New player ... question

General Discussion
Hello there,

I'm new to the game. Just did the free trial to level 11, really enjoyed it and bought the $25 pack that I guess gets me everything.

I've gone and read the lore and it SEEMS the first bit I played last night is Act 3? I understand that makes sense as this is Diablo 3 but (stupid question time) does this mean there's no way to play the game from the actual start?
Are you on Story mode or Adventure mode?

You should be forced through the story in order, on story mode.
I think you have to do story mode first on the account to unlock adventure mode and challenge rift mode. But only once then you wont have to do it again during new seasons and what not
The free trial allows you up to the Skeleton King, which is a boss in Act 1. The Campaign Mode has five acts and lots of bosses. Once you've completed the campaign this gives you access to Adventure Mode, which gives you access to bounties, nephalem rifts and (once you're level 70) greater rifts. As you've upgraded from the trial to the full version you can continue from the chapter of Act 1 you were at where you've killed the Skeleton King.
01/07/2019 08:49 AMPosted by BuckyMcShane
it SEEMS the first bit I played last night is Act 3?
Can't be act 3. Skeleton King of Act 1 is the end of Starter Edition (trial version) (or char lv 13, whatever come first).

After purchase, the game may reset the progress to beginning, but you can change the progress on the Game Settings menu (i.e. the button under the "Start Game" or "Resume Game" button). Click the "Change" button in the middle of the screen and then select the last quest you had finished. You just need to kill Skeleton King again. Then a secure door will open and then you can continue the story.

Side quests randomly appear. Therefore you may need to go back to redo some quests (if you want to get 100% achievement. I don't bother :-P)

01/07/2019 08:49 AMPosted by BuckyMcShane
does this mean there's no way to play the game from the actual start?
If you want to start from beginning again, just create a new hero.
Note that gold/stash/... are shared among heroes. There is no way to reset them.
If you mean "actual start" = adventure mode, you must complete all 5 acts to unlock it.
The game clearly marks the beginning and end of each act. It will even ask you if you wish to proceed via a prompt when you end an act.
01/07/2019 09:34 AMPosted by Merdrah
The game clearly makes the beginning and end of each act. It will even ask you if you wish to proceed via a prompt when you end an act.

You must actually click on the correct npc to be asked if you wish to proceed to next act.
Your answers are provided in previous comments ta, so let me just say: welcome to the club! Have fun.
Oh ok!

I was just going by the lore I read on the website with Deckard and Leah and the falling star. It said that was act 3.

So once it synchs up I'll be playing from the start. Thanks!
01/07/2019 10:13 AMPosted by BuckyMcShane
Oh ok!

I was just going by the lore I read on the website with Deckard and Leah and the falling star. It said that was act 3.

So once it synchs up I'll be playing from the start. Thanks!

It breaks down in-game from Act to Quest in story mode. In adventure mode it's Act to area/zone.
You can always start over choosing any point you progressed so far. In main menu go to game settings change to story mode and choose from which point you want to start. In your case choose first available quest and that's start of the game. Hope this will help.
Welcome to D3... This is only a suggestion, but id recommend avoiding playing with other people or anything like adventure mode until you have played through the campaign once. if you accept someones offer of help, youll likely end up with a level 70 +300paragon character with a mountain of stuff you dont know what to do with....
01/07/2019 12:10 PMPosted by CreamyTuna
Welcome to D3... This is only a suggestion, but id recommend avoiding playing with other people or anything like adventure mode until you have played through the campaign once. if you accept someones offer of help, youll likely end up with a level 70 +300paragon character with a mountain of stuff you dont know what to do with....

Well you have to complete the campaign before you can do adventure mode.
And if OP needs to, Lord fluffy and Rhykker on YouTube have great class build guides.
01/07/2019 12:25 PMPosted by Pestilence
01/07/2019 12:10 PMPosted by CreamyTuna

Well you have to complete the campaign before you can do adventure mode.
And if OP needs to, Lord fluffy and Rhykker on YouTube have great class build guides.

pretty sure you can be invited to adventure mode before beating campaign... as i was quite a few times in HC before i finally ran through it... then again i smoke weed so maybe im just remembering it wrong