Am I the only one happy about HOTS maintenance?

General Discussion
I personally think the HOTS going in maintenance mode is very good news. For the first time since Blizzard North, they admit HOTS pumps resources and hots can't reach community's expectations (too childish, microtransactions, too basic game mechanisms...). Besides, they specifically take "diablo2" as FIRST example of a great game.

Why do I think they listen and are taking actions?

- Diablo jobs were stuck at 10-14 for 15 months. 2 weeks ago there were 24!
They are looking for "Art Outsource Supervisors" in various Diablo departments. (in addition from creative director and lead artists)
It means they want to double check every work and make sure it matches the artstyle of the franchise.
- They told us that "evil things take longer", it means that cartoon artstyle takes less time to design than more serious and realistic ones.
- The kotaku article proves they internally were already very unhappy about Diablo 3.

For the first time since Blizzard North shut down, I am being optimistic.
Blizzard is finally taking actions, I can understand it's hurting a portion of fans and employees. But for once, it's seems to be for the better. Cutting jobs and stopping the development or questionable games can be salutary.

Some youtubers journalists blame blizzard for everything they are currently doing, while they were praising them for everything they did in the past. It makes no sense.
I'm not happy about it. It's only more evidence of the downfall of Blizzard. The Blizzard of the past wouldn't screw over any fans or employees. This only adds more bad publicity on top of the the botched D:I announcement. I don't really want to see Blizzard fail, but they're not doing a very good job right now.
I'm optimistic enough to at least entertain the possibility that HotS will become a better game once it frees itself from the obligations of an ESports MoBA. It was never going to make LoL money, and Blizzard was foolish to put all their eggs in that basket. I hope development for the game will continue rather than stagnate.

That being said...

There is absolutely no way you can look at how Blizzard handled the sudden dropping of HGC, essentially putting hundreds of people out of a job just before Christmas who had been explicitly told at Blizzcon that HGC would continue, and say that this is the kind of thing the Blizzard we knew and loved would do.

It says a lot about how Blizzard views its community, and I do not like what I am seeing one bit.

The message I'm getting from Diablo Immortal, the cancellation of D3 Xpac 2, the de-escalation of Hots, and the increased presence in the mobile market is telling me one thing.

We are expendable.
Dunno, don't play it.

I thought this was the Diablo forum?
the hots news is related to d3 in looking at blizzard's new push for profits over gaming. d3 was basically ended after reaper b/c it wasn't "profitable enough" (despite being very profitable) and now hots is being dismantled as well.

what this means is blizzard is no longer about video games. they are about making activision money and getting the highest $$ value for shareholder reports.

what it also means is more mobile games are coming, likely at the cost of quality for their PC games. they've already talked about a pokemon go type of mobile game for wow, and we are already seeing a lot of quality reduction in wow BFA. although i've been entertained with BFA b/c i raid with friends and have a good guild, my time playing alts has drastically shifted and now i basically just play my 1 character (where as in legion and previous expansions i was playing 2-4 alts in addition to a main).

it's overall troubling news. it means any PC game that cannot compete with mobile game $$ is now threatened. and mobile games are a dime a dozen and they fail constantly, which means blizzard will continue to shift in developing new mobile games to constantly get that cheap dollar.

because from a business perspective, mobile games make more sense. they take less time to develop, are easier to manage, and make a hell of a lot of money, especially in asian markets. where as PC games require effort and years of development.
i personally stopped playing HotS when they started changing every class to be PvP-Hero centric instead of both hero and minion based skills.

I dont play HotS PvP at all. so having every single class geared toward matches lasting 40 minutes is just stupid for me. my average match length was ~11 minutes and approximately level 12 at the end of the battle.

the game was fine. constantly trying to get me to PvP was not.
HotS was released at least 5 years too late to be a big success. They released it as MOBA games started to lose popularity.
12/16/2018 07:23 PMPosted by DOA
Dunno, don't play it.

It's related to Diablo because the company wants to save money everywhere it's possible. They write that they are moving hots developers to other games.
Bad news for Hots, but I believe it's good news for the Diablo franchise because they clearly hire a lot lately for diablo projects.
I see it related.

They want to invest more in quality. And cut expenses in cash-grabs with out of control artstyle.
12/16/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Olbat
- They told us that "evil things take longer", it means that cartoon artstyle takes less time to design than more serious and realistic ones.

You're not an artist, are you? This has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time.

- The kotaku article proves they internally were already very unhappy about Diablo 3.

Of course. The profiteering scheme they hoped to get away with blew up in their face. No revenue tail means unhappy custom......... errrr, shareholders.

They are looking for "Art Outsource Supervisors" in various Diablo departments. (in addition from creative director and lead artists)
It means they want to double check every work and make sure it matches the artstyle of the franchise.

This could mean so many things. Remember how project Hades was allegedly going to be dark and gritty, yet got canned? How does this fit into this little fantasy of yours?

Blizzard is finally taking actions, I can understand it's hurting a portion of fans and employees. But for once, it's seems to be for the better. Cutting jobs and stopping the development or questionable games can be salutary.

"Seems" being the key word here. Getting hyped about Blizzard's projects has proven rather unhealthy in recent years. Blizzcon should've taught you a hard lesson here. I'll get excited when I see something tangible instead of random assumptions and unsubstantiated theories.

Some youtubers journalists blame blizzard for everything they are currently doing, while they were praising them for everything they did in the past. It makes no sense.

What the hell did you expect, really? Blizzard's blatant disconnect with it's core audience isn't a mystery. It's freaking mainstream news at this point, and among the biggest disappointments this year. Keep in mind we're talking about a year where Fallout 76, Battlefield V and so many other disappointments happened. They're the ones deciding to set that crappy mobile Diablo game as the main highlight over at Blizzcon. They're the ones swipping the rug from under the feet of many people's livelihoods depending on HOTS's Esports scene without giving a damn about it. They're the ones failing to deliver compelling updates for BFA and perpetuating the downwards subs trend in WoW. They're the ones obsessing over Esports balancing for Overwatch despite the community wanting otherwise. Hell, they even appointed Mr. You think you want this, but you don't as their new president, and are now chasiing trends (and lagging behind) instead of setting them. How exactly is all the mess going on there not their fault?
12/16/2018 10:03 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
How exactly is all the mess going on there not their fault?

You are misunderstanding. I'm not saying it's not their fault. I hate every Blizzard Irvine games. And Immortal above all.

random assumptions

Random assumptions?
Look at the reactions of the people overreacting seeing it as a negative news. I'm the one trying to be sceptical.
I am being optimistic.

12/16/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Olbat
I'm the one trying to be sceptical.

Pick one.
12/16/2018 07:23 PMPosted by DOA
Dunno, don't play it.

Did you get that joke out of a Bazooka Joe wrapper?

(Sorry Bazooka Joe, you're a legend)
I personally think the HOTS going in maintenance mode is very good news. For the first time since Blizzard North, they admit HOTS pumps resources and hots can't reach community's expectations (too childish, microtransactions, too basic game mechanisms...). Besides, they specifically take "diablo2" as FIRST example of a great game.

Why do I think they listen and are taking actions?

what is hots? this is the diablo forum. go away kid.