Manald Heal

Wizard
Manald Heal

In the past, before manald heal was nurfed, archon with manald heal was the one of the most fun, coolest builds to play. When aiming at a monster, it was hitting the monster every time.

After the nurf of manald heal, aiming at the monster would leave to 25% less hits. It felt like an "empty gun" and really subtracted from the joy of the gameplay with archon. It was one of the worst changes I've seen with diablo, and something I think about every time I play D3.

I wrote about this a few years ago to blizzard. The counterargument from blizzard at that time was that the wizard was able to utilize both tal ralsha and vyr equipment in a single build, something unique to any other class. Utilizing two different sets made the wizard more powerful than other classes. This argument, however, no longer holds water as each build, except manald heal, as been buffed.

For enjoyment purposes, can you please consider changing the manald heal to its former glory. Thank you
The patch notes (from 2.5.0) were very misleading on that one.
The number of procs generated by channeled skills while using this item has been reduced by 25%

The actual change to MH was that the window of time for MH to proc within was reduced by 25% (from 1.5s down to 1.125s if I remember). So what really changed is the length of time you're able to proc MH within.

Your chance to proc Paralysis (and open an MH proc window) remained unchanged. It's been the same this whole time.

Are you sure you're slotting enough attack speed in your builds?

It's not a hard rule, but are you sure you're not introducing more than one source of paralysis stun in your build (such as was with Lightning Hydra and Disintegration Wave)? As these can override and conflict with one another..
Excellent description of the proc time. I never quite understood that. This also makes sense as why aiming at a monsters sometimes feels a the "empty gun", as we have to wait for the proc to hit.

My attack speed is maxed out and i made sure i'm not utilizing any other lightning skill that would proc paralysis.

Please, oh pretty please, increase the proc time. Thank you!!
Or I should say increase the amount of procs during the allotted time :)
It's always going to be a good choice for mid GR speeds (not entirely optimal for low speeds due to proc nature), but when you really get up there it's always going to be limiting unless Vyr's and/or Manald gets a super insane modifier vs anything else because it cannot proc Area Damage. When Manald first adopted the 14,000% damage it was enormous compared to any kind of modifiers for its time, that's why it rose to top build at the time, but and especially after this coming patch it's going to be quite mediocre but again a solid choice for low-mid speeds.
Oh right, I remember this; then they severely nerfed how often Lightning Hydra could proc it as well?

Chain Lightning was nerfed hard too, iirc?

With the new 750% LoN buff I was thinking of trying a lighting generator/Manald Heal build, but I don't believe generators have enough support to be competitive?

Also, are any weapons or source even remotely competitive with Deathwish/Etched? I feel like every build you have to be channeling now to do respectable damage.
I really liked lightning archon too, i like constant teleport and blasting everything, sweeping waves over the enemies. However, tals will be doing 4x more damage with the changes. Initially when i read your post i thought, yeah sure, if they reverted those changes they'd basically just make the old build viable for the same grs as before, hardly overpowered by todays standard. But, if that build did 4x more damage with the tal changes than it did back in the day, where would that place it I wonder?

Would it then be possible that wizards where also rgk in 4man? Is that why they wouldn't allow it?

Sounds awesome though, id be so down with that change.
I spent an entire topic some days back trying to minmax an RGK build:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769976805

Unfortunately the end result is that we're not viable. The only reason Hydra was even used that much back when it was dominant, as someone reminded me, is because of a bug that let people teleport out of the grift, get like hundreds of archon stacks in a normal cow level, and come back and just annihilate the RG. Otherwise it was just far too inconsistent.
No, hydra did !@#$ loads of damage, it was not only used because of a bug.
12/20/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Legendairy

Ya but it's peanuts dmg now and it barely procs MH, iirc?

It didn't do enough damage vs Impale DH to make up for its inconsistency, though, without the bug. I've actually used the build and it was horribly inconsistent. Sometimes the RG died in seconds, sometimes the RG was standing after like 3-4 cycles because MH just wouldn't proc. Groups were already fishing for rifts, so having extra RNG with wizard on top of it was simply not worth it, vs DH's consistency. Not without the bug anyway.
12/20/2018 12:05 PMPosted by StoleOwnCar

It didn't do enough damage vs Impale DH to make up for its inconsistency, though, without the bug. I've actually used the build and it was horribly inconsistent. Sometimes the RG died in seconds, sometimes the RG was standing after like 3-4 cycles because MH just wouldn't proc. Groups were already fishing for rifts, so having extra RNG with wizard on top of it was simply not worth it, vs DH's consistency. Not without the bug anyway.

You were doing something really wrong then man, it was very reliable to get the damage proc. The twin hydras made it virtually certain. It sounds like youre not talking about season 10 like we are

Ya but it's peanuts dmg now and it barely procs MH, iirc?

Right now? yeah its terrible. But perhaps not if reverted because you'd get whatever damage it does now x(a lot with many more procs and increased duration)x4(tals buff).

I guess what im saying boils down to this: the damage lost as a result of changes post season 10 was so massive that it made it completely not viable. It didnt just weaken the build, it stuffed it entirely. So, compared to now it is difficult to say what multiplier would be appropriate to bring it back to what it was, and thus any damage calculations cant really be done without going deep down the rabbit hole.

Quite possibly it would still be bad by meta standards in which case, they should revert the changes imo so that its more viable than it is now for fun/grinding, as it wouldnt break the game to do so
12/20/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Legendairy
You were doing something really wrong then man, it was very reliable to get the damage proc. The twin hydras made it virtually certain. It sounds like youre not talking about season 10 like we are

I'm telling you I've actually played it on reasonably high GRs, in a full party, and as you can see in my profile (though the rest of it is just mule gear at the moment), with a primal Starfire. I had nearly perfect gloves with IAS/CHD/CHC/CDR, and a great cooldown amulet. Sometimes I would simply transform with the hydras out and manald heal would not proc.

Also please stop making baseless assumptions because I have at least ranked with the Talvyr build when playing, both on seasons and off seasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x3wFewiG4E
I also have higher clears than this on 2p, though I did not record those.

So I knew what I was doing. Yes I realize that it uses 2 Hydras instead of the archon beam to do damage. Didn't matter.
The two hydras does matter, a lot I honestly thought, but my memory is very fuzzy. It was a long time ago. Rank 80 isnt high sorry man, no flame, that doesn't prove authority if that is what you were hoping to do.

I must say tho, watching your video reminds me how fun it was
The two hydras does matter, a lot. Rank 80 isnt high sorry man, no flame

Again wtf is your point?
1. I told you I had two Hydras out.
2. I was mainly linking this to you to show that I knew damn well how the build worked. Rank 80 is still in the top 100. In a grift where I finished on floor 8.

Screw it I'm done with this crap. Have fun talking about your OP as hell hydras. Ignore list.
Hahaha triggered. Perhaps i should work on my people skills lol, i didnt mean to upset him