Simplest Way to Improve D3? Leaderboard Revision.

General Discussion
The easiest and fastest way I can think of to improve the game at the current moment is to revise the leaderboards for all classes. The overall class leaderboards should stay, but we should also have boards for every class set, LON for each class, no set items, and only yellow/blue/white items.

Why? Because it wouldn't be all that hard to do, as Blizz already collects detailed info on every GR ever opened, and it will essentially create a significant amount of new content for everybody. Currently, the leaderboards really drive what items people are equipping.

I mostly play Barb, and the Barb leaderboards are filled with R6 clears, even down at the level where other sets could certainly do the job. Most people just look for what's best, and then play that. I mostly play MOTE, and it would be interesting to me to have a leaderboard based on that set, so I could actually see how I'm doing compared to other people who may play MOTE, but have overwritten their MOTE clears with other sets. I'm sure Impale DH, Zunimassa WD, Uliana Monk, and many others would appreciate it as well.

Will this fix all our D3 related problems? No, of course not. But the fact is that for every class, some set will always be the best, whether it's by 1, 5, or 10 GR levels. Many people will then feel locked in to playing that particular "best" set, or they will complain incessantly that "their" set has been ignored, disrespected, etc.

It's easy to say, "Just play what's fun! Forget about the leaderboards!". But people in this game really like to compete, both with themselves and with other people. It isn't really *competition* though, when the deck is stacked heavily towards one set or another, and you can't even accurately measure how you are doing with any of the other sets.

Expanded leaderboards will get more people to play more different sets, and will alleviate some of the bad feelings that always arise when it comes to balance issues. Do I think Blizz will actually implement this? Well, realistically, no. But I do think it would be an easy change that would help the player base, and Blizz as well.
Yeh; surely wont take forever to create some additional databases to get some new ranking tables - but for them devs here even small changes seem to be big challenges.
Should add a 5 minute leaderboard.
I think it is a great idea, incentive to run other specs and see were you are.
How do you purpose they fix the problem of self found vs group found gear and paragon? I don't play the lb's, but it seems to me a big complaint is that people are able to gain high gems and paragon in group play and then gain a high place in the solo lb's. Making the solo lb's invalid, by opinion.
I think that problem is beyond the scope of my proposed solution. Like I said, it isn’t intended to be a perfect fix for everything.

I myself only play solo, I think i’m rank 67 or so on the NA barb leaderboard. That’s ok! I don’t need to be rank 1 or something, I just want better ways to look at the standings.
It would be nice if at the start of the season, you had the option of either group or solo leaderboard. Solo players could only upgrade legendary gems in solo GR's.
Still wouldn’t mean anything. The randomized nature of the game is anethema to leaderboards.

Even if that weren’t the case, there’s still rampant botting and exploiting.
Good idea
Let's face it, the leader boards will be filled with people who bot, use god programs, etc. no matter what set of armor you have on. How can us regular players compete with those who supposedly play over 20 hours each and every day. I have checked each day and yea it shows up each day and so they did not start with a old character. Until Blizzard gets serious about the cheaters us regular players will just have to play for the fun of it.
I would like to see consistent clear times - Best of 3 clears in a row. Blizzard has to track 3 completed clears in a row without restarts. The best time out of those 3 clears is recorded.

It would eliminate phishing.
12/22/2018 10:42 AMPosted by charliedog
Let's face it, the leader boards will be filled with people who bot, use god programs, etc. no matter what set of armor you have on. How can us regular players compete with those who supposedly play over 20 hours each and every day. I have checked each day and yea it shows up each day and so they did not start with a old character. Until Blizzard gets serious about the cheaters us regular players will just have to play for the fun of it.

Most people that it matters for do not care tbh.

Cheaters eventually get banned, albeit slower than it should happen, but it gets done.

The bottom line is that they say they want people to play their own way, then give them all the means to do so! Having LB's of various iterations gives players that ability to feel accomplishment with their random build.

Perception is massive!

However, the fact that they still have not done this after 1.5 years of it being a request, even though it would take an intern a single week to put together for them, shows that either A - they do not read anything on here, or B- they just do not care! Neither of these is the Blizzard we know :(
12/21/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Pestilence
How do you purpose they fix the problem of self found vs group found gear and paragon? I don't play the lb's, but it seems to me a big complaint is that people are able to gain high gems and paragon in group play and then gain a high place in the solo lb's. Making the solo lb's invalid, by opinion.

12/12/2018 12:22 AMPosted by Evil
100% SOLO laddder would fix a lot of unfair stuff

Add a single player game mode.

Checkboxes for season and hardcore. Shared stash available to same. Unable to group join. No imbalance due to group play paragon/gem leveling or accessing bounty bots. Add convert button if player no longer wishes to play single player that character (similar to converting "D2 classic to D2 LOD.")
12/22/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Demonmonger
Cheaters eventually get banned, albeit slower than it should happen, but it gets done.

The bottom line is that they say they want people to play their own way, then give them all the means to do so! Having LB's of various iterations gives players that ability to feel accomplishment with their random build.

Yes, Demonmonger, I think we feel the same way.

As for people who have mentioned group play as an imbalancing issue... Well, in part, I agree, but it's not a huge deal to me. I have only ever played solo, and I'm decently placed on the leaderboards. The thing is: with split leaderboards, you could at least see evidence for WHY somebody is ahead of you with a certain set: better gear, higher augments or paragon, a different build, etc. As it is now, you may not see hardly any clears with your favored set on the boards, because they've all been overwritten.

My argument kind of remains the same: diversified leaderboards are not a perfect solution to all our problems, but they WILL improve our overall experience a lot, and for a minimum of effort on Blizz's part.

And at this point I think "minimum effort" fixes are all we can expect.
You then run into troubles like "that's unfair, he's using firebird star pact and I'm using meteor shower, I can't compete, please make two different leaderboards for that" and other "I'm using charge IK/Hota barb but it's counted against full hota IK even though it's clearly a different build".
It's not possible to cater to everybody's needs. Just deal with it. Me too I'd love to be able to check how good I am compared to other roland players as it is my favourite set, but the crusader leaderboard is filled with condemn crusader (especially since it's the best botting build unfortunately) so I can't.
I mean, yeah, carried out to some extreme degree, the idea begins to look ridiculous. But that's true with just about anything.

And "just deal with it" is a response you can offer to basically any problem, but it's never particularly helpful.

So yes, if we had a leaderboard for literally every single different gearing choice, and every different skill choice... well, that wouldn't actually be a leaderboard at all, and almost nobody would be happy with that result. But having leaderboards based on sets is something that 1) a majority of the player base would like, including yourself, obviously, and 2) would not be difficult to implement, since both the leaderboard mechanics and the data collection process necessary to create new boards already exist.

Every choice Blizz has made over the past few years has made it clear that they want high-end gameplay to revolve around SETS (including LON). They should give us SET LEADERBOARDS, in order to make that decision give the best possible experience to D3 players.
12/21/2018 05:01 PMPosted by Rage
I think that problem is beyond the scope of my proposed solution. Like I said, it isn’t intended to be a perfect fix for everything.

I myself only play solo, I think i’m rank 67 or so on the NA barb leaderboard. That’s ok! I don’t need to be rank 1 or something, I just want better ways to look at the standings.

I'd say a category that caps Paragon to 800 and any equipped gems and augments to a specific level, say 80. Obviously, there are still some intrinsic advantages to multiplayer like lootsharing leading to potentially better gear and those with higher levels naturally having more chances at better drops themselves, but in the end it'd shift focus more onto one's skill with gear differences hopefully not being as big.

Also feel like when someone takes a #1 spot, that rift is saved and people can challenge it themselves. If they beat the original's time, they become the #1. Some could try to optimize a run, but there's always the possibility someone with a completely different rift could get an even better time at a higher level.
12/24/2018 10:40 PMPosted by Saidosha
Also feel like when someone takes a #1 spot, that rift is saved and people can challenge it themselves. If they beat the original's time, they become the #1. Some could try to optimize a run, but there's always the possibility someone with a completely different rift could get an even better time at a higher level.

I think this would only work if they only get 1 shot at it.
i would really like separate lb for each set plus one for LoN.

it would make people play and focus on more builds without adding any new content.

i mostly play barb and MotE is my fav set but why would i bother pushing with it if i can just switch to R6 hota and do +5 GR easily. Talking about current patch ofc.
Necroing this thread since I think my original point is just as important as we head for Season 17, as it was when we were headed for Season 16.

Speaking as a Barb, LoN will never compete with any of our set builds, even taking into account a few extra ring bonuses in S17. Competition between players using LoN, or between different LoN builds, is a very interesting thing. But we have no way of tracking that competition, since clears with LoN are unlikely to show up on the leaderboard for very long, since players will probably overwrite them with higher clears using set items.

Expand the leaderboards! This is a relatively simple change Blizz can make that will essentially generate a huge amount of extra content in the blink of an eye, making things better for players and devs alike.