Need to vent.

General Discussion
My friends have been playing Diablo III and really wanted me to join so on Sunday (3 days ago) I decided to purchase the game. Really new to the series I typed in Diablo and bought the first one to come up. My friends are all level 70 and wanted me to join them. I know, I know power-leveling isn't the way to enjoy the game and it will ruin all aspects.

I just want to play with my friends.

So they run me through the story and I gain a ton of experience in the process. Now we finish act 4 to find that act 5 isn't available. I found out I bought the wrong version. This sucks.

I contact customer service and they tell me that it isn't possible for them to refund me because I passed the threshold (I am level 49) of no returns.

I ask what the threshold is and the customer representative said that they can't disclose that information. I just bought the game for $25 3 days ago and now I have to pay another $25 for the expansion. When I could have gotten the $37 Battle Chest.

I understand that the customer service representatives are just following protocol and doing their job. I understand and respect that.

I know what you're thinking - It's not that much money and I should suck it up and just pay it. I could use all the money I could get, it's the principle. 3 days ago I could have just payed $37 for the game+expansion but now I have to pay $50 for a game that came out in 2012.

Do I have the right to be angry?
No. You should be happy.
It is kinda your fault for blindly purchasing just the vanilla version when you have resources (your friends) that could have advised you.

Take this as a lesson to always search for better deals then simply buying the first thing you see.

Welcome to Diablo 3 I hope this does not sour your experience.
This is bad customer service. After only 3 days there should be a way to upgrade to the bundle.
On the bright side: at least they introduced themselves honestly. They don't care for their customers and they showed it right off the bat.
Less than a month ago the game and expansion was on sale at about half price (which they regularly are). Does that make you angry too?
You can probably get the expansion in its box form (for its code) and simply activate it on your account for cheaper than through Blizzard directly. Likely somewhere between 10-15 bucks.

Keep in mind that those of us that been playing since release have paid as much as 40-60 for both the vanilla and then it subsequent expansion, not to mention as much as another 15 for the Necromancer pack.

So.... There's that. I think I'm into this game for $135, just for one copy. That doesn't include a second copy that I play, a keyfob security device, a few transactions back on the AH, a huge desktop mousepad, and a number of other things.

So... Getting all of it for the price of just one game really isn't that bad if you think about it. It sucks but honestly its about research.

Now.

That being said, being that you only had the game a couple days, those tightwads at Blizzard could have offered an upgrade deal and fixed the situation as well. But apparently those with that sort of decision making ability no longer exist or they truly don't care. Or don't think beyond the base answer material.

(this is a problem with customer service in general for many business I find, but I digress)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Game on.
In my opinion, at this point they should just get rid of the D3 vanilla and just offer the battle chest edition or allow folks who own vanilla to upgrade to RoS at the cost of the difference between battle chest and vanilla.
Terrible they can't accommodate you. It's not like you're asking for your money back.

Perhaps MissCheetah can help advise what options you may have. Or maybe even contact them again and speak to a Manager.
01/22/2019 05:31 PMPosted by Jazz
Less than a month ago the game and expansion was on sale at about half price (which they regularly are). Does that make you angry too?

I know, I bought a copy for my oldest son to play. Cost me 20 for the Battle Chest and another 10 for Necro. 30 bucks for the same game I paid 135 for. lol

But I wasn't upset by it. I was more pissed that the Battle Chest just doesn't include it all to start with. To me, THAT'S dumb, but whatever.
The fact that they still sell the version without the xpac is ridiculous.
01/22/2019 06:06 PMPosted by Hops

They do this on purpose to scam people like the OP.
01/22/2019 06:13 PMPosted by EnkerZan

It's not a nefarious scam. Providing a low cost product ($9.99-$19.99) that includes only the base game is a good option for new players who only want to try out the game and have a little fun but don't necessarily want to pay full price for the additional content.
01/22/2019 06:13 PMPosted by EnkerZan

Alert! Improper use of the word "scam" detected.

I mean, it's not as if the bundle is hidden or they still advertise D3 as a standalone product.

OP is a victim of his own naivete/laziness. If he'd spend 2 minutes looking or asked one of those friends he wanted to play with he'd have avoided the whole problem.
I can see it from both sides really. They offer both products and have for some time (I assume), so I can see where it was on you. However, they could also just upgrade you and refund you the difference in no time at all.

Just go slower next time, my advice
Pay more attention on your purchases, double check everything before finishing the payment.

In my opinion it is your fault.
Its wort iT, enjoy
You should be angry. Why are they still selling a practically obsolete version of the game? They should really just sell the Battle Chest to new D3 customers.
01/22/2019 05:12 PMPosted by LightRider
It is kinda your fault for blindly purchasing just the vanilla version when you have resources (your friends) that could have advised you.

Take this as a lesson to always search for better deals then simply buying the first thing you see.

Welcome to Diablo 3 I hope this does not sour your experience.

It would be like Microsoft providing an option to buy obsolete Windows XP for a cheaper price than the still supported Windows 7 to someone who has never used a computer before!
https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/family/diablo-iii

There are 3 things that all say D3. What kind of a person is in such a hurry they buy the first thing they see without even looking?

Not to mention anyone who has bought a videogame in the last decade knows you get different things at different price points and would want to see what was in each version.

Not only are you incredibly impulsive but this must be your first time buying any game ever.
01/22/2019 05:19 PMPosted by Wullack
This is bad customer service. After only 3 days there should be a way to upgrade to the bundle.

Ya buy paying for it.. he bought what he bought end of story