Free new content

General Discussion
If we look at the market for MMO and ARPG, free content always comes at a price.

Why is it that all the popular F2P games get new content as long as the game is popular?
A short answer to this is the microtransactions. Companies no longer accept financial losses, no matter how much the game is popular, and new content = new spendings.

For D4 to be the kind of game that is continuously patched with new and exciting content, they will need to adopt the microtransaction as the monetization model.

Now, microtransactions is a dirty word and is often synonymous of "pay to win", but there's always a correct way to approach microtransactions. D3 introduced pets and cosmetic elements, those a easy to sell for the right price. A player who's comfortable spending money of cosmetic items will then make it possible for a non-payer to enjoy the game without additional costs.

Then Blizzard can do the usual expansions to introduce massive changes to the game at a more reasonable price.

A continuous stream of money from Diablo 4 will ensure the player that the game will be supported as long as it is popular. Small additions to the game would not cost a dime to the non-payer, but character packs could be sold and would be a better incentive to the non-payer to shed some $$ to have access to something new.
12/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Imperius
there's always a correct way to approach microtransactions.

The way to do is to be content driven, not microtransaction driven. Sell us a finished, polished game. Each year have xpacs and/or dlc's to keep the game play fresh. Adding a cosmetic shop for a secondary source of income is fine, just as long as it isn't the primary drive for the game development. When it comes to the cosmetic shop, NO CANCEROUS LOOT BOXES! Make the art then sell it, not make the art then sell people a chance to get it.
Just saying, PoE couldn't offer you new content for every league (season) without microtransactions or at least a subscription model.

You want continuous infusions of content to keep the game fresh? You can't do that with an expansion every 1 or 2 years. When you buy an expansion, you pay for that content and that content alone. Further updates are not part of the deal.
I'm fine with microtransactions if it was set at a reasonable price. For example, new skin (cosmetics), additional stash space, hero packs would be things I would pay for in D3 if the price was fair.
For D4 to be the kind of game that is continuously patched with new and exciting content, they will need to adopt the microtransaction as the monetization model.

That's one the reasons why they released D:I. To learn how to monetize next game. Even if they fail and people don't play Diablo Immortal the loss is nothing compared to a bigger project failure on PC or console. It's just a testbuild on monetization to survey what people buys and what they don't like.

However, they should've get those sorta data from their Destiny 2 and CoD:BlOps4 playerbase. There was no need to release a barebones market survey as the next big thing in the franchise.
12/11/2018 04:51 PMPosted by Imperius
Just saying, PoE couldn't offer you new content for every league (season) without microtransactions or at least a subscription model.

You want continuous infusions of content to keep the game fresh? You can't do that with an expansion every 1 or 2 years. When you buy an expansion, you pay for that content and that content alone. Further updates are not part of the deal.

I can foresee my down-voting but I must say Blizzard should study PoE's microtransaction pattern and how they can survive (and even grow) with it :-)
12/11/2018 09:54 PMPosted by WCLee

I can foresee my down-voting but I must say Blizzard should study PoE's microtransaction pattern and how they can survive (and even grow) with it :-)

they dont have to study PoE. Blizzard already does quite alright with microtransactions. Look at HotS and OW, and to a lesser extent, WoW.
Pets, wings, weapons/armor transmorgs, stash tab, pack mule, ability animation/colors, character slots, anything cosmetic really.

If they wanted to be evil, season passes.
Sure, character packs would be cool. A druid character pack. Assassin character pack. Make up some whacky new classes, Cow Herder Pack (make him play like a bard or something), Priest Character pack (holy spells that plays like a mix between crusader/paladin and a mage)

The problem now, is D3 isnt set up for this type of system. They could dip into the old code from when the RMAH was around, but I thought the entire system was already reworked when they got rid of it. But going forward you can bet a rainbow goblins !@# it will be implemented. But thats the $1,000,000 question......what and when are they really going to move forward with?
Best Games had been Subscription Model and always will Be.
Millenials broke it with their braindead cellphone games.
End
12/11/2018 07:57 PMPosted by naksiloth

That's one the reasons why they released D:I. To learn how to monetize next game. Even if they fail and people don't play Diablo Immortal the loss is nothing compared to a bigger project failure on PC or console. It's just a testbuild on monetization to survey what people buys and what they don't like.

However, they should've get those sorta data from their Destiny 2 and CoD:BlOps4 playerbase. There was no need to release a barebones market survey as the next big thing in the franchise.

Diablo 3 in China has a transmog and tab shop. Just copy that.
Micro transaction ONLY for cosmetics and only with limited small amount...otherwise game is trash and ruined.
12/12/2018 12:46 AMPosted by Matos
Best Games had been Subscription Model and always will Be.
Millenials broke it with their braindead cellphone games.
End

There it is.

No real argument to make? Blame Millenials. It's easy!
When you buy an expansion, you pay for that content and that content alone. Further updates are not part of the deal.

Exactly. The same applies to base game as well. You get what you pay for.

People don't seem to understand that the development of new content must be be financed somehow. For example PoE may seem to get constant free content but technically it's not free, it's financed by the microtransactions. GGG sells cosmetics and stash tabs to finance the development of new content and that content in turn incentivices people to spend money on microtransactions to finance further development. Cause and effect, both ways.

D3 on the other hand is based on the older model of buy-to-play. Once you've bought the game, Blizzard recieves no further income for it. Where's the incentive for Blizzard to develop new content if they get nothing in return? If they merely used what they gained from game sales alone to finance further development, eventually the financial balance would drop below zero. Not smart business.

Personally I have absolutely nothing against microtransactions as long as they are purely cosmetic and direct purchase (meaning no lootbox mechanics). The gaming industry is constantly evolving and monetization and business models in general evolve as well. Microtransactions are a part of that evolution. It has become far more lucrative model than the classic B2P which is why many developers and publishers now use it. Finding the right form for the MTXs is however still a bit hit and miss for some, customers should never feel like they're been abused.
(Sorry, my english is not good)

When a game has ways to earn money over time (as with micro-payments or subscriptions) they want their players to stay and continue spending. That's why the games are constantly updated. When the number of new and recurring players no longer merit further investment, updates are left aside.

D3 is a game where you pay only once and then play everything you want. This is why Blizzard does not earn anything by keeping his players, since he only makes money when he buys the game and not while he plays.

I did not pay $60 for path of exile, and even of I did not spend a cent it would still offer more.
12/12/2018 07:09 AMPosted by NaughtyOne

I did not pay $60 for path of exile, and even of I did not spend a cent it would still offer more.

Yes, because microtransactions are available and some people spend hundreds of dollars each, just so you can play for free.
Tbh i got nothing against microtransactions as long as they dont sport p2w variants and as long as theyre not overadvertised ingame.
12/11/2018 03:58 PMPosted by Alexismad
there's always a correct way to approach microtransactions.

The way to do is to be content driven, not microtransaction driven. Sell us a finished, polished game. Each year have xpacs and/or dlc's to keep the game play fresh. Adding a cosmetic shop for a secondary source of income is fine, just as long as it isn't the primary drive for the game development. When it comes to the cosmetic shop, NO CANCEROUS LOOT BOXES! Make the art then sell it, not make the art then sell people a chance to get it.

This. If I wanted to make a game I'd have to put my own money up front sell a product and hope for good profits. From these profits I could then produce more content (this means manage you money don't waste it, It can be done) I don't see why we don't hold big companies to the same standard. I'm to the point I don't want any micro transitions of any kind in my games. Subscription based means I'm trusting the company to put out good content. I really don't expect that from Activision. Maybe study the Grim Dawn model, used to be the Diablo model before companies wanted every dollar you work for.
12/12/2018 07:25 AMPosted by Imperius
Yes, because microtransactions are available and some people spend hundreds of dollars each, just so you can play for free.

Correct. It's amazing how some people have difficulty to understand this.

Just because majority of players don't pay a cent for anything in PoE, doesn't change the fact where financing for the new content comes from. Without MTXs bringing in income PoE would've died long ago. MTXs is the way how PoE stays alive and provides periodically new content. Without new content players stop buying MTXs.

It appears free but technically isn't. Nothing is ever 100%, not even F2P games.
I have to agree with Mossy. Personally I feel Grim Dawn is doing things great. They're releasing a new expansion that offers a new class to combo with the others (Which effectively means way more than just a single class), new act, new game modes. They are even adding new items to find that are supposed to be on par in terms of power with existing gear in the respective tiers. That means all the work you put in to acquire the current gear is not obliterated because of power creep, but the new items may just entice you to respec into new skills or even start a new character for an entirely new build. Great stuff!

Even expansions shouldn't feel mandatory in order to play and enjoy the game. In this regard, Neverwinter Nights did great as you got new classes, items and spells with an expansion, new campaign to follow as well...but it didn't feel like you HAD to own it to play and could even play with people without the expansion.

As to microtransactions, I tend to not use them myself unless I'm really enjoying the game and they are only cosmetic. I bought a few mounts for myself and my wife in WoW because we both love playing that game, the mounts looked cool, and we want to support a hobby we both enjoy doing together.

No MTX should feel mandatory in order to progress through the game. I refuse to play games with that design philosophy in mind.
12/12/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Zeddicuus

No MTX should feel mandatory in order to progress through the game. I refuse to play games with that design philosophy in mind.
Me too. I don't care for "a continuous stream of new content." I don't even know what people mean by that. I just want a game, one time purchase, that has enough content that can be played in many different ways. A bunch of different builds with a bunch of different equipment setups. That is what I am looking for in an ARPG. D2 was good. GD is better with the class combination system. So many ways to play. That is what it is about. Neither has TONS of content. Neither has changes in perpetuity. Both offer tons of playtime.