Is D3's story good?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Nope, not good, unless you are a teenager.
I remember liking it a lot, especially towards the end of act 3. I went through it in vanilla though and don't plan on playing the story again any time soon.
Pretty weak story. It's one of the most glaring disappointments of D3 for me. D1 and D2 story wasn't that strong either, but the way it was told was done better. Idk the words to explain it more than that right now.
The story and delivery were pretty awful. The gameplay was so good that most people didn't get put off the game because of the story, but as others mentioned the Belial & Azmodan arcs were really delivered badly, and you never really feel a sense of dread while playing.

For me, I thought the best parts of the story where the scoundrel's interactions, the Zoltun Kulle arc, and Shen. Shen is funny and the voice acting is great. The Templar is a bit too overbearing, and the enchantress, who has an ok back story, builds to an anti-climactic end that does not really satisfy.
The biggest flaw of D3 story-mode is the game doesn't seem to take itself seriously. It read and played out more like a fan-fiction. It felt like a parody; like Blizzard were mocking the series.

D1 really set the tone of what the games were supposed to feel like, the atmosphere was dark and foreboding. 'ahh, fresh meat' as the butcher chases you down relentlessly and murders you the first time. The people in town were all down trodden and talking about the destruction under the cathedral.

The entire idea of being some powerful demon-angel-spawn creature nephalem that egotistically tears through everything like butter is insulting. How are you supposed to feel the impending doom and looming threat when you're the creature that is feared? Pathetic writing.
D3 story is bad even in a vacuum. Even if we look at it from the lens of Warcraft writing it is still awful. As Diablo writing it is too atrocious to even find the proper words for, or at least words proper for this forum.

It took all the realism out of the story. The first two games had a sense of real people dealing with a depressing world and then further facing the truth that demons are real. D3 took all of that out and made it a generic superhero story.
It's a typical story for a video game, which is to say it's not very good. Most video games have trash stories, but I play games for the gameplay and not the story. As I say, if I want a good story then I'll read a book.
12/05/2018 10:09 AMPosted by traja
The first two games had a sense of real people dealing with a depressing world and then further facing the truth that demons are real.

Not really.
I liked the part where Leah keeps saying how her uncle is just a crazy old man telling stories she doesn't believe while she is fighting litteral demons from the depths of hell.
It was probably made by the worst writers on blizzard ever. And the dialogue was made by the worst in the entire industry, it is major cringe.
But nephilims super power its part of the whole lore.
Thats exactly why the eternal conflict moved to sanctuarium, they both are afraid of humanity and want them for use it as a weapon.
The first nephilim was the most powerfoul creature existing becouse he had both angels and demons powers togheter...
Mytought: D3 story is cool except the fact adria was a called enemy and i didnt liked it.
Also the leak of evilness of belial azmo diablo ...
Belial no big traps
Azmo : oh yea you are defeating me? I dont care my spider woman will kill you for sure! Where are the hordes defending him?
Diablo : slowpoke
12/05/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Agor
But nephilims super power its part of the whole lore.
Thats exactly why the eternal conflict moved to sanctuarium, they both are afraid of humanity and want them for use it as a weapon.
The first nephilim was the most powerfoul creature existing becouse he had both angels and demons powers togheter...
Mytought: D3 story is cool except the fact adria was a called enemy and i didnt liked it.
Also the leak of evilness of belial azmo diablo ...
Belial no big traps
Azmo : oh yea you are defeating me? I dont care my spider woman will kill you for sure! Where are the hordes defending him?
Diablo : slowpoke

That lore is made by activision after Diablo 2. That's why is retarded.
12/05/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Kinslayer
12/05/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Systemworks
The story is horrible.

Azmodan, for example, is supposedly the greatest general of Hell and a master strategist. His strategy of telling you exactly what he is going to do and how you cannot stop him makes my head spin. Even my 3 year old comes up with better strategies.

He's an overconfident evil being. Read any book watch any movie that it's the same character. It's not poor writing it's status quo writing. What he is suppose to say..you can't beat me.....silence...

He’s supposed to say nothing. Why would he bother? You are insignificant, a speck, one of so many ants his forces will wash over to enslave or crush in mass genocide. Do you monologue to the spider before you crush it?
To be honest, I don't remember the D3 story. I remember D2 but not D3. So, no it wasn't as remarkable to me.
Okay, I expected it to have its detractors but I didn't expect people would be saying it was THIS bad, lol...

What's my opinion of Diablo 3's story? Well, I can tell you while also responding to this quote at the same time.

12/05/2018 02:39 AMPosted by Olbat
Can you seriously consider the story of Matrix reloaded and Revolution, without considering the story of the first release...

You can't, but that was three parts of one continuous story, whereas D3 jumped forward 20 years and started a new story after the last one pretty much ended in D2. Yes, there was the whole "What's gonna happen now that there's no more Worldstone?" question, but it wasn't urgent enough to be a cliffhanger. Nothing happened to the world immediately afterward, at least as far as we could tell.

Anyway, my opinion of Reloaded was "This is cool in places, and this is BS in places. And it ended on kind of a BS note, which was bad."

My opinion of Diablo 3 is also that it's cool in places and BS in others, but they did a better job with the ending of both the vanilla game and the ending of Reaper.

I don't think it's a horrible game, or that it's a good game burdened with a horrible story. The story is...adequate.

The ending is important. You might want to tell me that it's easy to create a good ending and I shouldn't give Blizzard credit for doing so, and I would agree if I hadn't played other games that had much better writing but had endings that made me throw up my hands in disgust. KOTOR 2 without the restored content, for example. Mass Effect 3 is another obvious example; great game, great writing, and then the ending is just a big WTF. And I'm referring to both the original ending where you don't see what happens to everybody afterwards, and also the ending where they added narration and scenes where you do get a look at the results of your choice.

This is not to say that Azmodan's strategic prowess is anything more than an informed ability, or that Belial was any good at deceiving us, or any of that.

As for something that bugs me which I haven't seen anywhere else so far: the whole deal with Leoric. It really doesn't make much sense if you take yourself out of "Do the thing that the quest log is telling you to do" mode and think about the logic involved, or lack thereof.

LEORIC: "I'm back because Tyrael landed in New Tristram--which was pretty convenient, I should mention--and all the dead have risen! Because they were all upset about being treated unjustly, including me! Anyway, killing me is going to make them all lie back down again for some reason."

NEPHALEM: "Um, okay, I guess I gotta kill Leoric."

CAIN: "You need to get his crown and put it on his corpse if you want to kill him."

NEPHALEM: "What? Why? We just SAW him."

CAIN: "That was his incorporeal form or something, and putting his crown on his dead head will pull him into the body so you can kill him. Or something like that."

NEPHALEM: "WHY? It's just his stupid crown. It was this hunk of metal that he balanced on his head while he was alive. You're telling me it's magic all of a sudden?"

CAIN: "Look, I didn't come up with any of this, and I'll be killed off soon, so just turn off your brain and get the blacksmith to help you out, okay?"

NEPHALEM: "All right, whatever. It'll be a cool boss fight at least, I guess."
It won't surprise me if the preceding post gets downvoted to the Burning Hells, but do people at least think Reaper Of Souls is okay? I think Reaper of Souls is okay. I just got done talking about a part of the story that I found stupid, so I'm gonna give some praise now:

I like Malthael as a villain. He has an understandable motivation, he isn't an ineffective moron, he's got a badass presence (as opposed to, as people have mentioned, being a butterfly), and even when you get a powerup so that you're capable of hurting him he still puts up a hell of a tough fight.

Good job with Malthael, Blizzard.

12/05/2018 10:39 AMPosted by TheBentOne
I liked the part where Leah keeps saying how her uncle is just a crazy old man telling stories she doesn't believe while she is fighting litteral demons from the depths of hell.

I'm with you there. She really should have gone "OMG, Uncle Deckard was right about everything!" sooner than she did.

12/05/2018 10:09 AMPosted by traja
D3 story is bad even in a vacuum. Even if we look at it from the lens of Warcraft writing it is still awful. As Diablo writing it is too atrocious to even find the proper words for, or at least words proper for this forum.

It took all the realism out of the story. The first two games had a sense of real people dealing with a depressing world and then further facing the truth that demons are real. D3 took all of that out and made it a generic superhero story.

Okay, first of all, have you been keeping up with the WoW writing? I mean, stuff like the orcs of the Iron Horde being talked into becoming evil monsters in Warlords of Draenor, and then Gul'dan usurping the leadership position from Grommash, and then when Gul'dan and the Legion are defeated everybody forgives all the surviving orcs who were following him, and forgives Grommash despite him being plenty evil himself? No consequences for any of them, not until a number of years have passed anyway and Yrel apparently becomes a religious zealot and starts giving them a "Worship the Light or die" ultimatum?

You are telling me that D3's story is as bad as THAT? Or that it's as bad as Sylvanas becoming increasingly evil, burning down Teldrassil for ****s and giggles, and almost everybody on the Horde side just shrugging their shoulders and saying "Hey, what can we do? She's our Warchief, we have to do what she tells us." No you don't. Mak'gora, you fools. Are none of you going to step up?

I'm sorry, that's an exaggeration. And you know what else? I LIKE superhero stories. The part of it where our character is more powerful than the average human actually makes more sense to me than "You're just a regular person who maybe knows some spells and stuff, and somehow you're still able to kill all three of the Prime Evils." Even if they're not at full power, it was a bit of a stretch to imagine any normal human being would be able to kill them. And IIRC, Baal was at full power, so the idea of a paladin or whatever being able to defeat him is even more of a stretch.
Aguy, it's exactly as bad as that. Blizzard is incapable of writing good stories. Instead, they substitute a young teenager's idea of what would be "epic and badass." They suck. If you want good stories, you need to hire good writers. Blizzard has never and probably will never do this.
...You are telling me that D3's story is as bad as THAT?...

No I am saying that it is worse than that. Warcraft, despite all of its absurdity, never elevates you above all the main characters in the story. It does massage your ego but it never makes you a superhero that can end Khadgar with a mere stare. It's still terrible writing but D3 takes it a step further.
no
12/05/2018 02:30 PMPosted by KingInYellow
Aguy, it's exactly as bad as that. Blizzard is incapable of writing good stories. Instead, they substitute a young teenager's idea of what would be "epic and badass." They suck. If you want good stories, you need to hire good writers. Blizzard has never and probably will never do this.

THIS.

Diablo 3 lore is made for teenagers: Light, plain history, where de characters
are predicable, plot is simple. The writer uses the old retarded hollywood formulas to please them.

On the other hand Diablo 2's story is based on myths, legends and ancient traditions. Of course it adapts to be told as a story made for a videogame but in escence their characters are deep, the lore is similar to some classic literature, and the story unfolds as the hero develops and conquers the difficulties that arise.