I wanna feel a rush when a super rare item drops

General Discussion
IMO some items should be very rare, I mean REALLY rare... to the point that you go crazy when it drops...

We get items way to fast way too easy, ancient items is just a better previous same item, primal ancient is a just a better previous same item... wich is kinda meh when you look at it from a farm-oriented game perspective.

why not add some category of items (could be charms from D2) and make the drop rate insanely low. A lot that makes this game good is the expectation of the next drop, that next item that will give you a giant boost and unlock new playstyles and dificulties...

I think the game would benefict a LOT from this type of thing.
Play D-Immortal. Good items are super rare by legit game play.

Do you have charge cards?
So you want items that only the bots will have?
01/17/2019 08:38 PMPosted by ImmortalKing
So you want items that only the bots will have?

There is a distinct difference between "so rare only bots that run 24/7" will see it and "lulz everything drops super frequently". Grim dawn managed to get it right. The awesome loot is rare but not borderlining impossible to ever see drop.

Maybe players should be willing to play the loot hunt in a loot hunt game and not expect only the finest loot within 2 weeks.
Bis gear being super rare causes competition to based solely on luck of the draw....

Say if 2-3 of the needed supporting items for any set were super rare, there would be a massive split between the top runners who had those items and the rest who made do with the seconds best choice.

It could work to make the best Lott hard to obtain but then the ladder has to go, the two concepts do not co-exist well
This is why I play seasons!! The endorphin rush you get on your first legendary, your first ancient. Leveling up using blues and yellows, with no rushes in sight. It great starting fresh w/ no paragon levels, alts, or stash to help.
01/17/2019 08:27 PMPosted by OPatrao
IMO some items should be very rare, I mean REALLY rare... to the point that you go crazy when it drops...

We get items way to fast way too easy, ancient items is just a better previous same item, primal ancient is a just a better previous same item... wich is kinda meh when you look at it from a farm-oriented game perspective.

why not add some category of items (could be charms from D2) and make the drop rate insanely low. A lot that makes this game good is the expectation of the next drop, that next item that will give you a giant boost and unlock new playstyles and dificulties...

I think the game would benefict a LOT from this type of thing.
Go play D2
Anytime you have a randomization system that allows for the distinct possibility that you will never succeed, you cannot introduce exceedingly rare items. With the randomization system the way it is in Diablo III, the more rare an item is, the larger the chances are you will never, ever find it.

The drop rates for the various strata of gear in this game are in a pretty good place. We have the chance to suffer through the horrible Primals in order to find one that's actually usable, and we have plenty enough materials after salvaging to take advantage of the various mechanisms that have been introduced to mitigate the horrible randomization system.

The only way exceedingly rare items in this game could work is if the game employed parametric randomization. Naturally, with exceedingly rare items, the parameter would be time played. There would have to be some amount of time played after which the exceedingly rare item would drop, guaranteed . Now, the danger with this system is that avid players, theorycrafters, and number-crunchers would be able to figure out pretty much what that time point is. Then they would be able to say, "Don't worry, after x number of hours your n item will drop.

But even so, there are other layers of randomization to deal with, so even if that exceedingly rare item did drop within your lifetime, there's no guarantee it would be anywhere close to usable.

So the itemization/randomization system in this game is what it is; it works, and things don't need to be any rarer than Primal.
Super rare drops would require complete and definite bot elimination or soul binding of some sort. If there's ever gonna be a not-irrelevant next Diablo game they'll need to figure it out one way or another. They won't.
01/17/2019 09:44 PMPosted by Nykion
This is why I play seasons!! The endorphin rush you get on your first legendary, your first ancient. Leveling up using blues and yellows, with no rushes in sight. It great starting fresh w/ no paragon levels, alts, or stash to help.

Couldn't agree more!
Making a key item rarer or even harder to reach by gambling simply would piss off casuals. For that to happen they should think of another endgame scenario or repair pub games, which I bet they won't.
Also there are rarer legendary items which requires tens of thousands shards to get from Kadala just once. That abundancy of legendary item rain was one of the reasons why they added item qualities like Ancient and Primals.
Grind cosmetics / pets
You want something super rare to find there's always the rainbow portrait the grind that comes with getting the staff of herding.

Then there's the cosmic wings if you want something even more rare.

Primals are already very rare and getting one that is what you want and has the stats you want is pretty minuscule odds.

In other words, the game already has what you're asking for.

Edit: PS charms in D2 sucked
The problem right now with having super rare drops is that a build is dependent on particular items and there isn't any intermediate gearing opportunities so that you basically have to have frequent drops.

If for instance I wanted a throw barb and rare items had the potential to come with bonus to range damage, bonus to weapon throw then the three hundredth spear could be a very rare item because a throw barb wasn't dependent on having that one particular item.

Also the itemization system as a whole (referring to magic/rare properties) doesn't facilitate ultra-rare items anymore, and previously (as well as now) doesn't have the diversity to make interesting yet sub-par items that could be frequently found while waiting on the perfect ultra rare combination. Things like primary stat are a problem, if you didn't get primary stat you are missing a whole lot and the range is so tight and the 4-2 system so restrictive that the potential for ultra rare items as well as frequent items of decent quality cannot exist.
I may get downvoted to hell for this, but if you want this feeling play Path of Exile.

D3 and PoE are very distinct in that sense.

D3 has a different type of gear progression where the excitement is in Perfecting your gear (i.e. primals), not getting your build going.

PoE items have build defining "OMG" drops that hype you up that are super rare.

This game has very different demographic from POE. I play both (although i play poe more) and enjoy both.

They both give different experiences.
Diablo 3 is an ARCADE game. If you would like to play games that have rare items it would be best to play an arpg type game. Nothing is rare in Diablo 3 because it is an arcade game. Diablo 3 Seasons literally hands you a complete set gear on a silver platter as if you're entitled to it like all the liberals out there.
Drop rates were insanely low in D3 when the vanilla version was first launched and it was clear nobody wanted items to be THAT rare. I think I was finding uniques/legendaries at a lower rate than in D2, which is saying a lot since D2's gameplay is far slower and you kill fewer monsters overall. I probably only found 3 legendaries in the dozens of hours I spent on vanilla and only 2 were on my own account.

I found a Denial and a Genzaniku (ie. USELESS) while I found a Stormshield in Act 2 on my friend's account, which I let him keep and he sold for millions of gold on the then-existing auction house market.
D2 has that. You could run for a year straight and finally maybe get a Zod rune for your BotD.

Personally, I don't want to play that much.
01/18/2019 11:59 AMPosted by Stinkyfinger
D2 has that. You could run for a year straight and finally maybe get a Zod rune for your BotD.

Personally, I don't want to play that much.
Or with D2 you can just buy the best gear for like $2. Thats the problem with D2, why bother when anyone can just spend a couple dollars and have the best gear.
RNG is already so bad why would you even consider that.