How about a new Item Crafting System

General Discussion
I am not sure if any blues will read this or even comment on this, but I wanted to share an idea about D3 and how it could be improved pretty easily.

The game is very dependent on legendaries and set items for end game. Why not change that a bit. What if the Runewords were brought back? What if you used a white item and put it in a crafting system and create yourself a great piece of gear? You can use Runes, existing crafting material, or possibly something new. Ubers could have a chance to drop rare items for crafting if the game needs certain things. Then you could spend those crafting items to craft new items, like using the Enchantress. I believe this would be a pretty simple addition that would really help expand the end game grind. What is everyone else's thoughts?
A really good created rare piece of gear will never compete with he scaling damage system of Set/Legendary Items.
Or you could just expand on the current crafting system, add some new items, improve the old ones.
12/28/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Rashiel
Or you could just expand on the current crafting system, add some new items, improve the old ones.

Yes, could have been nice if they were actually useful
or they can just make diablo 4.
12/28/2018 06:17 AMPosted by Tron
I am not sure if any blues will read this or even comment on this, but I wanted to share an idea about D3 and how it could be improved pretty easily.

The game is very dependent on legendaries and set items for end game. Why not change that a bit. What if the Runewords were brought back? What if you used a white item and put it in a crafting system and create yourself a great piece of gear? You can use Runes, existing crafting material, or possibly something new. Ubers could have a chance to drop rare items for crafting if the game needs certain things. Then you could spend those crafting items to craft new items, like using the Enchantress. I believe this would be a pretty simple addition that would really help expand the end game grind. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Unfortunately, this will not happen for a few reasons:

1. - Blizzard already removed the bulk of developers on this game to put to other projects. This kind of change would require a lot more resources to implement

2. - This particular ARPG emphasises the power of legendary and particularly set bonuses, making all other equipment at level 70 worth nothing more than the components you get breaking them or a means to use the cube to try to roll up the legendary/set item. Rare and Magic items are seen as part of the process of working your way up towards wearing only legendary and set components and are not meant to be endgame items.

3. - This concept has been brought up before, and a lot of disdain for such an idea has been thrown around in this forum for such an idea. Apparently the playerbase in general wants legendary and set items to be the only items worth chasing instead of having a variety of gear that could be viable for a variety of reasons.

4. - This game is balanced on the assumption that the players will go after 6pc set bonuses and the specific, appropriate legendary gear made to support those sets. Use of anything else really restricts just how high you can go in Torments unless you have a moderate amount of Paragon and a well designed custom build to handle what the game will throw at you without the huge set damage bonuses. If you do this, be prepared to have a hard time finding public games that will not kick you out.

To be honest, if you're looking for that kind variance in gear quality and variety to make other types of gear other than legendary and set useful in endgame activities, you're in the wrong game unless you want to play knowing you're gimping your character.

Some suggestions for other games that would appeal to what you're looking for in an ARPG would be Titan Quest, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Diablo 1 with the Belzebub mod or Diablo 2.
I appreciate your ideas, but sadly, they are for a dead game that is no longer in development. Unless the idea involves changing the color of a beam or adding an extra zero to a set bonus damage modifier, it is beyond Activision's capabilities.

Diablo 3 DID have a crafting system rather like that. It required a specific white item and rare crating mats that dropped from specific mobs/locations so you had to go farm them. These items were used to create specific Legendary and Set items. This system was in addition to the normal crafting system.

People did not like having to use inventory to collect all the rare crafting mats and did not enjoy farming specific items in specific locations.

Personally, I love that kind of thing, but I get why many don't.

Most of those craft recipes now can be made using the current crafting system or drop in game. Just in case we forgot the system existed, you can still get Griswold's Scribblings from bookshelves in Act 1 that sells for a reasonable amount of gold. Quite nice to find in a new Season.
What if you used a white item and put it in a crafting system and create yourself a great piece of gear?

The sad thing is, there clearly was intent to implement such a system... why else would we have the multitude of white item qualities?
12/28/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Bricktop
The sad thing is, there clearly was intent to implement such a system... why else would we have the multitude of white item qualities?

Actually, there used to be recipes in-game that required a white item to craft a legendary of that type. The requirement for the white items in the recipes were removed years ago.
12/28/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Meteorblade
Actually, there used to be recipes in-game that required a white item to craft a legendary of that type. The requirement for the white items in the recipes were removed years ago.

Actually, the white item quality levels have been in the game since release, unlike the recipes mentioned by both yourself and MissCheetah, those recipes were added much later and the quality of the item used had no bearing on the results.
I wish it had been much more like D2 crafting except with the blacksmith interface instead of cube. Base armor, a gem associated with the crafting recipe and then I'd have a system where you can add essences of (prefix or suffix) to guarantee some level of that affix on the crafting. Adding multiple of those essences increases the floor value that will roll on the item while increasing gem cost exponentially. The essences would be acquired from dismantling blue (or rare items).

But like Zedd said, the itemization in this game is garbage. Its all about set and legendary items. Rare items are stepping stones and will not ever have any use after an hour at level 70.
how about you buy a new phone?
12/28/2018 09:31 AMPosted by MissCheetah

Diablo 3 DID have a crafting system rather like that. It required a specific white item and rare crating mats that dropped from specific mobs/locations so you had to go farm them. These items were used to create specific Legendary and Set items. This system was in addition to the normal crafting system.

People did not like having to use inventory to collect all the rare crafting mats and did not enjoy farming specific items in specific locations.

Most of those craft recipes now can be made using the current crafting system or drop in game. Just in case we forgot the system existed, you can still get Griswold's Scribblings from bookshelves in Act 1 that sells for a reasonable amount of gold. Quite nice to find in a new Season.

My issue was the space, not the system. Now that they consolidated the space by making it so crafting mats go into their own thing, use that system?

I dont really understand why you cant have both. Have the rare materials still be a thing just in a different place. Im ok with farming a zone for a specific material if I can also free up space in my inventory.

Griswold's Scribblings can drop from any bookshelf or loose stone in the ground in any act. And yes, it is indeed a nice find if you get it early, though bounty cache gold quickly makes it nothing more than a footnote unless you got the scribblings in your first few levels.
12/28/2018 08:02 PMPosted by TheTias

Griswold's Scribblings can drop from any bookshelf or loose stone in the ground in any act. And yes, it is indeed a nice find if you get it early, though bounty cache gold quickly makes it nothing more than a footnote unless you got the scribblings in your first few levels.

<3 but pretty sure it is Act 1.

I wasn't around that time, but it occured to me biggest issue was they still keeping "6 random affixes" thing. I mean, what's the difference?

If I'm going that extra mile to farm something from monsters why their quality never differ? Why I can't craft something specific to answer one of my character's need or cover up its weakness? Some crafting material will be eventually harder to find than the others. Why crafting system never have some basic features besides going full into RNG, lazily as always?
12/28/2018 10:17 PMPosted by MissCheetah
<3 but pretty sure it is Act 1.

I found most of mine in Act 2 (Archives) and Act 3 (Keeps maps). They aren't limited to just Act 1.
Runewords are functionally identical with legendaries once you complete them. It's just an item with stats and an effect. The OP is suggesting slower to find legendaries with a higher opportunity cost for using them and more specific and repetitive grinding to acquire them.

Are you going to put game changing/build defining effects behind a grinding gate? There are numerous downsides to that.

Are you going to put game changing levels of power behind that grinding gate? There are problems with that too. And that aspect of the game is already covered by normal v ancient items.

I'm not sure what the upside is beyond "They were in D2!"
12/29/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Mercury
Are you going to put game changing/build defining effects behind a grinding gate? There are numerous downsides to that.

Are you going to put game changing levels of power behind that grinding gate? There are problems with that too.

There's problems with any kind of system blizzard could go with, just as there's problems with the current system.

Also, Diablo itself is a grinding game, so what does it matter if it possesses more "grinding gates".