Potions

General Discussion
The QOL for potions doesnt seem to work.. they still take up space unless only 1 potion can go in
ya its weird alright.. you can load all your potions into the potion list, but each time you change the potion the previously selected one pops back into the inventory. And they only stay in the list while you have them in your backpack.

And to get them back out of the list you select the one you want out, and then select the base potion to make the desired one pop back out to your inventory

Unless you are planning on juggling potions like a boss in the dungeons, The only advantage to the new feature i can see, is that if you equip one of your potions, it temporarily frees up that one slot in your backpack.
Only one pointion can go in the belt. That potion will not take up space in your character inventory. Working as intended.
01/15/2019 08:42 PMPosted by Klorel
if you equip one of your potions, it temporarily frees up that one slot in your backpack.

You thought it would do something else?
They probably could've rephrased it to:

The currently selected Legendary potion for use is no longer stored in player inventory and can be accessed or changed by right-clicking on the potion icon in the action bar
This potion change is not working how I understood it to work based on prior explantations of the change that I read on this forum. I'll have to play with it a bit more to see if I'm just doing something wrong.
Not much to play with.

The potion you are using is stored in the belt slot itself. This isn't like keystones and crafting materials. Only the one potion is taken out of stash, the QoL change being that to use it you no longer have to carry it around in your character's backpack.

If you want to use that particular potion on another character, you have to drag it out of the belt and put it back into stash, then drag it onto the belt of the other character, where it will then be stored.

This isn't rocket science, guys, it's pretty easy to get a handle on.
Yeah, I gotta say the wording and functionality don't really jive with each other. Hopefully down the road it is clarified or tweaked to be able to store more than one potion so you don't have to keep others in the inventory to switch out.

Until then, just think of it as a simplistic "pop your potion on the bar and enjoy the extra freed inventory square" QoL change.
01/15/2019 08:29 PMPosted by Reeselover3
The QOL for potions doesnt seem to work.. they still take up space unless only 1 potion can go in

it is a bug and had already been reported during ptr....of course they ignored it..
01/16/2019 01:12 AMPosted by Cobaltus
This potion change is not working how I understood it to work based on prior explantations of the change that I read on this forum. I'll have to play with it a bit more to see if I'm just doing something wrong.

This right here.

10 potions in my stash. There should be a flyout with any potion I want to have active at the time. Simple.

Why can Blizz not get anything right.
You are misunderstanding what the change actually was. The potion slot is an equip slot now. You now EQUIP one potion to use and that potion doesn't take up the space in the inventory now.

Its not bugged, working as it was intended.
01/16/2019 07:58 AMPosted by Dragonmaster
You are misunderstanding what the change actually was. The potion slot is an equip slot now. You now EQUIP one potion to use and that potion doesn't take up the space in the inventory now.

This.

You all expected a fly-out, but the problem with that, they would have to revamp all the potions so the ones that have a variable would then no longer be variable.

Keep the potions you want to have available in the stash, drag and drop the one you want to remove to the potion slot, or drag it out to use it on another character. But the way it is now still allows you to find better versions of the potion and change them out.
Sounds like people just want to switch potions on the fly but the QoL change has nothing to do with that.
01/16/2019 08:17 AMPosted by DTMAce
01/16/2019 07:58 AMPosted by Dragonmaster

This.

You all expected a fly-out, but the problem with that, they would have to revamp all the potions so the ones that have a variable would then no longer be variable.

Keep the potions you want to have available in the stash, drag and drop the one you want to remove to the potion slot, or drag it out to use it on another character. But the way it is now still allows you to find better versions of the potion and change them out.

It already has a flyout, but only one potion shows up. We aren't misunderstanding anything. Quit making excuses for Blizz. They can't make anything work how it should with any common sense anymore.
01/16/2019 08:28 AMPosted by DonMartin
01/16/2019 08:17 AMPosted by DTMAce

This.

It already has a flyout, but only one potion shows up. We aren't misunderstanding anything. Quit making excuses for Blizz. They can't make anything work how it should with any common sense anymore.

I guess what I find odd, is it works exactly as I expected to. But whatever.
People switch potions on the fly? Seriously? As a casual player I'm a bit baffled. I personally always had just one legendary potion with my character and now it no longer takes inventory space.

As stated, the potion icon on the action bar is now an equipment slot, solely used for potions. This is one of the numerous QoL additions people have been asking for long time.

I do agree the wording in the patch notes is a bit misleading. It's not a storage for all of your potions, just for single one you're currently using.

This feature was unexpected addition on the PTR, back then it was not mentioned in the patch notes. As such I already knew what to expect when the patch went live. It worked on the PTR as intended, on live servers it still does.
I guess what some people thought was going to happen was to share the same potion between multiple characters while that potions is stored in the stash tabs. Pick it up from the stash tab and pop it into the tool belt, but it stays in the stash.

However, checking the wording on the S16 Preview page, it appears to be working as intended. So, no sharing potions between characters. Only one potion per character still.
You can still technically share it, just "unequip" the potion and put it in stash and have other other pull it from stash and equip it.
01/16/2019 01:39 AMPosted by Slamboney
Not much to play with.

The potion you are using is stored in the belt slot itself. This isn't like keystones and crafting materials. Only the one potion is taken out of stash, the QoL change being that to use it you no longer have to carry it around in your character's backpack.

If you want to use that particular potion on another character, you have to drag it out of the belt and put it back into stash, then drag it onto the belt of the other character, where it will then be stored.

You see, that's the thing. That was not the explanation of the change (with multiple upvotes) that I read on this forum. It said that your potions all stayed in your shared stash the entire time even if you drag one over to your potion button so that you could use the exact same potion on multiple characters. I deleted all of my duplicate potions in preparation for that supposed change, saving only the best one of each, and I now wish that I hadn't.

EDIT: Yes, I can unequip a potion on one character, move it back to shared stash, and then reequip it on another character each time, but that's less convenient than just having each character have his/her own copy of a potion like I did before. Next time, I'll wait until a patch goes live to see how a change works rather than just trusting what others post here about it.
01/16/2019 11:47 AMPosted by Cobaltus
01/16/2019 01:39 AMPosted by Slamboney
Not much to play with.

You see, that's the thing. That was not the explanation of the change (with multiple upvotes) that I read on this forum. It said that your potions all stayed in your shared stash the entire time even if you drag one over to your potion button so that you could use the exact same potion on multiple characters. I deleted all of my duplicate potions in preparation for that supposed change, saving only the best one of each, and I now wish that I hadn't.

EDIT: Yes, I can unequip a potion on one character, move it back to shared stash, and then reequip it on another character each time, but that's less convenient than just having each character have his/her own copy of a potion like I did before. Next time, I'll wait until a patch goes live to see how a change works rather than just trusting what others post here about it.

I just always had one of each potion, just like I have one of each leg gem. Rather than have to have a whole bunch leveled up for each character, I just swap them around. Less to store, less to mess with. Then I only have to level gems to augment with. I do have one of each potion. Those with variable stats I swap out only if a new potion has a higher stat. Most are nearly at max now.

I think it would have been better to have the potions setup like your cubed items. You add them to the cube, then can select them from any character. Once and done. Naturally you would have to find them again during each season, but that's it.

But that apparently is harder than simply creating an equipment slot in the "belt" and allow you to interchange them like any other piece of gear.

I don't mind it that way, but that's me. At least I now have that one single square emptied in my stash that I often wanted to keep Rift stones on top of just to satisfy my orderly side.

Game on.