Blizz hires creative director of The Witcher 3

General Discussion
https://www.wowhead.com/news=289892/the-witcher-3s-creative-director-sebastian-st%C4%99pie%C5%84-transfers-to-blizzard-enterta

No indication what he’s working on, but it’s worth speculating whether or not they’d have identified a guy who has had recent massive dark fantasy success and just offered him the Diablo franchise. They obviously have no idea what to do with it but want to salvage the IP. I could see it, especially if the alleged projects from the Kotaku article were stalling out.

This guy wouldn’t have left CDProjektRed for something small.

Stępień worked as a dialogue writer, lead story designer, creative director, and narrative and settings director.

Let me dream!
Amazing. He really knows how to make an dark fantasy game.
01/23/2019 06:49 PMPosted by L0rdV1ct0r
Amazing. He really knows how to make an dark fantasy game.

My prayer is that Blizzard wrote him a blank check to save Diablo, but it is frankly great news for Blizzard no matter what he’s working on. I just really, really hope it’s Diablo.

There isn’t a single Blizzard franchise that wouldn’t be improved by his writing chops, but it’s hard to picture one that would benefit more than Diablo. I’d guess it’s either that or a new IP, but don’t know why he’d have to leave CDPR for a new IP.
01/23/2019 06:47 PMPosted by Shred
They obviously have no idea what to do with it but want to salvage the IP.

They'll waste his talent and water down his design choices, I expect nothing less from Blizzard anymore.

There was a job posting about unannouced Diablo project for Quest Design and it exactly stated "Knowledge of successful intellectual properties in dark fantasy and gothic horror genres, and the ability to speak to what made them successful"; guess that's what we are looking at.
https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/ovmB8fwk

Also if he has any idea on Witcher that may be a clue they still plan on a third person Diablo for a spin-off title. However if he ever tries to insist on his complex ideas, they'll toss him into WoW team at the first chance they get. I can see that.
I hope he’s our guy for the next Diablo PC title boys, keeping my fingers crossed!
01/23/2019 07:21 PMPosted by naksiloth
Also if he has any idea on Witcher that may be a clue they still plan on a third person Diablo for a spin-off title. However if he ever tries to insist on his complex ideas, they'll toss him into WoW team at the first chance they get. I can see that.

[/quote]

I will love to see an souls like spin off but i have some doubts like... How pet classes will gonna work?
Ugh. And OMFG

I'll be straight: I haven't been a fan of Blizzard stories for a long time. Wings of Liberty tickled me a bit, even with the awkward ret-con of Raynor and Kerrigan's relationship. But they have gameplay down (itemization and sometimes balance maybe not so much). You have to admit Diablo 3 feels great to play.

But the other thing holding their games back for me from being damn amazing is world-class storytelling.
01/23/2019 07:21 PMPosted by naksiloth
if he has any idea on Witcher that may be a clue they still plan on a third person Diablo for a spin-off title.

This would be my guess, but who knows. Maybe he'll try his hand at something more traditionally Diablo-esque but with his sense of world design and storytelling. Time will tell, I suppose.
If he's working on Diablo, that's great news for the franchise
D3's thematic tone, aesthetics, and storytelling are the least of its issues when it comes to multiplayer. The main issue is that Blizzard consistently strives to develop shallow games with a lot of hand holding in order to make them accessible and to entitle every player to experience all the content. In essence their games have become diminished versions of other successful formulas.

It's like going from playing and betting in texas hold 'em to playing and betting on a game of war. The fact they use the same cards and that they are both based on random outcomes is meaningless to the nuance of the deeper math game within poker.
https://www.wowhead.com/news=289892/the-witcher-3s-creative-director-sebastian-st%C4%99pie%C5%84-transfers-to-blizzard-enterta

Stępień worked as a dialogue writer, lead story designer, creative director, and narrative and settings director.

Let me dream!

Good person to hire. The best part of Witcher 3 is the story, and he is the story writer of witcher 3.

The dream ARPG would be
the story of Witcher 3+ the combat of D3+the dark theme of D2 + the itemization of PoE

just don't create a ARPG that is
the combat of Witcher 3 +the itemization of D3+a cartoon version of D2+ the graphic of PoE
Sounds very much like he's been hired for D4 / unannounced Diablo project.

As much as I would like to think he will be the one to fix up the creative design, I can see the powers higher up interfering with his work such that the game will be quite a mess as a result in terms of atmosphere and theme.
for something small

what you fail to understand is that he was just offered a better package. The witcher team has been well known to be offered really low remuneration packages and thus a lot of the devs there are looking elsewhere (inside info ;) )
01/23/2019 09:46 PMPosted by Hypersonic
Sounds very much like he's been hired for D4 / unannounced Diablo project.

As much as I would like to think he will be the one to fix up the creative design, I can see the powers higher up interfering with his work such that the game will be quite a mess as a result in terms of atmosphere and theme.

Possible. Though I still think he was probably given a pretty sick offer to leave CDPR.
At the end of the day, Blizzard will be judged for their next game. It will show us if they have learned anything or not.

Actions speak louder than words. Let us see their actions.

We've heard the "We hear you" and "we're trying to improve our communication" countless times already. It's time for action.
At this point in time, I'm actually MORE worried that Cyberpunk 2077 will suffer from this.
01/24/2019 01:59 AMPosted by Beliz
for something small

what you fail to understand is that he was just offered a better package. The witcher team has been well known to be offered really low remuneration packages and thus a lot of the devs there are looking elsewhere (inside info ;) )

Single handedly saved the Diablo franchise and Blizzards reputation as a respected game developer” would look great on the ol’ curriculum vitae! ;P
01/24/2019 07:49 AMPosted by TardarSauce
At this point in time, I'm actually MORE worried that Cyberpunk 2077 will suffer from this.

Pffff no.