Calamity Bow (Blizzard Please Explain)

General Discussion
Blizzard, can you please restore this bow to its original status, and if not, can you please explain why, as I'm still trying to understand why you crippled this weapon in-the-first-place.

Note: With all of the ongoing Buffs, why hasn't this weapon been restored?

Thank you
What's wrong with it? It applies Marked for Death, right? Does it not do that anymore?
Blizz doesn't respond to anybody or even communicate at all when there are issues with the game or anything else. Yet somehow you think they are going to respond to you to explain why they changed the Calamity weapon? LMAO good luck with that.
01/17/2019 02:09 PMPosted by SuperCuddles
What's wrong with it? It applies Marked for Death, right? Does it not do that anymore?

IIRC, they changed it so that instead of marking everything that it hits, it will mark the last thing hit while removing any other marks.

But if you use an ability that hits many things (at very slightly different times), then it is always applied to the last one hit. This means that you can almost never actually benefit from the mark unless you are doing single target, or you're able to hit the last one hit on a previous attack with the first hit on your next attack.

Consider 3 mobs - A, B, and C - that are different distances from closest to farthest. Your attack first hits A and puts the mark on A, then B (removing the mark from A), then C. The mark is left on C. Your next attack will likely hit them in the same order, moving the mark again from A to B to C. But for each hit the mark is never on the target at the time of damage so it does nothing but add some pointless calculations/images.

I think I have this issue stated correctly. Anyone reading this feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Ohhh, wow yeah then that sucks. I remember last time I used it Season 3 or something it marked the entire screen with multishot for example. That change you listed really sucks and definitely should be reverted. Would be cool if they made it like multi-rune as well, because even if it was reverted to how it used to be, I'd be hard pressed to find a spot for it to be used.
I don't know why I keep my ancient Calamities.
I found an old thread about this - https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20748524977#post-1

This was changed when Blizzard wanted to nerf support characters - and made Calamity almost useless (or even harmful to use as it removes self-cast Marked for Deaths).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxR0zWrLQYA
(in German) shows some testing that was done, with 2.4.1 prenerf compared to 2.4.2. The only rune that was usable after the nerf was Valley of Death.

Really, if Blizzard had made it apply the mark before the damage it would still be usable in solo while still meeting their goal of reducing DH group support abilities.
boo hoo
01/17/2019 02:31 PMPosted by SuperCuddles
Ohhh, wow yeah then that sucks. I remember last time I used it Season 3 or something it marked the entire screen with multishot for example. That change you listed really sucks and definitely should be reverted. Would be cool if they made it like multi-rune as well, because even if it was reverted to how it used to be, I'd be hard pressed to find a spot for it to be used.

Evil needs time to grow or something like that, can't expect the devs to just never leave work and become slaves to our demands can we? Major changes like modifying a single weapon would take at least 3 departments 14 seasons. So just be patient and I am sure they will get to it soon.
Calamity is a fine weapon. It functions the same way that Exploding Palm works for the Monk (under certain conditions).

Unruned Exploding Palm affects only the target: "Cause an enemy to Bleed for 1200% weapon damage as Physical over 9 seconds. If the enemy dies while bleeding, it explodes and deals 2770% weapon damage as Physical damage to all nearby enemies." This is what you get if you use Madstone and Seven-Sided Strike.

If, however, you actually equip Exploding Palm, and assign a rune to it, then the EP applied by SSS adopts the effect of that rune.

Marked for Death applied by Calamity works the same way: "Mark an enemy. The marked enemy takes 15% additional damage for the next 30 seconds."

This is what Calamity applies to the enemy, and if you hit another enemy before the effect ends, it will be applied to the next enemy hit.

If, however, you actually equip Marked for Death, and assign a rune to it, then the MFD applied by Calamity adopts the effect of that rune.

I tend to favor Contagion.
01/17/2019 04:12 PMPosted by StoneOld
Calamity is a fine weapon. It functions the same way that Exploding Palm works for the Monk (under certain conditions).

Did you actually see the video posted? there is only 1 rune were calamity does something, for every other rune it does nothing outside wasting one skill slot even if you apply it manually calamity will remove it due how it works.
01/17/2019 03:14 PMPosted by Meldetia
I found an old thread about this - https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20748524977#post-1

This was changed when Blizzard wanted to nerf support characters - and made Calamity almost useless (or even harmful to use as it removes self-cast Marked for Deaths).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxR0zWrLQYA
(in German) shows some testing that was done, with 2.4.1 prenerf compared to 2.4.2. The only rune that was usable after the nerf was Valley of Death.

Really, if Blizzard had made it apply the mark before the damage it would still be usable in solo while still meeting their goal of reducing DH group support abilities.

reduce support eh? . . . . . hmm . . . . . zbarb, pull barb, znec, and zmonk all come to mind. and all are nearly required in one form of content or another. So in general blizzard fashion they just removed one potential option to pigeon hole us into the others.
And I have a zDH that still uses MfD, and still multiplies damage far more than the specific build required to use the Calamity is capable of...
Calamity nerf was part of a "balance" patch that was supposed to balance group play without inflicting nerfs on solo players.

Didn't work out so much for solo players.

Yet another ding on WC's credibility. I don't trust a thing that guy says anymore.
I just subscribe to the cynical view that the devs don't actually like the DH class and have consistently gone out of their way to keep them bland and underpowered. :(
Blizzard were afraid zdh was gonna take over (lol), so they desperately nerfed a bunch of stuff. Fear narrows the mind, eapecially the weak mind.
I am not 100% sure why Calamity is bad (I just know that Calamity is not a good weapon), but wasn't the reason why it is bad that the MfD proc it applies on enemies is additive and not multiplicative, which makes its damage bonus basically insignificant? But of course I could be wrong with that...