Firebird / Desintegrate & igniting elites

Wizard
Playing HC for a change and I know I the preferable skill is Arcane Torrent - Flame Ward, but since this whole HC is a new for me anyway and I've always liked Desintegrate I've stuck, for now at least, with this.

I've got the full FB set and using MW - Ignite and let it rain meteor (shower) with the help of Deathwish and the usual compliment items.

Now I'm still in the process of gearing up (T10 is about it and I trigger my cheat death there somewhat regularly), feel still quiet squishy and I'm very cautious (need to unlearn my habit of jumping in the middle of stuff) but I can hardly get 20 stacks I notice.

I do see it sometimes, but I get the impression that when I ignite an elite they die almost instantly. Looks like my damage, when ignited, is leagues above my survival capabilities then?

Also can somebody answer this: the faster you can channel (your AS is) does that also mean the faster the meteors come down?
12/25/2018 04:46 AMPosted by Sardaukar
I do see it sometimes, but I get the impression that when I ignite an elite they die almost instantly. Looks like my damage, when ignited, is leagues above my survival capabilities then?

This is correct.
A set like firebird/tal rasha/others give you lots of dps, around 40 times more than usual as an average, but only around twice more survivability.
With such a dps at your torment level you blow up anything instantly when it is up and immediatly lose it after removing the ignited elite so the protection part of the set bonus is in fact never up.

My advice for you is to slowly build up your dps/ehp without it, then when you're ready replace with pieces of the firebird set.
Imo the firebird is for pushing past T13, until after T13 you don't need it, I removed it when I realized it gimped me and reached T13 only with 2 pieces of the FB set for the save it offers (the helmet and the trousers), an endless walk set and normal brown legendaries beside that.
And I have nowhere near optimized stuff with all the correct affixes.
If you want you can go look at my Summer character to see what I do with it, I play on the european server.

If there is one specific thing I advise you use karini and not an arlyse, an arlyse is played with ancient partian defenders because the freeze status is a stun status so it works while surrounded by a big crowd; the karini need you only to leave one enemy following you to benefit from the more consistent damage reduction.

Also can somebody answer this: the faster you can channel (your AS is) does that also mean the faster the meteors come down?

No, the source is the one casting the extra spender and it cast only once per second, not less and not more.
If you have others spenders in your skillbar it will cast them from time to time instead of the meteor thus reducing your dps, so try to avoid that.
I personally never play Firebirds anything in less then 100s+ just because if mobs aren't burning you have no defense (apart from 2pc).

Also why do you not want to jump into mobs group? If wearing apds and have last rune of teleport (the one that stuns) then your getting a lot of defense from that. Which should give you time to launch metoers move metoers ect.

Granted I don't play hardcore. So don't necessarily listen to me. Unless you have extra gear your willing to lose in a test.
If you're not hitting an elite it's hard to build 20 stacks. With that said, you always want an elite around to max your damage.

With FB meteor shower build I use Black Hole - Blazar as a safety net and for traveling. It helps clears doorways and places you might get stuck.