Regarding the whole "true fans" moniker.

General Discussion
I wonder - what do you think makes a person a "True fan" of Diablo?

I've seen the tag of "true fan" being thrown around willy nilly in threads and it just seems weird to me that people make that distinction.
Just one of many ways people use to tell others their opinion is more valid and better than others. Like when people need to tell everyone how they spent 10k hours and a decade playing nothing but D2.

Your either a fan or your not, and its not a permanent setting that is either on or off.

Right now D3 has languished while other games have flourished, im not a huge fan of D3 right now. I want to be, but theres little reason to come back while there are tons of reasons to be else where.

I was a fan of D3 when it launched, even with the issues, even with ac2 being insanely hard and even after the RMAH was removed. I was a big fan after ROS...just the game sort of stalled out and the lack of depth made farming endgame less and less rewarding.

I dont care about the mobile game, but i also dont care about the anger around it and dont participate in it. I just want to know if i can look forward to D4 in the near future since D3 is clearly abandoned, or if i stay where im at or focus on other games coming soon.

I usually like blizzards work, even if i dont like the game specifically, and i love APRG games...so right now i have nothing to chew on with blizzard.

I stop by every few months and see if anything interestings going on then usually leave and carry on.

Am i a fan? who cares. My opinions are as forgettable and pointless as the next guys.
"True Fan" is something that you can't really quantify. Fanatic on the other hand is easy to put a finger on.

You can be a huge fan of the game because, like many, you enjoyed playing the game, possibly all releases of the game, yet wish there was more. Accepting the current state of the game because you still found enjoyment in playing makes you a fan.

Then, you have the fanatics. They can't be satisfied in simply expressing their opinion and discontent. They have to point out that since you don't agree with their opinion, you're obviously not a "True Fan" and your opinion surely does not count. They will explain to you about the "Golden Age" of the game and how even after playing hundreds, if not thousands of hours of Diablo 3, they never enjoyed it and were cheated out of their money that they spent on the game.
Well I have a Diablo mouse pad, pictures of Diablo characters on my wall, Diablo shirts, and I played every season of Diablo 3. LoL.
This is how you become a TRUE FAN of something:
You enjoy it.
That's it. The end.
01/03/2019 08:49 AMPosted by kikidmonkey
This is how you become a TRUE FAN of something:
You enjoy it.
That's it. The end.

^^^
Exactly this!

You can point out how you are, are not, a fan of something and express your reasoning behind that choice.

You can't however state that someone else is not a fan because they don't meet your criteria.

I enjoy cheap wine and good bourbon. My ex enjoyed expensive wine and hated bourbon. She would constantly attempt to explain to me how I had an uneducated palate when it came to enjoying wine. Nope; I just enjoyed a something that appealed to my specific taste.
01/03/2019 09:02 AMPosted by Griff
You can't however state that someone else is not a fan because they don't meet your criteria.

Exactly this. The problem is the goal post moves. The person making the claims can change what circumstances determine being 'this' or 'that' requires. Even though they themselves are unqualified to make the claim to begin with and their opinion holds no more weight than yours. This guy said it best:

01/03/2019 07:44 AMPosted by Crunchyblack
Just one of many ways people use to tell others their opinion is more valid and better than others.

You see this sort of thing in all variety of flavors through life. Anything to elevate your opinion over your peers.
"True fan" is simply a self-appointed title some players give themselves. Their reasons for doing so are their own, but typically it's used as a means to demean someone else's opinion that goes against their beliefs of something in the game series.

I'm a fan of Diablo. A big fan. I've enjoyed playing all three games so far, warts and all. I've been playing Diablo 1 off and on since Dec 1997. Played Diablo 2 off and on since release. Played Diablo 3 off and on since release. I've put a lot of hours in each game. I've talked smack about all the games as well, as there are things I believe could be changed for the better in each game.

Is my opinion more valid than someone else's opinion? I believe not. I might get in debates with people on why I feel my opinion is justified and the reasons why, but that doesn't mean I don't consider their side of the debate. I might not agree with them, but I do respect their beliefs.

I guess if I had to give a definition of a "true fan", it would be someone that isn't going to look down on another player because they have less game time or lifetime elite kills. The true fan won't look down on someone that doesn't complete as high a GR as they do. They won't snub someone's opinion nor the other person's passion because they don't chase leaderboards or try funky builds that are not necessarily optimized to get the fastest times for GR or finish Bounties as soon as possible.

A true fan will want to talk about the game they enjoy, and with others to find out how they enjoy the game and why. A true fan would want to share the positive things of their experience, not bash other players because they play differently.

There are some true fans on this site given my definition. I don't believe I am one of them, as sometimes I get a bit crotchety about the turn D3 has taken and maybe talk more negatively about it than I should. I feel justified about my opinion, negative or not. But really, I guess it's just passion on wanting to see the game become what it could be, instead of what it is.
In any game 3 things make a "true Fan"
1. Skill at the game.
2. Dedication to the game.
3. Knowledge about the game.

These are just some of the things that would show you really are a "true fan" of this franchise. Even though some of these things aren't great, they demonstrate your skill, dedication and knowledge none the less.

If you know what the godly plate of the whale is, you must be a true fan.

If you can kill the butcher on your first try, you must be a true fan.

If you know how to dupe things in D1 & D2, you must be a true fan.

If you hosted your own baal runs, you must be a true fan.

If you spent $1,000 or more on Diablo 2 Items, you must be a true fan.

If you soloed all the bosses to get your own hellfire torch, you must be a true fan.

If you got a character to level 97, 98 or 99, you must be a true fan.

If you played a shapeshifting barb, you must be a true fan.

If you spent $1,000 or more on the RMAH, you must be a true fan.

If you didn't get caught during the whole ruby thing, you must be a true fan.

If you boycott the my little pony world because it doesn't belong in Diablo, you must be a true fan.

If your heart broke when they killed Cain, you must be a true fan.

If you know who Deckard Cain Elder is, you must be a true fan.

If you have his autograph, you must be an uber fan.

This is just some of the stuff I can think of.
Judging by the thumbs up they give each other, I'd say a true fan is someone who cries all the time and doesn't care about facts if they don't align with their belief that Blizzard is dead.
01/03/2019 07:19 AMPosted by KushiSensei
I wonder - what do you think makes a person a "True fan" of Diablo?

A true fan of Diablo likes Diablo in all of it's forms and doesn't go mental because it goes to another platform and gets mad because it's not about them and the PC version
11/04/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Beefcake
I am a true and old Diablo fan

11/04/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Beefcake
Tl;DR - Burn in hell Diablo Immortal... and don't come back

This guy I don't call a Diablo fan even though he says he is because of the whole TL:DR part
seriously if you are a true fan why are you against the people of today who are mostly mobile phone users from being able to enjoy Diablo and it has to be solely about yourselves and your PC
It's not like buying D:I is a requirement and if D3 on PC was going to be ignored because they have gone to mobile then the patch that is about to come online wouldn't have been made
So a "true fan" isn't allowed to find fault or dislike any aspect of their fandom?
01/03/2019 10:24 AMPosted by kikidmonkey
So a "true fan" isn't allowed to find fault or dislike any aspect of their fandom?

Does a fanatic ever find fault with what they are fanatical about
True fan is a person who, for years, spent money getting to blizzcon in hope of hearing good news about the games they like but only to be ridiculed by this question...

"Dont you have phone?"
01/03/2019 10:42 AMPosted by Pokemon
True fan is a person who, for years, spent money getting to blizzcon in hope of hearing good news about the games they like but only to be ridiculed by this question...

"Dont you have phone?"

That may be true but most people were complaining because it wasn't about them and the PC version
01/03/2019 10:42 AMPosted by Pokemon

"Dont you have phone?"

True fans are people who like Blizzard's games and play(ed) most of them. That's it... that's what a true fan is in the gaming industry. A true fan can dislike a game made by they favorite company, but someone who wants that company to die, because of one or two games that were not up to their standards is just being immature...

Real fans are those who are waiting to see what Blizzard is planning to do about the current situation... Those jumping on the hate bandwagon are the gamer version of the 50yo woman who wants to talk to the manager and says she'll never buy another product from them (and yet she's going to be back in that store as soon as they sell something she likes).
01/03/2019 07:44 AMPosted by Crunchyblack
Just one of many ways people use to tell others their opinion is more valid and better than others. Like when people need to tell everyone how they spent 10k hours and a decade playing nothing but D2.

Your either a fan or your not, and its not a permanent setting that is either on or off.

Nailed it.
True fan = you liked D1 and D2, found D3 wanting, and are worried about the future of the franchise.

It's a pretty clear definition.
01/03/2019 10:42 AMPosted by Steve
01/03/2019 10:24 AMPosted by kikidmonkey

Does a fanatic ever find fault with what they are fanatical about

There's been entire religions formed for that very reason.
It's a garbage phrase that at least one person in particular around here has ardently clung to to often justify their juvenile attacks against people who disagree with them. To some extent, the D:I fiasco has just emboldened those of similar tendency. I'd say probably one of the most telling traits is their desire to create an experience that only few could hope to enjoy, while downplaying the competency and importance of the majority, and their own preferences, they're so quick to cannibalize.

This isn't to say negative feedback is never justified, but it's all in the delivery. Frankly, they're just a more specialized mutation of the anti-casual.