Computers really are dying.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
01/04/2019 11:35 AMPosted by Imperius
Kids these days are not the target audience for PC games, like it or not they prefer consoles and mobile devices

Tons of my friends who play wow are between 18-25. There's still a huge young audience who play PC games. The -only- reason mobile games even turn such a high profit is they are accessible. It has nothing to do with them being quality games. They sink time during lulls in your day. Most of them lack complexity and depth.

People still go to game shops and play board games. There are four shops near me that operate, quite successfully, on that premise. People still buy records, people still play card-games.

PC is still the best platform for creating content, including websites, games, apps, you name it. I honestly don't see that changing anytime soon. Less than half of all PC users even play games. They use them for more practical reasons. The amount if iMac sells proves that. Nobody buys those things for gaming. Yet they sell like hot cakes.

PC is not going anywhere.
01/04/2019 11:44 AMPosted by Imperius
https://www.mobvista.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2012-2021-global-games-market-800x495.png

What is it with you and linking 2-10 year projections that consistently hold 0 integrity.
https://www.mobvista.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2012-2021-global-games-market-800x495.png

Confirmation bias. Doing a search, finding the first article that agrees with you, and presenting it as truth. Jackpot.
Every single website you could find that talks about the portion of gamers on PC vs mobile will have the same conclusion... the market is increasingly bigger on the mobile side of things and the PC market is shrinking...

It's not dead, but it lost the war against console gaming and now both consoles and PC are losing the war against mobile gaming. The mobile market is just overwhelmingly huge.
01/04/2019 11:53 AMPosted by Imperius
Every single website you could find that talks about the portion of gamers on PC vs mobile will have the same conclusion... the market is increasingly bigger on the mobile side of things and the PC market is shrinking...

Gonna need a stat chart on that big broy
It's not dead, but it lost the war against console gaming and now both consoles and PC are losing the war against mobile gaming. The mobile market is just overwhelmingly huge.

Curious as to where you got these statistics? Or is it just your opinion because of what you read on forums. I am not being snarky, if you do read it a lot it's going to persuade you to that conclusion.
01/04/2019 12:07 PMPosted by Dusky

Curious as to where you got these statistics? Or is it just your opinion because of what you read on forums. I am not being snarky, if you do read it a lot it's going to persuade you to that conclusion.

https://www.statista.com/chart/13789/worldwide-video-game-revenue-forecast/

Statista pulls data from tens of thousands of sources and compiles them to make some of the most accurate charts.
PC gaming did get record sales in 2018, but its market share is shrinking fast... In 2016 it was the first time mobile gaming became more profitable than PC gaming and since then the mobile gaming market soared big time. India and China are becoming richer by the day and a big portion of their population can now afford quality phones and high speed internet.
There are so many games that would not be able to be played on a phone. Right now it's big but the titles that are being played are crap.
Name the best games on a phone right now?

Oh I have to say this! I got a brand new phone for Christmas so , yes I do have a phone. One that will handle Immortal!

How far you progress in Diablo Immortal is = or > to the amount dietary fiber in your diet. If you want to play longer I suggest less water, more alcohol, more dairy and red meat.
01/04/2019 12:18 PMPosted by Imperius
01/04/2019 12:07 PMPosted by Dusky

https://www.statista.com/chart/13789/worldwide-video-game-revenue-forecast/

Statista pulls data from tens of thousands of sources and compiles them to make some of the most accurate charts.
PC gaming did get record sales in 2018, but its market share is shrinking fast... In 2016 it was the first time mobile gaming became more profitable than PC gaming and since then the mobile gaming market soared big time. India and China are becoming richer by the day and a big portion of their population can now afford quality phones and high speed internet.

The reason being is accessibility, and most game on phones are Pay to win.
It still makes me sad. Older folks on PC have to get their kids more addicted to a PC as opposed to a phone.

I love my new phone, take good video great pics fast as hell, get my banking done, play clash of clans (PTW). I should invest in one of those chargers that can charge you phone like 15 times over so I can play hearthstone on lunch or break at work.
01/04/2019 12:19 PMPosted by Dusky
There are so many games that would not be able to be played on a phone. Right now it's big but the titles that are being played are crap.

Oh I have to say this! I got a brand new phone for Christmas so , yes I do have a phone. One that will handle Immortal!

How far you progress in Diablo Immortal is = or > to the amount dietary fiber in your diet. If you want to play longer I suggest less water, more alcohol, more dairy and red meat.

No question that PC and console games have more depth and are of better quality, but the target audience is not the same. Take a quick look at the minimum age required to play mobile games and you'll see that the vast majority of those game are either for everyone or for 9+yo kids.

Perhaps the most surprising fact about mobile gaming is that the US is the leader when it comes to the time spent on mobile games.
The funniest thing is often when I debate people call into question the reliability of my sources when I usually try to find the most reputable websites and in the same breath they link me to some youtuber who has an opinion about a news article they are reading as they are recording...................................
Revenues aside, PC > Console > Mobile.

Most games who are made with consoles in mind tends to be dumbed down like Skyrim/Oblivion compared to Morrowind/Daggerfall. And most mobile games tends to be dumbed down as possible.

How someone can aim with a controller or worst, with a touchpad??
01/04/2019 12:28 PMPosted by Imperius
01/04/2019 12:19 PMPosted by Dusky

No question that PC and console games have more depth and are of better quality, but the target audience is not the same. Take a quick look at the minimum age required to play mobile games and you'll see that the vast majority of those game are either for everyone or for 9+yo kids.

Perhaps the most surprising fact about mobile gaming is that the US is the leader when it comes to the time spent on mobile games.

Oh I don't disagree with you, I just don't think PC's will be pushed out for the reasons we agree on. Quality of gaming, also people will not be doing auto-cad and using Photoshop on a phone anytime soon. The only thing s I see happening with PC's is they might get cheaper, smaller, and more powerful. Not smart phone smaller. GPU's themselves are still massive.

I was also thinking people with phone can probably Bluetooth their game on their TV's

Add the capability of blue toothing your keyboard and mouse to your phone, that might appeal to more PC gamers. If the PC does become obsolete, that means there would have to be a huge development in mobile phones and gaming. I will also be dead before that happens lol

You get to heaven only to hear God say:" What the hell, oops I mean heck, is a PC, they have been extinct in heaven for years , DON'T YOU HAVE A PHONE?!!"
01/04/2019 12:42 PMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
Revenues aside, PC > Console > Mobile.

Most games who are made with consoles in mind tends to be dumbed down like Skyrim/Oblivion compared to Morrowind/Daggerfall. And most mobile games tends to be dumbed down as possible.

How someone can aim with a controller or worst, with a touchpad??

True, but all that could change as the technology improves and premium accessories are made. A good example would be the gamesir g5 mobile controller that is superior to a console controller (if you take the time to set it up for each and every game you play, but that could change if such controllers become the norm). With a controller like that you can have a firm grip on your device and you can aim better (and your fingers don't cover parts of the screen)
01/04/2019 09:49 AMPosted by Chipoodle
As a programmer i laught at you and your sister if you think computers are dying. where do you think all the software you use (even mobile applications) are made ? The tools for developing are loaded into a computer and keboard and mouse are irremplazable for programming. This is a fact.

Developers may use computers from now until doomsday, but Imperius and Buckles are probably right. As attached to my expensive gaming machine as I am, I also have a smart phone and a tablet. I love the mobility of the tablet and often use it to occupy myself when I have to sit and wait awhile for something when before I had nothing to do but stare at the walls. It may be some time before tablets can really compete with computers, but it will happen. Just look at the history........
First we had desktops. Then we got laptops. Then came powerful gaming desktops. Then, powerful laptops as desktop replacements. Then powerful dedicated gaming laptops......ever smaller and ever more powerful. As technology and efficiency advances, the platforms become smaller and more capable.
Our society, as it stands now reminds me of the humorous definition of air travel: "Seeing less and less of more and more, faster and faster". I will always be a hard core PC gamer, but the future is mobile like it or not.

Let the downvotes begin!
Keyboard and Mouse game play will always be superior to touch screen or controller. The level of snap/speed control is unmatched. As long as that is true, PC gaming will never be replaced and always be superior.

Console gaming feels *really* bad control-wise in comparison. Mobile gaming feels even worse than console.

Accessibility and affordable are the only reason console and mobile even have market share at all. Neither of those = quality experience.

I don't see this a PC market dying but the emergence of a new market that has brought in a lot of new consumers to the industry. New markets appear to grow quickly when compared to their older peers.

Mobile is here to stay but is still a long way off of being able to provide the best experience and there will always be a demand for gaming at the highest levels.
Where is the news about all of the charge backs that mobile developers get due to kids spending their parents money, hackers, etc. Refunds galore in mobile markets and that is not cheap. Not to mention the OP's example was a very young child. I mean when I took an interest in computers I was 8-10 years old. These kids start off with tablets before they even get to kindergarten these days. Of course they are going to be more proficient using something they have had in their hands for years instead of something brand new to them.

The mobile games market is mainly children and middle-aged women without work, who's paying for "gems" and cosmetics inside "games" -- not gamers.

The most popular games are:
Words with Friends
Candy Crush Saga
Solitaire
Angry Birds

The average game session is no more than 4-5 minutes.

Mobile games are like fast food -- and proper game companies that throw themselves over the trend are on a race toward the bottom.
01/04/2019 01:33 PMPosted by Frostraven

The mobile games market is mainly children and middle-aged women without work, who's paying for "gems" and cosmetics inside "games" -- not gamers.

The most popular games are:
Words with Friends
Candy Crush Saga
Solitaire
Angry Birds

The average game session is no more than 4-5 minutes.

Mobile games are like fast food -- and proper game companies that throw themselves over the trend are on a race toward the bottom.

Now that's a list of top tier gaming titles.
Throwin' triple word scores down on these nerds.
Speed running solitaire, phew what a rush.