the world.

China's world GDP is at 12.2k billion dollars right now closing to be second after USA. Of course they did this game for China, a 2 billion population country with second highest GDP. Other whales in other countries and Apple users are just cream of the crop. It has a wide reach, but people doesn't use their expensive phones for gaming at all.

No doubt, this kinda tail shift on fundamentals would make any investor anxious in a whim. They simply didn't care for their core and upon witnessing that, investors started to pull their support. Since they failed to release a new IP this year and tied all their hope on an "outsourced application", support dwindled fast. This Blizzcon was a clear message that they can not release new IPs anymore.

If I was a parent, I wouldn't let my kid touch a game about diabolic siblings. It's just that easy, it's something called "parent concern". It doesn't matter if you try to hide it or not, there's "Diablo" in the title. They had better candidates for turning into mobile than Diablo. They picked the worst option out of several like they're clueless. Even HotS would be a better choice.

If you think otherwise please come in with statistics to rot my view on mobile games. For example, giving me a statistic about how many of these mobile games having microtransaction models and how many don't, would be a start.
Another emphasis could be their average popularity, if they were to have no microtransaction models; which is roughly 1 year tops. May be you wanna discuss how Blizzard were able to release new IPs easily, but they simply didn't because they don't want investors to throw all their money at them.

If you are so concerned you can try to convince me on mobile games not being money traps for kids with their parents' credit card. As you realize, more you get older you simply quit playing mobile games with lots of colors and give it to your kids. To me it's not okay for a child to play a game about demonic siblings, no matter if it's PG or not. Or wanna talk about how Diablo is the perfect IP for the kids with this lore? We can settle this as well.

Also I'd like to see another statistic about that I'm safe on my phone if I ever let an application reach my microphone and photographs for no reason. If you wanna cash out 200$ monthly at the drop of a hat for an outsourcing company, please be my guest.

12/06/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Mercury
Your lack of knowledge on the basic terminology does not obligate my response. Your ignorance isn't important or special.

That doesn't change the fact that you're being evasive after dumping your view without any solid back up.

12/06/2018 03:26 PMPosted by Mercury
I am paraphrasing the only scientific data available as presented through publicly available business minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

12/06/2018 07:56 PMPosted by Zyron
& their response is, "OK ty Nev, let's hold a contest that requires a switch!"....

That's just about Nintendo being Nintendo, nothing about Blizzard. That contest is there just for harvesting information and getting a general profile for average consumer base.

12/06/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Steve
Your writing is green so you are like a god for all these suck up worshipers.

If you think someone has a point, they have a point. That's making it personal by "you haz green so peepul think yur rite", totally biased and unneeded. If you're trolling the joke is lost on me, really.
12/07/2018 01:59 AMPosted by Celestrious
I don't see anything substantial in the first link, just worthless corporate double speak and I don't expect to find anything more useful in the second link but you're free to highlight some key points if you want to try to form a more solid basis for your arguments.

There are strong points in both. These aren't casual conversations. They are legally liable to shareholders for misstatements. They have a colossal amount of research and market projections.

I'm kind of surprised by your position in this thread. Maybe there is a bit of a difference in our experiences here but it seems like you don't understand how corporate culture becomes sycophantic and blind to reality.

This is a chain of command problem where the higher ups have stopped listening to feedback from the people who are closer to reality and started paying "experts" to give them rationalizations for what they want to do instead.

You've never seen this play out before?

Only on television.

I'm sure their marketing research does "look" scientific and probably did cost a lot of money to produce. I don't agree with you that this makes it inherently more reliable or a higher authority than what we have observed directly from people online.

There is no hope for you then. Self selected internet polls are completely unreliable sampling data. This is well established. There's no other way to say it. Only fools think social media works as a sampling method.

They made a huge blunder with Blizzcon and that in itself is quite telling that their expensive and "scientific" market research is broken on quite a fundamental level. They completely missed the mark and did not understand their audience whatsoever.

How can you believe that an organization which is able to miss the mark so badly is also somehow able to produce quality market research? Seems like you're holding onto a bit of a contradiction there.

No. That is the point we are debating. You are begging the question.

There are certainly some people that are angry. I contend, as does actual data, that said people are in the minority. There's no contradiction in "Why would Blizzard announce a game that they have every reason to believe will do well?"

Some people being really angry about a video game doesn't change that.
They are legally liable to shareholders for misstatements.

That means players matter and fanbase reactions matter. Yes, indeed it's about us as much as other core audiences there. What Blizzard did was ignoring their core way too long while willing to tap into other markets and failing to give a serious IP than an outsourced application that runs on octuple processor phones.

12/07/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Mercury
I contend, as does actual data, that said people are in the minority.

We called you out to prove it; several times. These people who follow Diablo news to sound displease are the actual audience, or "were" former audience. You can not dismiss them that easily. Anything you blurt out won't change their roots. Unless you're taking the entire population of the world as "untapped potential" like a fool ofcourse.

If you think Youtube and Twitter population are resembling a minority, I'd dare you to find a bigger outlet than Youtube or Twitter. A Chinese site with outstandingly positive receieve upon Diablo Immortal would be cool. About 500k-600k positive response would suffice I say. It's just nothing compared to China's 2 billion population when you take it like that. Right?

There's no contradiction in "Why would Blizzard announce a game that they have every reason to believe will do well?"

There's a question in; "Why the hell Blizzard wanna announce a game that caters to a single oversaturated narrow-ended market infront of a worldwide audience from several countries?".
There are other questions in "Why are they out-sourcing it of all places to China? Just to appeal 1% and tapping into wholly another audience for a tail shift? Why China wants to partake in this data harvesting?" phrases. And those are all unanswered, but not unheard of.
Let me ask another, "how gullible, are you?".

As I pointed out at several other threads, you're not getting points when you point out Blizzard needing money, you're being "Cpt. Obvious". We all know it gonna go well for them, but that doesn't prevent them getting a slap in the wrist now because they blew their PR, shifting audiences and being misled into this.
Diablo is a terrible choice for making into mobile just to tap into Asian markets; at least it's a bad choice when China is looking to regulate the game time spent on phones by their youth and they being a closed box at most situations.

Self selected internet polls are completely unreliable sampling data.

They are the most popular ones. Do you have any other suggestions? A Chinese site may be? Can you show us a Chinese site with over 500k positive responses? Do you prefer that instead?

They have a colossal amount of research and market projections.

On all the wrong places, missing under their nose.

Some people being really angry about a video game doesn't change that.

Do you remember Wall Street protests? Blizzard stepped at that unwillingly.
*sigh* We are all arguing points that mostly AGREE with each other.

- Yes, forums, youtube, and even Blizzard are self selected subsets of the larger player population. The current player population is a subset of the entire population of gamers world wide.

-Proper statistical analysis means a random sample of a sound statistical significance of the target audience you want to get data from.

-In this case, when making a new product, you want to consider not only your current gamers, but ALL potential customers. I already agreed the data soundly shows that Mobile is a very large market world wise. Developing for it is logical.

Now MARKETING also uses data - and HAS to consider the self selected audience they intend to show the product to. That determines how best to announce, market, and promote the product. Why consider it? Because word of mouth and player reactions online matter. That is either free advertising, or a PR blunder.

What everyone here is saying, is not that Blizz is wrong that there IS a big mobile market.

What they did not understand, was the AUDIENCE they were announcing the new product to. A win means not only a good product, but proper marketing to each audience.

My post here is actually right. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770576878?page=3#post-57

It does exactly what I said above - acknowledge they do have the global market data on game system prevalence and use to made product dev decisions on.

But it also points out where the PR and Marketing team did NOT understand the audience they were marketing to - and how it would have worked better.

There are strong points in both. These aren't casual conversations. They are legally liable to shareholders for misstatements. They have a colossal amount of research and market projections.

Oh yeah, I forgot, nobody has ever lied to a shareholder before... Not in the history of the planet, I'm sure.

Have you ever heard of stretching the truth? You can present what you know is true in such a way that you know it will be interpreted incorrectly while you have not technically lied about anything. You can maintain certain favorable points you'd like to make while also maintaining a fallback position to say "when I say x, I meant it in this specific way and technically it is true".

Or in other words, lying in a way that you can weasel your way out of any consequences.

Peoples careers and jobs are on the line and they are dealing with a something which has blown up in Blizzards face in a catastrophic way. They are doing damage control and that means being "creative" with the facts.
I've seen signs to the contrary since Blizzcon. Not even a " I will be sure to convey your concerns, I know some our truly worried" from her...get real, if she "gets it" she could say that much.

Exactly. It would be nice to know how she has taken in all of the feedback and how she has characterized or described it to her co-workers. For all we know, she may missing something or believe something that isn't exactly true. Without an actual conversation (back and fourth), we really aren't going to get anywhere or even begin to understand each other.
12/08/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Lynch

Exactly. It would be nice to know how she has taken in all of the feedback and how she has characterized or described it to her co-workers. For all we know, she may missing something or believe something that isn't exactly true. Without an actual conversation (back and fourth), we really aren't going to get anywhere or even begin to understand each other.

lets be blunt the community team is inept and seemingly unwilling to interact further than canned responses. either they arnt allowed or are unwilling/unable.

all we get told is they are listening and looking things over while not actually saying what they are looking over and how they see it from their side on game changes. this shows how much they care for our opinions especially over the past 12 months or so.

not asking for new content (would be nice) but some basic interaction and open discussions where the community team actually get involved and interact.
12/06/2018 06:58 PMPosted by GhostDragon
The SAME earnings conference where they lied during the call and said DIE was "well received" at Blizzcon?

Yes, the same conference which said that audience reaction to the announcement was muted, i.e. quiet. Yeah, not sure how the audience booing the presenters can be construed as a muted reaction.
12/06/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Mercury
It only proves that some negative opinions exist, already a salient point.

Except the stocks dropped harshly after the announcement and it has only stayed down more so than the current stock drops (overall) can explain.

Blizzard's marketing department and stockholders disagree with you.

No, they don't. Again, check the stocks.
12/09/2018 04:42 AMPosted by OSGAC

lets be blunt the community team is inept

If we're blunt, there is no community team. 3 posts in a month is not interaction and its shocking they actually bother to pretend to fill a position that does nothing.