Wiz doing little damage

Wizard
I was playing in a 4 man with a P3000+ wiz, Firebird build, Deathwish etc, with 4M sheet DPS, at GR85. I figured he'd just one shot everything and we'd get a free ride, but it took forever to complete the rift, he seemed to do much less damage than I'd anticipated. I'm wondering if it was a bot. Any ideas?
Oh, and primal sword, 120 caldesans.
Probably, but impossible to tell for sure unless we could see them play.
I never manage to pull off Firebird quite well... so.. make of what I think what you will...
However, Firebird is finicky to play.
You don't do much damage unless there is an elite burning, the problem is, if you are strong, Elite might insta die but mob might be hard to kill....
And if you kill burning mob you are also crippling his performance...
he should have been one shotting everything he dumps a meteor on. Its been a while, but id say with that gear id imagine hed one shot outside of arcane cycle also.
If hes struggling as Lloyd said, he may have had the issue that he couldnt get an elite burning to follow him around. This issue would be magnified if hes using the 2 burn solo build.

Or hes just terrible. Cant really tell without seeing what hes doing.
12/26/2018 03:41 PMPosted by Legendairy
he should have been one shotting everything he dumps a meteor on. Its been a while, but id say with that gear id imagine hed one shot outside of arcane cycle also.
If hes struggling as Lloyd said, he may have had the issue that he couldnt get an elite burning to follow him around. This issue would be magnified if hes using the 2 burn solo build.

Or hes just terrible. Cant really tell without seeing what hes doing.
As Lloyd mentioned, if he does too much damage, he can't keep an elite ignited for long enough to take advantage of the full firebirds set, which I didn't think of before. That's a huge damage decrease for Firebirds.
I know, Yeah i wasn't disagreeing with him. That said that guy should have been able to avoid killing elites unless its actually dying to the dot. If they are dying to the burn effect, then its kinda gg.

If running the triple burn build it shouldn't be too much of a problem, just re-ignite the new elites at each group.

When i carried people i found it best to use my solo set, halo of arlyse is important when theres no monk from my experience. He might have been struggling because he was trying to run it with karini and as a result he might not have been able to pack things together around him well. Thats my guess atleast. Again, we cant really know without seeing. All I can say is there are issues with firebirds for that sort of thing, and its very slow compared to the other top tier setups from other classes or even the other wizard options.
Thanks for all your input.
In such a configuration, he prolly should go with meteor shower instead of star pact and run from a leets pack to the other one. This should be very fast then.
Firebird isn't necessarily the best for group play unless your group wants someone to warp ahead and snipe all the leets.

The key to firebird is only stopping for leets and massive hoards of mobs. I love soloing with it. What I'll do is warp around attempting to ignite most enemies I see, then once you get into a rhythm, you're just teleporting from one leet to the next, with a meteor shower igniting everything in between. And any time your flowing through areas with lots of mobs, you should have enough things ignited that your damage is mostly annihilating the trash.

But when I am in a group, I usually try to warp ahead of everyone and take out leets and big clumps of trash. Alternatively I can give up illusionist for galvanizing ward, use karini and ashnagarr's blood bracers... then just stand in the back and fireball... you'll still melt leets pretty damn fast, but you're not going to be as effective against the trash as you could be playing with illusionist and arlyse and running ahead like I think would work best using this build. Or go with a tal rash build instead.
2 main factors to consider.

Is he Meteor Shower or Star Pact?

Meteor Shower:
Needs elites to proc ignite. If the support is stopping at trash then Wiz might just stay there with his support and do low dmg since ignite won't proc for a bit. Support needs to know what type of Wiz he's rolling with and hunt for elites if the Wiz is Meteor Shower.

Star Pact:
Requires density to increase Star Pact damage. If nobody is pulling density for the Wiz and he's stuck with just an elite group his damage will be a lot lower than with a bunch of trash around the elites. Support needs to do one of two things. Drag elites to trash or pull more trash to elites (set markers).

Another thing to consider is it's quite possible he might be testing something. I often do that myself and find out my "new" build is trash and have to revert back to something else.