Blizzard "best developers have moved to mobile"

Games & Technology
01/05/2019 09:53 PMPosted by fathom
Such a waste that D3 could've been the greatest ARPG made if the company was not so greedy and instead put their passion into making what their fans want.

they shouldnt cancel the second expansion of d3
really what i will never forgive blizzard for this abandoning of d3 and leaving hundreds thousands of players (2.7mil ros copies first week were sold) without content for... years now
and that is happening with one of the most loved pc franchaises in history of videogames
and now they are saying "we hear you"
so where is new content: classes, bosses, maps, items, sets, skills?
01/06/2019 02:44 AMPosted by KushiSensei
It's a gamble. Wait to see if it'll pay off or not before declaring success or defeat.

No. It was high treason. Mobile games aren't real games, and mobile players aren't true players. We don't have to wait for anything.
01/06/2019 06:56 AMPosted by KushiSensei
Did the PC base flipped out when they announced Diablo for the Playstation and Xbox?

Very little, but D3V for the PC was still fresh at the time, and was getting regular updates/content. The game also was a direct port to the 2 consoles and not a new game.

did they went berserk when they announced Diablo for the Nintendo Switch?

There was a little more backlash on this announcement having the game released on a third console, but the backlash was heavily tempered by promises of "the forges are burning hot" and "multiple projects". People could live with the 3rd console port of the existing game because they expected some long overdue PC content at Blizzcon.

I get that people are upset that it's new content in Diablo on a device that most people wouldn't consider playing on for reasons but if it was announced for everything else other than PC, would the reaction be different?

People are not upset that they are releasing some mobile crap, they are enraged because the only new game we are getting is mobile crap. If they had announced a new PC game or other major PC content with the mobile crap on the side, there would have been far, far less backlash.

I don't think it's "forgetting" the PC platform moreso than going "hey, we don't have anything ready and we'd rather show, not tell".

In the last 17 years, we have gotten 1 new game, 1 xpac, 1 dlc for Diablo PC. In the last 7 years we have gotten 3 console ports and a mobile trash game. It is not so much as they are forgetting the PC platform as they are trying to get away from the PC platform. I would love to believe they are working on amazing major PC games and content for Diablo, but their recent history shows they are chasing something else. Seeing is believing and all I have seen in the last 4+ years for the PC is a character DLC.

I would love to get rekt on this, but until I get rekt, I haven't got rekt.
Blizzard "best developers have moved to mobile"

Why are they all living in Alabama?
"Best developers have moved to mobile" is actually a good message because if that was the "best" what we've had to experience the past years then iam glad they do leave.

Makes room for new devs who are probably "slightly more inspired" than them - in fact iam all over certain they can't do any worse or less no matter what they do.
Even worse if the best development blizzard has to offer would rather work or are forced to work on mobile titles it does not bode well for Blizzards development as a whole.
01/05/2019 06:23 PMPosted by WarReaver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQ73V22kfI
If you think Diablo has any kind of future on the PC, you are delusional.
Better yet hope the best devs move away from Diablo entirely, and get replaced with the original head-devs Brev n his buddies who completely understood how to make gothic, adult, 20-years-cool, immersive, challenging, and FUN diablo games.

All these non-brevik Schaefer n matt-u devs (such as the famous multiple projects wall-dev) just don't understand what we want as players + what parts of diablo 1n2 we liked and did not like. Its so easy to understand and not-subjective like they barrier it with.

Ask us if you are unsure devs...but that's not blizz style...they think they know...and they don't. That's been proven...3 times since D3 launch.
01/07/2019 08:55 AMPosted by Thorodan
Better yet hope the best devs move away from Diablo entirely, and get replaced with the original head-devs Brev n his buddies who completely understood how to make gothic, adult, 20-years-cool, immersive, challenging, and FUN diablo games.

Have you tried the games they've come out with since Diablo II in 2000?

There's Hellgate: London from 2007 which Schaefer and Brevik worked on. Brevik also created Marvel Heroes in 2013.
01/07/2019 06:44 PMPosted by Jinx
01/07/2019 08:55 AMPosted by Thorodan

There's Hellgate: London from 2007 which Schaefer and Brevik worked on. Brevik also created Marvel Heroes in 2013.
Are you dissing David Brevik and his buddies ability to make a 20+ year awesome-game that has so many people passionate about....by bringing up later-games everyone has known about that did not succeed and were not as cool?

Like you're trying to say "brev n co weren't that good at Diablo" by comparing Hellgate n co against Diablo 1n2.

I could take the other stance..."have you heard of Diablo 1 n 2 and tried them for years?"

See you're trying to act like we don't know what Gate London and such are...and that they sucked. As if you knew some coveted info.

Your point is that Brev n them are not good at making ARPG's....and Diablo 1 n 2 speak against your super-bold claim.

Go head...write brevik and co...tell them your thoughts...you like to argue they are bad at making ARPG's by referencing Hellgate over D1 n 2. See how well that goes to them and the community. Or...are you just looking to point out something for the sake of arguing because that's fun for you.

No sir...we don't know what Hellgate is...never heard of it...you are enlightening everyone with your incredible-insight from google...and you have a very-bold stance that Brev n co are 'bad' at ARPG's....and i'd bet you are in the extreme-minority.

Ask reddit your stance.
You think Brev n co can't make a good Diablo 4 bc they made HG London so bad?
Hating on Brev n Co....that's pretty bold there sir.
01/09/2019 03:38 AMPosted by Thorodan
Are you dissing David Brevik and his buddies ability to make a 20+ year awesome-game that has so many people passionate about....by bringing up later-games everyone has known about that did not succeed and were not as cool?

What he's saying is that Brevik hasn't had a successful game since Diablo 1 / 2, but plenty of bad ones, so his track record over the last two decades is really poor and that's not a good basis to re-hire him.
01/09/2019 03:38 AMPosted by Thorodan
01/07/2019 06:44 PMPosted by Jinx

Like you're trying to say "brev n co weren't that good at Diablo" by comparing Hellgate n co against Diablo 1n2.

I could take the other stance..."have you heard of Diablo 1 n 2 and tried them for years?"

See you're trying to act like we don't know what Gate London and such are...and that they sucked. As if you knew some coveted info.

Your point is that Brev n them are not good at making ARPG's....and Diablo 1 n 2 speak against your super-bold claim.

Go head...write brevik and co...tell them your thoughts...you like to argue they are bad at making ARPG's by referencing Hellgate over D1 n 2. See how well that goes to them and the community. Or...are you just looking to point out something for the sake of arguing because that's fun for you.

No sir...we don't know what Hellgate is...never heard of it...you are enlightening everyone with your incredible-insight from google...and you have a very-bold stance that Brev n co are 'bad' at ARPG's....and i'd bet you are in the extreme-minority.

Ask reddit your stance.
You think Brev n co can't make a good Diablo 4 bc they made HG London so bad?
Hating on Brev n Co....that's pretty bold there sir.

I had taken an interest in this discussion and was reading through, but then I got to your post and realized trying to read it was making me want to kill myself.
01/07/2019 03:53 AMPosted by NINEGRAVES
in fact iam all over certain they can't do any worse or less no matter what they do.

Blizzard: "hold my beer"
01/09/2019 04:50 AMPosted by Meteorblade
so his track record over the last two decades is really poor

With the greatest RPG ever, "Diablo II" in his belt, he could do nothing but trash for the next 50 years and still be a God walking on Earth!

Wake up bro. He is a master no matter what you think!
01/09/2019 05:51 AMPosted by Chetanji
Wake up bro. He is a master no matter what you think!

Even stopped clocks are right twice a day.
It doesn't mean they're a reliable source for telling the time.
Blizzard switching to mobile is likely an attempt to try to keep up with changing market trends. Especially in key demographics.
01/05/2019 06:23 PMPosted by WarReaver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQ73V22kfI
If you think Diablo has any kind of future on the PC, you are delusional.

If that's the case then they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

Money that someone else is going to scoop up. No problem, ones failure to see profit will be someone else's success.
01/09/2019 06:11 AMPosted by Fluffypaws
Blizzard switching to mobile is likely an attempt to try to keep up with changing market trends. Especially in key demographics.

If they are they are doing a pisspoor job of it. For a multi billion dollar organization, they could have just added a new division to focus on mobile platforms whilst maintaining their PC revenue stream. Not this bull!@#$ where they moved around manpower just to cut costs. Literally starving their main IPs
You know what's interesting? Other companies have moved their "best developers to mobile" before. Konami did that to Koji Igarashi, who was in charge of the Castlevania series for many years. Igarashi ended up leaving the company because they were not letting him do what he did best, and they treated him poorly. But even if you don't care about your workers, what you should take from this story is this: what has happened to the Castlevania series since? A blatant nose-dive in quality and consumer trust.

This is how you kill your reputation and ultimately your position in an industry. You ignore your consumers and you misuse the talent of your workers. Perhaps if you weren't so busy sucking up to your shareholders, you would not be so blind to the damage you are doing to yourselves.

Any verbal response that could be made on this subject is insufficient. Either take action to reverse this, or stew in the mess of your own making. Either way, I don't want to hear anyone blaming consumers for this; consumers wouldn't have been criticizing all of this if they didn't care about the company's success. Companies have no one to blame but themselves, and it is incumbent on them to either repair the damage or crash and burn in the end. The shortsightedness is astounding.
01/09/2019 06:29 AMPosted by grundy
they could have just added a new division to focus on mobile platforms whilst maintaining their PC revenue stream.

They have a separate "incubation" team that works on new games (including mobile games like Diablo Immortal). The Diablo team ("Team 3") would be working on something else.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/23/blizzard-pokemon-warcraft-mobile-game/

To say that Diablo Immortal's announcement wasn't well-received would be an understatement, but just because Blizzard got a lot of flak for it doesn't mean it'll shelve its other mobile projects. According to Kotaku, the gaming titan is already building a Pokémon Go-like Warcraft game for mobile. It's currently being developed by Blizzard's "incubation" team, which is one of the company's newest departments formed when co-founder Allen Adham returned in 2016. It's also the department behind Immortal.
that's not even what they said lol. if you're going to quote them at least do it right.