Is this the main problem of Blizzard?

General Discussion
Activision Gives $15 Million to New CFO While Making Their Developers Cut Costs.

Are they pursuing quantity over quality in order to pay more to their Suits while reducing costs and time to develop games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4qegmGoLo
$15 mil to be a CFO of a company the size of Activision-Blizzard seems kind of low actually.

Sorry but I don't understand your issue, Activision-Blizzard is a multi BILLION dollar stock holding company and the CFO should make that kind of money.

reading on it here, that is a 1-time signing bonus mostly in stocks which makes sense.
He is making less than a million a year ( 1.35 target based on performance ) plus bonuses.

CFO of a company this sized should make about 10x that.

"nteractive chart of historical net worth (market cap) for Activision Blizzard (ATVI) over the last 10 years. How much a company is worth is typically represented by its market capitalization, or the current stock price multiplied by the number of shares outstanding. Activision Blizzard net worth as of January 11, 2019 is $35.51B."

source : https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/ATVI/activision-blizzard/net-worth
so 15 mil is pocket change
01/14/2019 08:40 PMPosted by Soma
$15 mil to be a CFO of a company the size of Activision-Blizzard seems kind of low actually.

Sorry but I don't understand your issue, Activision-Blizzard is a multi BILLION dollar stock holding company and the CFO should make that kind of money.

reading on it here, that is a 1-time signing bonus mostly in stocks which makes sense.
He is making less than a million a year ( 1.35 target based on performance ) plus bonuses.

"nteractive chart of historical net worth (market cap) for Activision Blizzard (ATVI) over the last 10 years. How much a company is worth is typically represented by its market capitalization, or the current stock price multiplied by the number of shares outstanding. Activision Blizzard net worth as of January 11, 2019 is $35.51B."

source : https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/ATVI/activision-blizzard/net-worth

Just what the video and you'll see my point.

So how much you get paid to work for Activision?

Do you sleep next to a picture of Bobby?

Shouldn't you getting back to work?

Yet they're cutting costs and sacrificing product quality while bolting several nickle and diming mechanisms to their games because logic? I mean, if they have the means to massively overpay one of these executive morons while underpaying their developers and artists, then why the hell are they always crying about games being too damn expensive to make to rationalize all their profiteering BS? There simply is no excuse for that sort of mismanagement, let alone the needless excess it thrives on.
01/14/2019 09:35 PMPosted by SimpleDave

Admittedly, if those amounts are right, he's right. That amount is 0.000004% of the company's net worth...

I do still agree that cutting developers is a rather stupid move, though. IF it was done to pay the CFO this bonus. Which is uncertain.
All of this is the product of a turbulent stock market. Sure, bad decisions have been made, but it all points to one thing. How many companies does ATVI oversee? Investors react to the quarterly reports and the stock prices, along with their pockets. They could care less about the products being made.

I ask that people refrain from posting the business topics side of the company and focus on the games. That is, after all, what these forums are for. If you want to talk about the stock or anything business related, please go to the stock's forum page and not the actual company's page. Topics such as this have no place on a gaming forum.
01/14/2019 09:35 PMPosted by SimpleDave

Nice work attacking the person rather than addressing the post. Still, you're called "SimpleDave" for a reason, aren't you?

Soma is pretty much spot on, the total package listed is OK with respect to normal market rates for a CFO of a company that size.

In fact the sub $1M base pay might be considered "low" by some -- though this is good because these executives deserve to be rewarded based on performance rather than outrageous fixed remuneration. So that would be a 'tick' if you're a shareholder.

This has nothing to do with cutting developer numbers or Diablo: Immortal. Blizzard has made tons of mistakes with respect to this franchise, but this story about a CFO getting paid (wow, really?) is a beat-up.

01/14/2019 09:49 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
Yet they're cutting costs and sacrificing product quality while bolting several nickle and diming mechanisms to their games because logic? I mean, if they have the means to massively overpay one of these executive morons while underpaying their developers and artists, then why the hell are they always crying about games being too damn expensive to make to rationalize all their profiteering BS? There simply is no excuse for that sort of mismanagement, let alone the needless excess it thrives on.

Agree with you on Blizzard sacrificing product quality.

Disagree that this CFO is overpaid.

Disagree also that the two things are related.

The board sets the pay for the CFO. The employees of the company set the direction of the games/products that they publish.

Also - you do realize some of the stupidest decisions in D3 were made by the developers? Who are you to say they are underpaid?
They're adding developers, not cutting them.

They're cutting unnecessary costs.

The $15m is contingent on performance and is over more than one year.

They just lost two CFOs. Perhaps they don't want to lose another one.

Also YongYea used to be good but now all he does is outrage videos because they generate more views/revenue for him.
No one should get paid 15million just to show up, ever. Glorious capitalism. (Obvious exceptions being founders, inventors, creators etc. If you do the work you deserve the payout, not the other way around)

From an outsiders perspective this is looking more and more like what happened to Sears. The elite few helping each other to whatever they want while the ship sinks and everyone else drowns.

Maybe, just maybe corporations wouldn't have to penny pinch they're working staff and ignore quality for quantity if they didn't spend so much putting value on a title.
If the CFO was paid less all it means is the company/shareholders make more. It doesn't mean other employees would suddenly make more or the company wouldn't look to cut unnecessary spending.

Nice work attacking the person rather than addressing the post. Still, you're called "SimpleDave" for a reason, aren't you?

Soma is pretty much spot on, the total package listed is OK with respect to normal market rates for a CFO of a company that size.

In fact the sub $1M base pay might be considered "low" by some -- though this is good because these executives deserve to be rewarded based on performance rather than outrageous fixed remuneration. So that would be a 'tick' if you're a shareholder.

[/quote]

I am simple enough to understand that Blizzard is a sinking ship and all the rats are busy paying themselves off while they make cash grabs/microtransaction/loot boxes instead of focusing on actually making great games.

Not much more needs to be said.
Serious question:

Why are you folks concerned about who makes what money at Blizzard? I've never seen so many people worried about other people's paychecks in a multi-billion dollar company.

I'm more concerned about teachers in California than a bunch of computer programmers at a gaming company.

And if game quality is the issue, news flash, every gaming company in the world is moving to microtransactions because gamers have come to expect it. You can just look at this forum for the proof. Every other day there's a new thread about how Blizzard could monetize this game and inevitably there are tons of post about how "I'll pay for this" or "I'll pay for that".

So I say, either play video games or don't but quit whining about it because it's your decision.

The gaming industry is changing. Me personally, if it gets to the point that I'm buying items whether cosmetic or otherwise then I'll just say good-bye to gaming. It's an easier choice than wishing gaming "to go back to how it used to be."
News flash!

People aren't mad execs are making money.

People mad cause execs are only taking the money and not actually making great games for PC.

Duh!

This is no longer a great gaming company so why are execs taking all that money instead of investing it in GAME DEVELOPMENT. Get it?
01/15/2019 01:54 PMPosted by SimpleDave
News flash!

People aren't mad execs are making money.

People mad cause execs are only taking the money and not actually making great games for PC.

Duh!

This is no longer a great gaming company so why are execs taking all that money instead of investing it in GAME DEVELOPMENT. Get it?

Execs don't make the games, the devs make the games and the devs for this game -- well nobody knows what they were thinking.
01/14/2019 08:37 PMPosted by Chipoodle
Activision Gives $15 Million to New CFO While Making Their Developers Cut Costs.

Are they pursuing quantity over quality in order to pay more to their Suits while reducing costs and time to develop games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4qegmGoLo

Well, here's the problem. If they don't make money, they don't have money. If they continue to make these knee-jerk decisions and putting out unsatisfactory products, the only inevitable outcome is that they go belly up.
Most game companies have centered their time and effort to produce excesive money, while forgetting the main thing: making quality games. Since a CFO gain more money than a programmer/designer/software architect there is a huge problem.

There's an interesting fact: while game industry is suffering from a stock market crash, releasing bad mediocre products and reinforcing its excecutive staff, indie developmemt is booming, releasing many good Quality original profitable games. Why?
01/17/2019 03:37 AMPosted by Chipoodle
Most game companies have centered their time and effort to produce excesive money, while forgetting the main thing: making quality games. Since a CFO gain more money than a programmer/designer/software architect there is a huge problem.

There's an interesting fact: while game industry is suffering from a stock market crash, releasing bad mediocre products and reinforcing its excecutive staff, indie developmemt is booming, releasing many good Quality original profitable games. Why?

why? because they only have one product to work on and they don't have backings from investors and they can take their time. it's not always the case (looking at you, no mans' sky) but i think that when the parent company (in this case, Activision) is basically strongarming the developer (Blizzard Entertainment) because they have the backers and the money - priorities shift.

That's just the nature of things when money is involved and unrealistic demands are being forced to be fulfilled.
People defending greedy companies saying that this is nothing while these money could have been spent improving games = happy costumers = higher stocks.

People telling me that i am the definition for toxic masculinity because i dont want a free microtransaction diablo on a small mobile screen.

Racists telling me that i should be accountable for what other people of my race is doing.

Gilette telling me that i should be accountable for what psycho director men are doing.

This is not only a small part of the humanity, id say a giant majority of the humans today fit in one of those lines.

Is this a sign of the Fermi paradox? Are we humans nearing the wall?
01/17/2019 04:57 AMPosted by Windfire
People telling me that i am the definition for toxic masculinity because i dont want a free microtransaction diablo on a small mobile screen.

We don't know anything about microtransactions yet and I don't see how one has to do with the other. There's a difference between saying "I don't want this game" and "this game shouldn't exist! F you, Blizzard".

Racists telling me that i should be accountable for what other people of my race is doing.

Racists can go burn to a crisp.

Gilette telling me that i should be accountable for what psycho director men are doing.

Considering all that has happened with the MeToo movement? yeah - a subtle reminder that somethings that were "accepted" in the past are not acceptable anymore, no matter your age or origin.

as far as being a good person? it's quite easy to pull off: be kind to others, do good and don't be a !%!!%#*#.

Also, i fail to see the relevance of this post in context of the general theme of the thread.