When was the last time?

General Discussion
Blizzard truly made a great game?

To me it was D2 LOD and it was released on June 27th 2001

What is your favorite game and when did Blizzard release it?
In my opinion last time blizzard released great content was The Burning Crusade expansion for wow.

LOD predates tbc , you asked for the last great release.
If I'm being honest, I've liked most everything they've done.

It's only recently that they've gone way off the rails. WoW BFD is garbage and the Diablo phone thing speaks for itself.

Other than that, Blizz has kept me fairly entertained over the years.

Despite what many hyper-critical people tell you - Diablo 3 was and still is a great game. It's loads of fun, but of course after being active for so long it's going to draw its critics. This is further amplified by Blizzard seemingly being unable to communicate and listen to their fan base. They are out of touch with what makes a good game anymore.
12/14/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Buns
To me it was D2 LOD

LOD was a pretty small expansion that didn't actually add much content in terms of story. It was some decent content, but it also really tanked the game's difficulty. It actually served pretty much the exact same purpose ROS did. It made a very difficult game accessible to a larger crowd.

Mists of Pandaria is the most recent content they put out that I really enjoyed.
Hearthstone pre-expansions power-up-boost. 2014.
D2 LoD. 2001.
Apparently WoW vanilla was OP just like D2 was/is. Didn't play WoW...was too busy playing...you know..D2 (splash of 1 ofc...absolutely-not splash of D3 ewww).

Those are Blizzards only-worthwhile-games n hits in the last 20 years.
Apparently HoTS is a decent game and I wouldn't mind giving it a try for a day.
OW? While I don't CoD/OW/FPS...and never will...who could play a FPS game and get all into it? Internet epeen fight! Gross! "u mad bro im playing CoDnOW instead of...working"...

Apparently cred where its due...OW year-1 was super-cool then I see it totally tanked and got-old. Was a cool 1-year new-feeling game though it seemed....there was a window to enjoy it.

Hearthstone - my (about to be former) jam - was sooo-truth when it first came out for years 1 and 2. Then around 2017 it started to turn downward. Right now try to play a wild match...log in...get rogue-only-milled...get aggrod...get otk'd...get recruited/hand-cheated on. That's hearthstone's square its got going on...and every deck is the same as last expansion, as the last, as the last....its the same-powercards n combos being used...repeatedly...and new cards just shape the classic-set-based cores. Its really old feeling...new cards are not enough...and annual rotation is certainly not enough.

Before HS powered up the cards so there's zero-room to play-nonmeta...its incredibly difficult (compared to before) to get A-win with a nonmeta deck (so a deck that doesn't use the core-cards metadecks use for that class...it cannot use those cards to be non-meta...that's the difference...but a lot of metaplayers like to use those cards and think their deck is nonmeta bc flexies are changed and not-core).

Hearthstone's biggest problem....by far...is the developers unwillingness / inability-to visualize and see how everyone copying metadecks and jammin em into one another....is super unenjoyable. It's why (like him or not) Reynad left to make his own game. Deckbulding is the part about hearthstone that hooks...and when that goes away because...well...it takes seriously 4 seconds on alt tab to pull up youtube….and that's what EVERYONE does...the 'execution' of a game only does so much. Plays 1 and 2 are "whats your list?" "whats your mulli-strat for this matchup". fact. Play 3 is turn-1. So if everyone, and I mean 99 percent for-sure, copy and play metadecks, or happen to build a metadeck suboptimally but using the same core on their own...it doesn't matter...its still the same-deck idea at its core...there's no deckbuilding going on...or mulli strat even. its just "ok we all borrowed the solutions manual for this deck". Devs don't understand people like to problem solve on their own...and their game just does not allow for that anymore....and it used to before power-ups. copying and winning is NOT fun in hearthstone...YOU didn't come up with the idea or decklist….so its lame. the 99 percent that play meta...and emote 'well played' before the match even starts...is so pathetic and not how hearthstone's vets used to be...we used to say 'well played' at match end...and not 'well played' before turn-1. ...while playing a metadeck they didn't build themselves... this is fact. /barf

So the lesson is "'play games when they launch" because usually even if they are a super-good game like OW/Hearthstone used to be...they end up tanking in a year or two because they get old. So the game remains "ok" but not "super new and fun" due to...time.

Diablo 2 though was SO-Adult, unlike Diablo 3, that 20 years later its still isn't "super old feeling and not-new" because of how that game is designed and exactly how diablo 3 chose not to do and misunderstood Diablo 2.
2012 with DIablo 3.

You don't have to worry about gimping your character and having to start over and it has an endless endgame where you can do bounties and rifts forever giving you plenty of great choices. I honestly don't see the issue. No one is forced to get sets. Just enjoy killing monsters for the sake of it and paragon leveling alone. It makes the game more fun.
World of Warcraft was imo their last great(as in awesome) game, bc and wotlk expansions to a lesser extent. SC2: Wings of liberty was not great but acceptable, beyond that everything went downhill, D3 remains a painful reminder.
I did forget to mention Hearthstone. I do enjoy Hearthstone. Some of the expansions where a bit less fun than others but I think overall it's still a fun game.
12/14/2018 09:14 AMPosted by stfd
In my opinion last time blizzard released great content was The Burning Crusade expansion for wow.

LOD predates tbc , you asked for the last great release.

I pretty much agree with this, but I go as far as WotLK, mostly cause I enjoyed the mounted combat idea, and the pvp zone (Winterspring I think it was called) reminded me a bit of the old AV when control for the territory started, as it was the only decent large scale pvp that WoW had, since they destroyed vanilla AV, and made it a zerg fest.

But those things aside, TBC was clearly the better expansion overall.

So... what? You’ve been QQing for 17 years? Playing games you don’t care for for 17 years.

Liking a game or not is a matter of taste. Obsessing over not liking a game is a pointless waste of time.

Get over yourself.
The simple fact that Blizzard only delivered hits with a few rare misses, should tell you that there's a whole lot of people who like their games.
12/14/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Imperius
The simple fact that Blizzard only delivered hits with a few rare misses, should tell you that there's a whole lot of people who like their games.

You don’t even need to guess. I believe I read that they have 345 million monthly users.
Their most recent great game to me was World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. I really enjoyed that expansion a lot. Warlords of Draenor was OK, Legion was pretty good, but I started WoW about 3 months before Cataclysm came out. MoP had so much stuff to do, plus I was still working on the full content of the previous expansions when that came out. I was never a hardcore raider or anything.

Diablo 3 was decently fun and all, but I wouldn't prop it up as a great game.
Warcraft III was great.

WoW was great through the first several expansions... it’s started to go down as they’ve had to make up the storyline more and more.

Nothing wrong with Overwatch as a team shooter, and I don’t think anyone could argue that it hasn’t been very successful as far as Esports.

Diablo 3, despite all.. is a good game. Not a great game, but a good game.
Truly great? Diablo. Everything since then is an iteration on a previous property using concepts borrowed from other games. Warcraft III was an abomination. They took a simple RTS game and iterated it into a bloated mess. Hero units have always been a poor idea and now it's infested everything. They've made some fun games but great? Nope. You know why we're having a nostalgia craze and phone games are making so much money? Simpler games are simply better.
12/14/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Mercury

So... what? You’ve been QQing for 17 years? Playing games you don’t care for for 17 years.

Liking a game or not is a matter of taste. Obsessing over not liking a game is a pointless waste of time.

Get over yourself.

Hey Mercury, I went back and checked out some of your post. You just like going against the grain for the sake of trolling. You are so edgy and cool man!! Do you also like dial up internet instead of high speed? You are so edgy and hit man.

Little tip for you, Blizzard/Activision doesn't care that you are white knighting for them. Stop trying so hard Mr go against the grain.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Get over yourself.

Hey Mercury, I went back and checked out some of your post. You just like going against the grain for the sake of trolling. You are so edgy and cool man!! Do you also like dial up internet instead of high speed? You are so edgy and hit man.

Little tip for you, Blizzard/Activision doesn't care that you are white knighting for them. Stop trying so hard Mr go against the grain.

So now you are policing the forums for a game company you happen to not care for. You are actually spending time reading a backlog of posts from people you don’t like on forums you don’t like.

Get a better hobby.

Yeesh!
12/14/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Buns

So now you are policing the forums for a game company you happen to not care for. Your actually spending time reading a backlog of post from people you don’t like on forums you don’t like.

Yeesh!

No, It's a feature to see peoples posts and I'm using it. It's good to know who i'm talking to. Mr. edgy cool guy