Diablo PR's Missteps and D4

General Discussion
I wonder if Blizzard has really considered their ongoing pattern of PR shortcomings relative to the Diablo franchise. From a business point of view, I realize that D3/RoS is an old game, but I would think that they would want to have as much possible positive engagement as they work on their “multiple projects”. I would like to see a high quality D4 that is both a critical and commercial success; however, I suspect that Blizzard’s missteps will negatively impact the reception of D4.

1. Underwhelming communication overall and in particular on its own forum

2. Underwhelming response to ban botters/other cheaters

3. Diablo Switch Tweet Feb. 27, 2018

and “denial” follow-up and then announcement of Diablo 3 on Switch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQ6e3XWv0I)

4.Brandy’s Future of Diablo Video Aug. 8, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVaqS_bd-8

5. Brandy’s Patience BlogPost
(https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22549433/diablo-at-blizzcon-2018-10-17-2018)

6. Blizzcon 2018/D:I (self-explanatory)

7. Quick Word/We hear you Nov. 7, 2018 (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769689106#post-1)

8. Quick Word/Rehash Post/Next year Nov. 29, 2018 (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769689106?page=180#post-3595)

9. Delaying Season 15 end/Season 16 start (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20770676889))

10. Non-season getting the short-end of the stick (https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22753282/patch-264-ptr-preview-11-19-2018)

11. Contest to win a Nintendo Switch with Diablo whose entrance requires a photo of playing Diablo on Nintendo Switch.
For the #1 : They seem to want to avoid anymore scandal by focusing on actions rather than words
For the #2 : Cheaters are inevitable... the only time you'll find a game without cheaters is if the game is really bad or if you have a built-in bot

Yes, it is very possible that even if D4 is amazing that people will criticize it, because they don't like the company anymore. Much like Apple when it peaked and people either loved them or absolutely hated them. Apple took many frustrating decisions and some didn't make any sense, but they still manage to stay relevant, despite declining iPhone sales.
12/08/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Imperius
or the #1 : They seem to want to avoid anymore scandal by focusing on actions rather than words
For the #2 : Cheaters are inevitable... the only you'll find a game without cheaters is if the game is really bad or if you have a built-in bot

For #1 they have acknowledged their shortcomings In the communication department. The latest we want to show you and not tell you seems to be a stalling tactic. You could look at how Elder Scrolls Blades and Elder Scrolls 6 were announced.

For #2, cheaters are inevitable; however, Blizzard can determine how much emphasis to put on anti-bot measures/frequency of ban waves.

The Diablo franchise is only one part of a larger ATVI picture, but it does say something overall about how in tune they are with the players. Atari was once the dominant video game company in the US. Things change...
For the #1 : They seem to want to avoid anymore scandal by focusing on actions rather than words

That means changing nothing and hoping something will change. That's the definition of... oh wait... I forgot...

the only you'll find a game without cheaters is if the game is really bad

Doesn't matter if game is bad or not; if it has an underground market, botters will be there. If it has a bad multiplayer experience that promotes time sinks and unenjoyable chores with deadends; botters will be there as well. Look at game's shortcomings and underlying reasons before blaming everyone else.

Much like Apple when it peaked and people either loved them or absolutely hated them.

Apple sell their brand and packaging as well as the device itself. Minimalists love it, realists hate it. When you own a car or a phone there's a feeling of ownership that ties you to it, as well it serving its purpose well.
That's far far away from Acti-Blizz, who are expected to sell digital goods and keep all the rights of changing their IPs hidden.

When you own a car, you own it; you don't expect updates to it because it runs outta gas often. When you drive your car, you serve for the next step, fulfill a purpose. When you don't look, your car or phone will be still there for you. A video game doesn't exist without you paying attention to it. That's why games need their fanbase and developers have to take them serious instead of doing instant tail shifts without doing proper research.

We use games as a point of escape, not to do digital chores. Playing a game is a process teaches you how to manage yourself on micro level. Your reflexes, hormone twists, all acclaimed to give you the gaming experience. Game shouldn't be condoned as the final result of your efforts in real life. It's temporary as it's imaginative but there's still a bond that you can not deny. You like a game, but you know it's superficial and you own nothing on it.

Digital stuff happened behind a monitor can not be compared to real life possessions that accepted as "social norms". Norms and standards give you a boost up in social life or connect you with others in one way or another. Compared to a good game experience, real life possessions are rather simpler; accepted by communities everywhere and doesn't require to twist your brain left and right to be perceived as good products.

You're comparing "Apple"s to oranges if you catch my drift; two companies are not even similar in the slightest. Apple has a widebroad audience to sell a socially accepted norm; a device. Another day they will sell you a brand new electric car and you will buy it. Same Apple also sold us desktop computers; technological industry changes the world, digital games don't.

Videogames are individually unique products on their own, depending on their fanbase to thrive. Games have a saturated market on many other platforms. Same thing doesn't apply for ware, engine or device distributors. Just as having a dishwasher won't prevent you from watching TV; but playing a game will prevent you from paying attention to other, because experience is pretty similar.

That should've been obvious to you by now after all these years playing games. You should've gain consciousness to depict differences between real life and a stupid game. So, creating design of physical products by a brand and creating a immersive gaming experiences through a monitor are different things.
Do not compare game fans with Apple buyers, as they still get angry but still pay for the brand because they see no other reasonable option out there. Diablo has no widely-accepted "brand" on its own that spread through generations. Diablo has a small cult of fan base following it and we have many, MANY other options out there. This is actually scary, right?

Showing different phases of emotion for something you love and care about is normal, but there's also a thin line between your imagination and real life.
Either you got paid to white knight this game, or your love is superficial because you're unable to feel different emotions for a thing you love. That prevents you from being objective and you think so highly of an oversaturated game market, comparing it social norms. The reason is beyond me.

Yes, it is very possible that even if D4 is amazing that people will criticize it, because they don't like the company anymore.

Ain't gonna deny it. Yet I still suggest you to visit online critics ever so often and look at other aRPG titles released by other companies.
What can they do to outplay them at the oncoming years? There will be new aRPG titles soaring the market by then, until a new Diablo game to be released. Diablo franchise will follow their footsteps, they fell backwards on the race.

Will they have courage to move forward? Will they dare to look up to the previous installments and how other titles did it? Or as I anticipate they follow a totally backwards design like they did with D3 to evade any confrontation?
Their PR shortcomings are a natural result of them wanting to sell us PR at blizzconn.. If they weren't trying to sell PR, they would simply tell us what's going on, but since they need to sell us some incremental stuff next year and thereafter....
12/08/2018 10:01 AMPosted by MicroRNA
1. Underwhelming communication overall and in particular on its own forum

This has been beyond dreadful over the last few years, but it was nice to see Tyvalir throw 2, yes 2 posts out in the same day on the actual D3 forums answering a question in each thread and added a little friendly chat. I was shocked and refreshed to actually see this. I know they can't come out and say what the super top secret mysterious "multiple projects" are, but they only way they are going to have a chance to start mending the enormous damage that has done with the community is to start small with communication like this.

Hopefully they will continue to open up the dialogue and this wasn't a one time thing.
https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/09/bethesda-and-blizzard-should-learn-from-how-square-enix-fixed-its-final-fantasy-xiv-problem/

This is an interesting read about how to fix PR fiascos in the video game industry.
12/09/2018 04:21 PMPosted by MicroRNA
https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/09/bethesda-and-blizzard-should-learn-from-how-square-enix-fixed-its-final-fantasy-xiv-problem/

This is an interesting read about how to fix PR fiascos in the video game industry.

I remember reading this before. I agree it’s a good read.