Is D3's story good?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I don't mean compared to the story of 1 or 2, I mean if a similar story of similar quality were released outside of the Diablo franchise, would you like it? Would you feel that it was above average, average, below average, awesome, complete crap, or what?

I'll withhold my opinion on it for now.
In my opinion D3's "story" is terrible. Written by a 3-year old.

Don't get me wrong, I think it cost them quite a bit to do the cinematics, pay the poorly chosen voice-actors etc. It's just that for that money they could have done way higher quality story telling and execution.

D3's story and voice acting is "disney style", rather than "Diablo style", hence why it blows IMO.

In D3 vanilla, to make matters worse, you could not skip cinematics and countless interruptions during gameplay were the norm, in order to listen to retarded "Best Generals of All Time" aka Azmodan and other ridiculous Bosses.

IMO D3's "Nefolem" story where we are superheroes more powerful than angels, demons and diablo himself (or should i say her-self) is just pathetic. The whole forced angels and demons topic was blown way out of proportion, and then topped off with us, the supposedly mortal heroes, being superheroes instead. Just pathetic.

This is how you choose voice-actors for your game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eva9TnRT87o

Max von Sydow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTLmojoWw4

The idea of hearing the voice of Christopher Plummer and Max von Sydow in Diablo 4 gives me a nerdgasm.
Yeah, I heard there is a "story" but I have not seen it.

There is a campaign, which make you walks through the various location, but the story, meh...

The only "story points" which sticks through my memory are:
- why do we kill again this Zoltan Kulle again? This is the only true and powerful ally of the Nephalem in the whole campaign! Morons! And we should have heeded his warming about Adria. I mean, come on, it was obvious!!
- the Jeweller quest was kind of fun
- nice cinematographics hey!

as for the rest? walk the map, kills the monsters, go to next map!
The general story arc is OKish but the delivery is hideously bad. The dialogue is cringeworthy, the quality of voice acting is all over the place, etc. The worst thing is propably the demon lords acting like Saturday morning cartoon villains.
The story is not finished and at the this point never will be, They built Leah up and ripped her down, All that background, hopes and dreams and then there's Lyndon's story. Really sad. But hey that's what happens when blizzard suits have no back bone and listen to the 0.5% crying.
Can you seriously consider the story of Matrix reloaded and Revolution, without considering the story of the first release...
"Deckard Cain! I've come to save you!"

"Get back!"

But seriously, some of the dialogue in path of exile had far more disturbing and darkness to them compared to d3. D2 was pretty dark too.

They had a chance to build it up in d3 like how Tyrael caused the dead to rise.
They !@#$ed up Diablo's lore pretty hard with D3. It's bad.

Wish they would declare it non canon but with D:I coming it's way too late since it's lore will be canon..
12/05/2018 02:47 AMPosted by Alexchaos
They !@#$ed up Diablo's lore pretty hard with D3. It's bad.

Wish they would declare it non canon but with D:I coming it's way too late since it's lore will be canon..

No, they played it safe by positioning Immortal between d2 and d3. It virtually won't impact diablo 4's lore. My 2 cents.
12/05/2018 02:12 AMPosted by Kirottu
The general story arc is OKish but the delivery is hideously bad. The dialogue is cringeworthy, the quality of voice acting is all over the place, etc. The worst thing is propably the demon lords acting like Saturday morning cartoon villains.

This is the best way to put it, but the story itself is pretty awful too.

First person that can give me one good reason Tyrael ripped his wings off in the first place rather than just, you know, leaving and helping us as his badass angelic self wins a prize!!!
The story is horrible.

Azmodan, for example, is supposedly the greatest general of Hell and a master strategist. His strategy of telling you exactly what he is going to do and how you cannot stop him makes my head spin. Even my 3 year old comes up with better strategies.
12/05/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Systemworks
The story is horrible.

Azmodan, for example, is supposedly the greatest general of Hell and a master strategist. His strategy of telling you exactly what he is going to do and how you cannot stop him makes my head spin. Even my 3 year old comes up with better strategies.

Don’t forget the LORD OF LIES being such a transparently horrible liar that even affable dope Kormac immediately points out the holes in his story.

That’s the whole design of D3. You are savvier than the greatest tactician in hell, you are smarter than the greatest liar in hell, you are scarier than the Lord of Terror himself. You are god, the end.

It’s garbage. It could not feel more tonally different than D1 and D2.
I didn't find the story so fascinating in the end, but the production of the cutscenes are very resourceful and they might keep you interested until the magic from the previous lore falls off. Definitely worth it if you are a fan.
12/05/2018 01:50 AMPosted by Aguy
I don't mean compared to the story of 1 or 2, I mean if a similar story of similar quality were released outside of the Diablo franchise, would you like it? Would you feel that it was above average, average, below average, awesome, complete crap, or what?

I'll withhold my opinion on it for now.

Diablo 1 and 2 were themed in a mature, gothic, medieval, biblical, horror world. Diablo 3 is themed in a epic, fantasy, disney-esque, bleached world.
Spoiler : In the end, Diablo is a girl with boobs.

I mean, the story is thrilling and D3 is the darkest of the serie!

Not. In case it wasn't obvious enough...
12/05/2018 02:03 AMPosted by TOPCommander
In D3 vanilla, to make matters worse, you could not skip cinematics and countless interruptions during gameplay were the norm, in order to listen to retarded "Best Generals of All Time" aka Azmodan and other ridiculous Bosses.

Tell me about it. I never thought I'd get sick of hearing Claudia Black's voice. Cydea's constant VOs changed that in a hurry. :(
The lore started out somewhat decently but it never really does anything amazing. The origin story is kind of ambiguous and it feels like it should have massive scope until you get to the creation of Sanctuary, then things really focus in to a pin’s head compared to everything else and it gets stale pretty fast. The story overall feels like an house that was finished and never intended to be built on, but then they keep building on it after a few years and the base can’t support the uppr floors because of age.
It's awful, but par for the course for Blizzard.
12/05/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Systemworks
The story is horrible.

He's an overconfident evil being. Read any book watch any movie that it's the same character. It's not poor writing it's status quo writing. What he is suppose to say..you can't beat me.....silence...
TL;DR: It's bad. Just... really bad.

You can see where things could have gone right. There are interesting little threads scattered all throughout the campaign - Lyndon and Kormac had some bright moments, the player character's interactions with Zoltun Kulle, Covetous Shen, a very small handful of others -, but all this is eclipsed by the bad moments, and when they're bad, they're really, really awful. Like, immersion-breaking, pinch-the-bridge-of-your-nose-and-exhale-slowly, 'wait, is this a direct-to-video Disney sequel?' awful.

The voice acting is all over the damn place, the dialogue is ham-fisted and stilted ('I was... I am... Tyrael!'), most characters don't act like real people (or real demons, I guess?) with actual motivations/desires/wants. They're amorphous blobs that exist solely to tell the player character to move from point A to B, not because that's how the story naturally unfolds, but because without them signposting the entire thing, the whole thing would collapse under the weight of its own improbability.

Others have pointed out how mischaracterized Azmodan and Belial in particular are. They threaten you with Thing X, boast about how you'll never stop Thing X, then once you inevitably do, they just pop up and say, 'lol sike, you thought Thing X was bad? Wait until you see Thing Y!'

Azmodan: "Destroying my siege weapons makes little difference. Every hour, more of my forces pour forth from the mount of Hell. Soon, they will wipe your pathetic keep from existence!"

And this immediately after he was telling you that his siege weapons will surely finish you and your allies off for good.

There is raw potential there, buried way, way down, but unfortunately there's so much sheer and utter nonsense piled on top, I find it really difficult to see past the flaws in the story (butterflies! letting Caine be killed off-camera by said butterfly! why they did Leah dirty like that! the masterful tactics of the 'best battlefield commander in the Burning Hells'! etc.) and just enjoy it for what it is.