Regarding the whole "true fans" moniker.

General Discussion
01/03/2019 07:45 AMPosted by Griff
"True Fan" is something that you can't really quantify. Fanatic on the other hand is easy to put a finger on.

You can be a huge fan of the game because, like many, you enjoyed playing the game, possibly all releases of the game, yet wish there was more. Accepting the current state of the game because you still found enjoyment in playing makes you a fan.

Then, you have the fanatics. They can't be satisfied in simply expressing their opinion and discontent. They have to point out that since you don't agree with their opinion, you're obviously not a "True Fan" and your opinion surely does not count. They will explain to you about the "Golden Age" of the game and how even after playing hundreds, if not thousands of hours of Diablo 3, they never enjoyed it and were cheated out of their money that they spent on the game.

Seriously? I mean I had to stop reading when you stated there was a difference between a True Fan and a Fan-atic... you think thats a coincidence? Where do you think the word comes from?
Not working for Blizzard or for a company hired by Blizzard to say favorable comments nobody trusts.
Since Diablo 3 wasn't even a real Diablo game it means someone who played and enjoyed the first 2.
01/03/2019 08:49 AMPosted by kikidmonkey
This is how you become a TRUE FAN of something:
You enjoy it.
That's it. The end.

Ever watch the My Strange Addiction show? People are enthusiastic about everything under the sun, doesn't mean that it is worthy of that praise - they might simply have poor mental health.
01/03/2019 07:19 AMPosted by KushiSensei
I wonder - what do you think makes a person a "True fan" of Diablo?

I've seen the tag of "true fan" being thrown around willy nilly in threads and it just seems weird to me that people make that distinction.

For me personally, when I use it, I mean "A longstanding fan of Blizzard games"

I've seen the tag of "true fan" being thrown around willy nilly in threads and it just seems weird to me that people make that distinction.

Fan.

Comes from "fanatic".
Most people aren't fans of games they play.
Most people who claim to be fans are not;

You can be a fan of a game or community you've only been a part of for a short while, but people who have been fans for a decade won't believe you're a dedicated fan before you've at least explored all the content in what you claim to be a fan of.

A Game of Thrones fan would not be a Game of Thrones fan, but an Song of Ice and Fire fan.

A Diablo fan will at the very least have had to play Diablo 1 and 2 -- the origin of the series, for extended periods of time.

You can split up fanbases, but Diablo fans pretty explicitly refer to fans of the series -- which does not include fans of only Diablo 3, even though those also exist, separately.

Like Tolkien fans who've only watched the movies.
I wonder what kind of person deliberately call themselves a fanatic, zealously proclaiming it to be a merit on their part.
Only true fans play hardcore. I saw it on the forums a while back.
01/03/2019 05:35 PMPosted by Frostraven
A Diablo fan will at the very least have had to play Diablo 1 and 2 -- the origin of the series, for extended periods of time.

Diablo 1 came out over 21 years ago in 1997. You're basically saying to be a Diablo fan you need to be old or into retro games.
01/03/2019 01:04 PMPosted by Saidosha
This isn't to say negative feedback is never justified, but it's all in the delivery. Frankly, they're just a more specialized mutation of the anti-casual.

Or just don't like the changes that Jay Wilson did.

I honestly don't like to play on melee, by this reason i will probably not gonna like Sekiro despite liked Dark Souls, this have nothing to do with "anti casual"(both games are not for ""casuals") and even DS can be improved. If there are a way to put sorceries/miracles/pyromancies into an action bar and aim the spell instead of a lockon system, the game will be much better IMO. But FromSoftware launched a new title, they din't launched D4 and said "now you can't choose the main character"

At the same way, we don't like mmo mechanics into a arpg who never had it. D1 is probably the most 90's mainstream RPG. I while child managed to beat D1 in less than a week. Other 90's RPG's such as M&M VI-VIII, i only managed to complete as an adult. This is not "casual hate", is just that this mmo mechanics(cooldown, stat liked towards gear, everything %WD, everyone at levelcap, etc) doesn't belong to a aRPG franchise. This mechanics should stay on the games that people like it.

01/03/2019 05:49 PMPosted by Jinx
Diablo 1 came out over 21 years ago in 1997. You're basically saying to be a Diablo fan you need to be old or into retro games.

[/quote]

I an 27 years old and played D1 as a child. Did a D1 run on last year.
01/03/2019 05:49 PMPosted by Jinx

Correct. You need to be old or be into retro games. Now why is that so hard for some people to come to grips with? Being a true Diablo fan is just like being a true Warcraft fan you better have played the original Orcs and Humans. When I played Witcher 3 and loved it you know what I did? I went out and grabbed Witcher 1 and 2 even though they were "old games"! I greatly enjoyed both of em btw.
True fans have phones.

Fan.

Comes from "fanatic".
Most people aren't fans of games they play.
Most people who claim to be fans are not;

You can be a fan of a game or community you've only been a part of for a short while, but people who have been fans for a decade won't believe you're a dedicated fan before you've at least explored all the content in what you claim to be a fan of.

A Game of Thrones fan would not be a Game of Thrones fan, but an Song of Ice and Fire fan.

You can split up fanbases, but Diablo fans pretty explicitly refer to fans of the series -- which does not include fans of only Diablo 3, even though those also exist, separately.

Like Tolkien fans who've only watched the movies.

I don't think this holds true, think about it, if you absolutely love final fantasy from 6 and up, does it matter if you haven't played 5 and down? Of all the quadrillion Zelda games, which one is the best? When I was young I played Warcraft 2, when I got older it was hard to get it to work on newer computers, do you think any young blood would be interested in that game at all if they got into WoW?

You can technically turn your statement around, saying that a true fan needs to have played atleast every game and enjoyed it, not just cherry picked the ones they liked.

Tbh, the word "true fan" is not optimal to say, since the definition of what a fan is is pretty broad. The more passionate some people get over a game, that definition changes.

If anything, a fan would be someone who enjoyed the game, or the world of something.
"True Fan" is just an example of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

I'm looking forward to the posts in 1-2 years time that claim you can't be a Diablo fan without exploring all the content in Diablo: Immortal.
True fans have phones.
I got a job as a wind turbine designer and had different sizes produced.
On the design for the largest one I added the text...
"I'm your biggest fan!"
It makes more sense to ask if you're a 'True fan of Blizzard', instead of if you're 'True fan of Diablo'. You wonder why?
If I am a fan of a sports team, it means I like/follow them.

It doesn't mean I know their entire history, or every stat for every player. It doesn't mean I liked all their teams/players.

Same applies here.
If you have to ask, you'll never know.