Patch 2.6.4 and Season 16 January 18 2019

General Discussion
Ok if you haven't played Diablo in a while, but are waiting for something new, mark your calendar for this. It's going to be one of the biggest seasons we've had in a long time! Starting January 18th. The season theme is that everyone gets a Ring of Royal Grandeur buff without having to equip or cube the ring. But that's not the only reason this season will be big.

Basically they are bringing all the builds up to speed with the top performing specs such as Corpse Lance Necro, Condemn Crusader, and Star Pact Wizard. These builds listed have a high skill cap and learning curve and a lot of game knowledge to do well.

Guess what, most average and easy to play builds will be viable now. Even you, Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor. Get ready to push higher personal bests than you've ever seen. Ever. And that's a good feeling.

The push meta might not be changing much, but nobody knows what the new meta will be for speed runs replacing rat runs. Let's face it. I'm sick of rat runs! And I want to main literally any class that's not a Necro this season! I believe just getting together with a rag tag bunch of random classes / builds will bring in some good xp, this time around.

A little history behind this patch. We had gone into what was considered maintenance mode for a good bit, we hadn't seen any updates in a while. Then we got the Necromancer! This class was easily the best class in the game for skilled and seasoned players. The next season we had a balance patch that brought most classes closer in power to the Necromancer, and for Crusaders and Wizards, even surpassed it. But other classes were left behind as their buffs were just not enough...

This went on for a solid chunk of time, about a year. Now, finally, we are seeing the other builds brought up to speed with the top performing ones. The Ring of Royal Grandeur is going to basically give hybrid builds an extra ring such as Convention of Elements, and most other builds a free armor piece such as Cindercoat or Frostburn.

Yes, I believe this season is going to be worth investing my time in, and I hope to see you all there.
This season will be no different to any other season. All people will do is rush through levels 1-70 and farm greater rifts until the season ends. The next season will be the same.

The thought of playing Diablo 3 these days kind of feels like talking to someone who's been in a coma for several years and is never going to recover.
I'm looking forward to S16. I tried to complete the season solo HC in S15 and didn't make it, partly because of the conquests, and partly incompetance, so I'm going for it again this time, with DH and Necro (Rathma set dungeon is so easy). The conquests look much better so I'll give it a go.
01/03/2019 09:30 AMPosted by Scourge
I'm going for it again this time, with DH and Necro

If you prefer DH, I'd point out that the Natalya's set dungeon is pretty much the simplest I've ever done, i.e. if you know how to press Rain of Vengeance before it runs out for 90 seconds straight and can run in a big loop, you've got the mastery.
I'm waiting for the patch especially. First things first, I've been waiting for LoN buff almost for 3 years.

Also a few of my favourite sets are getting notable buffs: Natalya, Raekor's, Uliana.

That means I can have fun with all classes. LoN Sader, DH, Monk, Barb with said sets. LoN Necro sounds nice idea. WD and Wizard have lots of interesting possibilities to play with. LoN Electro Wiz won't be super viable but definitely fun.
01/03/2019 09:01 AMPosted by TrvAix
Ok if you haven't played Diablo in a while, but are waiting for something new, mark your calendar for this. It's going to be one of the biggest seasons we've had in a long time! Starting January 18th. The season theme is that everyone gets a Ring of Royal Grandeur buff without having to equip or cube the ring. But that's not the only reason this season will be big.

Basically they are bringing all the builds up to speed with the top performing specs such as Corpse Lance Necro, Condemn Crusader, and Star Pact Wizard. These builds listed have a high skill cap and learning curve and a lot of game knowledge to do well.

Guess what, most average and easy to play builds will be viable now. Even you, Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor. Get ready to push higher personal bests than you've ever seen. Ever. And that's a good feeling.

The push meta might not be changing much, but nobody knows what the new meta will be for speed runs replacing rat runs. Let's face it. I'm sick of rat runs! And I want to main literally any class that's not a Necro this season! I believe just getting together with a rag tag bunch of random classes / builds will bring in some good xp, this time around.

A little history behind this patch. We had gone into what was considered maintenance mode for a good bit, we hadn't seen any updates in a while. Then we got the Necromancer! This class was easily the best class in the game for skilled and seasoned players. The next season we had a balance patch that brought most classes closer in power to the Necromancer, and for Crusaders and Wizards, even surpassed it. But other classes were left behind as their buffs were just not enough...

This went on for a solid chunk of time, about a year. Now, finally, we are seeing the other builds brought up to speed with the top performing ones. The Ring of Royal Grandeur is going to basically give hybrid builds an extra ring such as Convention of Elements, and most other builds a free armor piece such as Cindercoat or Frostburn.

Yes, I believe this season is going to be worth investing my time in, and I hope to see you all there.

Guess you weren't one of the 100 that left the company, eh?
01/03/2019 09:16 AMPosted by pkmule
This season will be no different to any other season. All people will do is rush through levels 1-70 and farm greater rifts until the season ends. The next season will be the same.

The thought of playing Diablo 3 these days kind of feels like talking to someone who's been in a coma for several years and is never going to recover.

How does this defer from PoE or Grim Dawn, or any other ARPG for that matter?

You rush to the "end game" and you run the content over and over in hunt for better loot and more challenges.
01/03/2019 09:41 AMPosted by Ruined
I'm waiting for the patch especially. First things first, I've been waiting for LoN buff almost for 3 years.

Also a few of my favourite sets are getting notable buffs: Natalya, Raekor's, Uliana.

That means I can have fun with all classes. LoN Sader, DH, Monk, Barb with said sets. LoN Necro sounds nice idea. WD and Wizard have lots of interesting possibilities to play with. LoN Electro Wiz won't be super viable but definitely fun.

Ah yeah I forgot to mention LON in the first post. This is pretty big too! I think I had a LON wizard build that I used to unlock t10 pubs, years back. Can't remember the build for the life of me. I bet LON wizard could do t13 now I guess!

01/03/2019 09:47 AMPosted by Ashock
Guess you weren't one of the 100 that left the company, eh?

lol nah i just saw a few people saying stuff like, "oh i'm checking to see if we got anything new, guess i'll come back later." I wanted to share the good news of what the patch notes actually mean in context of the history of the game.
For sure LoN Wiz will do GR80 but how much more is the real question :)
01/03/2019 10:19 AMPosted by Ruined

Lon arcane meteor is going to be strong, currently run 90's without trying and that's with the 100% current bonus ^^
01/03/2019 11:12 AMPosted by NullAndVoid
01/03/2019 10:19 AMPosted by Ruined

Lon arcane meteor is going to be strong, currently run 90's without trying and that's with the 100% current bonus ^^
With 2.6.1 and 2.6.4, LoN Wizard is no more a complete joke.
My favorite build for Wizard is Archon. I just like how chill it is in t13 while I'm watching Netflix. Glad to see Vyr's got a buff as well. Although, I might have to stick to Demon Hunter, because literally every set is used next season! Shadow for RGK, UE for T13 and speed gem ups, N6M4 for solo pushing and I'll probably use it for grouping as well. I'll have a stash full of DH set gear lol!
01/03/2019 09:34 AMPosted by Meteorblade
01/03/2019 09:30 AMPosted by Scourge
I'm going for it again this time, with DH and Necro

If you prefer DH, I'd point out that the Natalya's set dungeon is pretty much the simplest I've ever done, i.e. if you know how to press Rain of Vengeance before it runs out for 90 seconds straight and can run in a big loop, you've got the mastery.

Yeah, Nat's is really easy too.
It will be especially interesting to use free RORG.

Looking forward to push and do grups with Vyr Wizzard. Pure Archon for T13 and gem farming. Reverse Archon Deathwish for pushing and RGK.

Sadly I cannot play multiple characters in a single season since don't have enough time to fully augument two characters in 2 months. But I hope I will get to single player EU leaderboards with Vyr Archon. See u there!

Do not complain about repetition in Diablo3. EVERY ARPG or MMO is all about repetition. Moreover, it is normal that you can get burned out after playing 100 or 1000 or even 10k hours the same title. Nothing lasts forever. How you can expect to get infinite value from paying 50$ for a title in 2012? Even if you would spend only 100 hours and have fun within it it would be a great investment.
01/03/2019 02:17 PMPosted by Karolek

Do not complain about repetition in Diablo3. EVERY ARPG or MMO is all about repetition. Moreover, it is normal that you can get burned out after playing 100 or 1000 or even 10k hours the same title. Nothing lasts forever. How you can expect to get infinite value from paying 50$ for a title in 2012? Even if you would spend only 100 hours and have fun within it it would be a great investment.

Exactly my thoughts on that last part, I got plenty more of what I payed for playing D3, so any change to it feels great. I really don't get why people DEMAND so many things when they payed 50 bucks for the game, and have played it for hundreds of hours. :D Diablo 3 turned out to be flawed, yes, but a great game in the end. I always come back to it.
01/03/2019 09:16 AMPosted by pkmule

I have Stockholm Syndrome, D3 can never do wrong no matter what. I'll still play D3 and love it.
When does the patch go live?
Whoa! 18th? Can't wait to play all the new content and explore ALL the changes...

Oh wait...

No content added and Punisher season 2 starts on the 18th...

Nevermind.
01/03/2019 08:53 PMPosted by Nephalem
Whoa! 18th? Can't wait to play all the new content and explore ALL the changes...

Oh wait...

No content added and Punisher season 2 starts on the 18th...

Nevermind.

this :)