I don't like sets

General Discussion
I've been playing for couple of years now and every time I lvl a new character I find it more fun to run with legendaries then running with sets.

Reason behind this is simple, when you have 13 slots you have 13 options for your skills and it's huge variety of builds where with 6 piece sets you're limiting your character to few builds (with 1-2 different skills) but you get less variety.

If we take IK set to fully benefit it we'll need to pick 2 skills and in some sets you have to pick 3-4 skills to benefit from it fully. It's essentially forcing a player to pick this and that skill to compete where with legendaries you can basically do whatever you want to. This is why this freedom is enjoyable experience for me when leveling and I get loads of different options to choose from.

I think that 6 piece sets are bit too much as it takes half of your items away for 2 mandatory skills and instead we could have smaller sets like 2-3 items which give more variety.

I know I can always run without sets but it's not the point. The point is that in order to compete I'll have to limit my gear and my playstyle by running with sets. Also sets get a balance changes where legendaries don't...like they're forgotten.
I think that sets especially those 6 piece sets hurt the game
optimal builds would emerge either way...and there would be a consensus on what buffs and skills are the best to use....sets just make it readily apparent as opposed to the community deciding for themselves and complaining that x or y skill has no use because its not strong enough
I don't love them either, but I remember pre-sets in vanilla, DH only really had one decent DPS choice. Hungering Arrow-Spray of teeth, and Elemental arrow-Ball lightning. Only piece of gear that mattered was getting a Manticore with 2 sockets, most of the legendaries didnt have effects like they do now, or the effects they had were mostly useless. What we have now is at least a step up from Vanilla.
Agreed. This is one reason I'm looking forward to the patch (and disappointed with the delay) - the LoN buff will really boost a non-meta playstyle. Sure, still won't be topping the leaderboards choosing skills and legendaries based on what seems fun or looks cool... but I'm not going to be doing that anyway.
I agree with your point, I am looking forward to the next patch so I can play some LoN builds, but the same happened a few years ago but talking about set items being very weak compared to non-set items...
In other words, if they buff non-set items ou nerf set items, people will be complaning that set items could be more useful, and then the loop goes on between set lovers and non-set lovers.
The fact that In the next patch we can make LoN useful again is the most balanced we will probably have between set and non-set items.
I have a different solution. I have 2 of each class in sc. Working on getting them all full ancients. I level gems and farm with my ww barb. Get gems above 55 with my hota barb, WW gets squishy but, I hear its getting a buff. Each toon uses a seperate set and my season toon tries out leggo builds between seasons. Oh and I have 2 hc toons also.
I've been saying this for ages. After playing POE again this season, Diablo 3's forced sets make me lose any motivation to play Diablo 3 again.
It's not really any different in other games. Even with the vast freedom PoE has, every build has 3-4 uniques you must have to make it function properly. Sure you have more variance but you also have a ton of dead items at end game as well.

I don't mind sets, I just wish they included a couple more skills on each set and fixed them to be competitive.
By using set items I jumped 3 tournament levels. Works for me.
01/09/2019 05:09 PMPosted by Norbert
I've been playing for couple of years now and every time I lvl a new character I find it more fun to run with legendaries then running with sets.

The beauty of Diablo III Is that you're free to play however you want.

Enjoy!
They should just slap the LoN effect on all sets to all skills that are not involved with the specific set that you're wearing so that you could customize your bar a bit and still output damage.
Sets are egregiously OP in D3 compared to legendaries. Rares are completely useless.

I like the idea of sets, but the execution could have been better. IMO, sets, legendaries, and well-rolled rares ought to be competitive.
01/09/2019 05:19 PMPosted by XS3NIGMA
optimal builds would emerge either way...and there would be a consensus on what buffs and skills are the best to use....sets just make it readily apparent as opposed to the community deciding for themselves and complaining that x or y skill has no use because its not strong enough

The problem is not that some builds are better than others, that only becomes a problem when some builds are significantly stronger than other, more averagely powerful builds, which is the case that we have right now in D3, where builds that are supported by 6piece sets are several hundred times (or several ten thousands of percentage points) stronger than average (LoN) builds.

If the power gap between top builds and average builds is not too significant, than many players wouldn't have such a huge problem with playing a suboptimal build if they for some reason prefer that suboptimal build over a top build.

For example the best builds may be builds that someone does not really like, but when his favorite build is not significantly weaker then the best builds, that player would be okay with playing his favorite build, even if it is not optimal. However, if the gap is too big, it would become frustrating because the best builds are so much more efficient than the players favorite build, which basically makes the best builds mandatory.
I love it! helps if your partner likes to get a bit funky though
01/09/2019 05:22 PMPosted by Flansy
I don't love them either, but I remember pre-sets in vanilla, DH only really had one decent DPS choice. Hungering Arrow-Spray of teeth, and Elemental arrow-Ball lightning. Only piece of gear that mattered was getting a Manticore with 2 sockets, most of the legendaries didnt have effects like they do now, or the effects they had were mostly useless. What we have now is at least a step up from Vanilla.

Indeed it is a step up from vanilla, but not really into a good direction either.

What we have now in RoS is that items determine your build, which means the build you are playing is primarily determined by sets that only buff some very specific skills with insanely high multipliers and legendaries that amplify this even further with more multipliers to very specific skills, which leads to everyone basically being funneled into the same default builds.

It would have been better if items enhance your build instead of determining it, which means that sets and legendaries should have more generic buffs and special affixes like for example chance to cast Meteor on attack, or pull enemies together on attack, chance to cast Ignore Pain when being hit, etc, which are more useful to a wide arrange of builds, instead of very specific bonuses like Hammer of the Ancients deals 800% increased damage, which is only useful for HotA builds.

With more 'generic' legendaries you would be much more free to create the build with the skills you really want to play with, instead of being funneled into a very specific build with very specific skills.
Yay? Well, I don't like reggae.