How about a new Item Crafting System

General Discussion
12/29/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Oblivion
There's problems with any kind of system blizzard could go with, just as there's problems with the current system.

Indeed. All design is a series of tradeoffs and compromises to stay within requirements. What trade offs are worth what benefits is exactly what we are discussing.

12/29/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Oblivion
Also, Diablo itself is a grinding game, so what does it matter if it possesses more "grinding gates".

Spending half of a season not playing the build you want to play is a hugely negative experience. More grinding for the sake of more grinding is generally a negative experience.

As is, the game already has an overabundance of grinding in what many consider to be the best part of the game, ie GRs. Do we need more grinding in less engaging and interesting parts of the game? I'm skeptical.

Just IMO, but the OP describes my least favorite part of this game as an essential part of rune words, eg grinding like is done for the HFA. I find it to be a tedious chore. That style of grinding is inherently more repetitive. That repetitive style of play has already been purposefully removed from the game because it was a negative experience.
12/29/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Mercury
Spending half of a season not playing the build you want to play is a hugely negative experience. More grinding for the sake of more grinding is generally a negative experience.

With how easy it is to get gear via kadala and kanai's cube, I don't see how a majority wouldn't be able to play the build they want in less than a month's time. Also, OP made mention of adding crafting materials to already established content, like ubers which are already farmed. So grinding time itself wouldn't really increase as much, but the goals at which you may plan your character would.

12/29/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Mercury
As is, the game already has an overabundance of grinding in what many consider to be the best part of the game, ie GRs. Do we need more grinding in less engaging and interesting parts of the game? I'm skeptical.

Personally I don't see ubers, bounties, nephalem rifts as less engaging or interesting as greater rifts, only less rewarding and/or challenging, which could easily be fix if the developers were willing, but that's a topic for another time.
With how easy it is to get gear via kadala and kanai's cube, I don't see how a majority wouldn't be able to play the build they want in less than a month's time.

That's exactly the point of Kadala, seasonal gifts and Kanai's cube. It is not fun to play more than a little while in a build you don't want to play. Asking players to wait a month for their preferred build doesn't sound fun to me.

Also, OP made mention of adding crafting materials to already established content, like ubers which are already farmed.

I am aware. I've already mentioned how those are my personal least favorite parts of the game.

12/29/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Oblivion
Personally I don't see ubers, bounties, nephalem rifts as less engaging or interesting as greater rifts, only less rewarding

Adding a good reward to a bad mechanic makes the mechanic worse. As is, the worst parts of the game can be played a few times each season without requiring grinding. You can do a few sets of bounties and ubers and be set for most of the season. Making those parts of the game arbitrarily more essential doesn't add anything to those activities beyond an aggravating sense of obligation.
12/29/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Mercury
That's exactly the point of Kadala, seasonal gifts and Kanai's cube. It is not fun to play more than a little while in a build you don't want to play. Asking players to wait a month for their preferred build doesn't sound fun to me.

Not sure your point is here if we both agree that it is insanely easy to obtain gear. Most players take less than a week in order to run high tier greater rifts. Personally for me, it takes about 2-3 weeks some seasons, since my schedule disallows me to play sometimes. That said, grinding in itself is rarely fun, however as long as the object that one is grinding for is worth it and not nigh impossible to obtain, there's nothing wrong with it.

I am aware. I've already mentioned how those are my personal least favorite parts of the game.

Understandable, personally I'm not fond of greater rifts themselves, not as content of course, but the fact that they offer far more reward and challenge in comparison to the rest of the game.

Adding a good reward to a bad mechanic makes the mechanic worse. As is, the worst parts of the game can be played a few times each season without requiring grinding. You can do a few sets of bounties and ubers and be set for most of the season. Making those parts of the game arbitrarily more essential doesn't add anything to those activities beyond an aggravating sense of obligation.

None of those contents are "bad mechanics", no more than greater rifts are anyway. Could they be improved? Yes, most definitely, but they aren't outright bad.
Crafted items don't have to be key items, just useful enough. So people could have brawl oriented gear that are easily discardable or gear that powerful enough to serve as a stepstone to swap them for Set items later along the way.
Another purpose could be preventing people from leaping through difficulty layers by donning Set items, just because they chased a few achievements for Haedrig's Gift or it may allow them to tie different Sets together in an unusual way.

Before S16 -which about to arrive- people were chasing behind RoRG still like anyone else at Seasons. Even without the fuss of RoRG, they'll be chasing achievements and key items at Greater Rifts to farm effectively. I see no problem with them chasing craft materials to create specific pieces. I'll stick to this opinion unless they decide to address the restrictive nature of Sets too.

Only thing that holds Blizzard is their own lazy design and when called out on it, they simply take the easy way out by retracting the whole thing. Just like they removing mechanics with sarcastic comments of "that's not how you meant to play it"; everytime when community finds out something new to enjoy.
Yeah, no. They remove everything that could require a small amount of skill and buff everything. This approach is lacking insight on many levels and one of the reasons of shortcomings of gameflow.

Stop getting panic attacks because someone criticized your precious game as it has more than one core problems. Emphasizing on the destination more than journey is one of them.