Asking for help on my Cold Impale, SOLVED

Demon Hunter
Ok guys , I'll start by letting you know I am playing Non Season . I have made it to a 113 clear . But when trying for a 114 clear , it's total turn around . At this point I am getting eatin' up . I can't seem to position long enough to focus on Elites and Blues . Just getting smacked around , especially by elemental from elites and blues . Then I back away and hit trash enough to get life back up . Dying repeatedly as well .

My gear is solid for the most part . The only thing I can think of is that maybe my leg gems are too low . I think I am playing the build properly but something's just not right . I have better gear than a lot of guys that are 5 tiers above me . My paragon is now at 2600+ . I have checked profiles on the LB's and my gear is better than some and equivalent to some of the higher players builds .

I have adjusted paragon points every way possible in trying to achieve better survival but nothing is working at this point . My damage output seems enough , but I'm lacking in survival it seems . I have tried everything I can think of and it's not doing any good . At my paragon , and with the gear I have , there is no reason I can think of as to why I am not getting higher pushing .

Any tips or suggestions to improve my game and get me on my way to higher levels would be appreciated . Tips on proper play for this build would be appreciated too , as I am fairly new to this style of play . Here's my profile link and thanks in advance for any help .

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Haybaler-1911/hero/27390511
Your gear looks pretty good, but your vitality is a little bit low. Have tried to spend some paragon points into vitality instead of dex? This should help with getting one shotted all the time ...
01/29/2019 06:07 AMPosted by Hebalon
Your gear looks pretty good, but your vitality is a little bit low. Have tried to spend some paragon points into vitality instead of dex? This should help with getting one shotted all the time ...

Yep , I have adjusted many different ways . I currently have 563 points into vitality . My life pot has 900+ in it , as I think that should be enough . I have tried higher than that and still getting about the same result . I don't think it is the problem . I did a 113 clear with 750ish in life pot . Maybe I need more . I am new to this build so I'm just not sure . Thanks
Have you tried Leech passive? It benefits from the life on kill you have on some items - and from your high attack speed.
01/29/2019 06:55 AMPosted by Jazz
Have you tried Leech passive? It benefits from the life on kill you have on some items - and from your high attack speed.

No , but I can give it a try later . It's worth a shot I guess .
01/29/2019 07:04 AMPosted by Haybaler
01/29/2019 06:55 AMPosted by Jazz

No , but I can give it a try later . It's worth a shot I guess .

Leech works very well for me. With my lpk gear, i managed to get around 180k++ lph.

I'm in a similar clear like u having cleared 114, but with your additional paragons, you should be able to shoot for a few levels. Keep playing and you'd get there in no time.

My profile:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/TinyCat-6729/hero/82297631
Hey Hayb,

I suspect this is a playstyle issue for you, rather than your gear, which actually looks really nice. Since you're using PE, you need to focus on gathering more mob packs around you while you're attacking elites. A higher % of your GR clear will be from killing mobs compared to builds that use BoP instead.

If you're dying too much, I strongly suggest you try Leech passive, as Jazz already mentioned. This is an incredibly powerful mechanic for us, and if geared properly, can add a huge amount of toughness to your char. I've quoted this before from BigJohnasty's build on diablofans, but I'll use it again:

"Try to stack life after kill on chest, belt, pants, jewelry and weapon if possible. Life after kill works beautifully with this build. Shadow Power will add 50% of your life after kill to life on hit, the leech passive adds another 75%. Together you will have 125% of LoK as LoH. This is a huge gain in health recovery, allowing for safe passage while playing very aggressively."

An argument can be made that Leech can be even MORE effective with PE instead of BoP because of the crazy attack speeds that you can reach when standing in the middle of a mob pack, thus healing you even quicker. I find Awareness to be a bit of a crutch, and don't even bother with it, all it ever did was make me play too timidly after it went off, when I need to be more aggressive rather than less. Remember, if you're not Impaling, you're not generating LoH, thus leaving yourself vulnerable.

I would also consider swapping Wolf to Boar. Kindergarten and I have have discussed the limits of Wolf many times with respect to S6, it really only shines when you're timing it with your CoE cycle, and that can get dicey when you're in the middle of a sh!tstorm lol. Boar gives you a really nice 20% boost to all resist, something all us DH's are lacking. I noticed a big diff in my survivability after I switched over, and you specifically mentioned you don't think dps is your problem. You also get a nice taunt from the active portion of Boar as well.

All in all, you will need to fish more with PE vs BoP. You need large open maps with big density, like Festering and Battlefields. The Act II desert canyon maps can also be good, as well as the Spire and Hell maps. If you get any narrow corridor maps, prob best to just wipe and try again. You need to get well ahead of the timer because of the extra time needed to take down (most of) the RG.

Hope this helps.

P.S. There will always be certain elite affixes that you're just not going to be able to tank. I've yet to be able to survive those @#$%&*! arcane beams, and frozen pulses give me fits as well. A lot of this will come down to your resist levels, including secondaries.
01/29/2019 07:36 AMPosted by xxMaverickxx
Hey Hayb,

I suspect this is a playstyle issue for you, rather than your gear, which actually looks really nice. Since you're using PE, you need to focus on gathering more mob packs around you while you're attacking elites. A higher % of your GR clear will be from killing mobs compared to builds that use BoP instead.

If you're dying too much, I strongly suggest you try Leech passive, as Jazz already mentioned. This is an incredibly powerful mechanic for us, and if geared properly, can add a huge amount of toughness to your char. I've quoted this before from BigJohnasty's build on diablofans, but I'll use it again:

"Try to stack life after kill on chest, belt, pants, jewelry and weapon if possible. Life after kill works beautifully with this build. Shadow Power will add 50% of your life after kill to life on hit, the leech passive adds another 75%. Together you will have 125% of LoK as LoH. This is a huge gain in health recovery, allowing for safe passage while playing very aggressively."

An argument can be made that Leech can be even MORE effective with PE instead of BoP because of the crazy attack speeds that you can reach when standing in the middle of a mob pack, thus healing you even quicker. I find Awareness to be a bit of a crutch, and don't even bother with it, all it ever did was make me play too timidly after it went off, when I need to be more aggressive rather than less. Remember, if you're not Impaling, you're not generating LoH, thus leaving yourself vulnerable.

I would also consider swapping Wolf to Boar. Kindergarten and I have have discussed the limits of Wolf many times with respect to S6, it really only shines when you're timing it with your CoE cycle, and that can get dicey when you're in the middle of a sh!tstorm lol. Boar gives you a really nice 20% boost to all resist, something all us DH's are lacking. I noticed a big diff in my survivability after I switched over, and you specifically mentioned you don't think dps is your problem. You also get a nice taunt from the active portion of Boar as well.

All in all, you will need to fish more with PE vs BoP. You need large open maps with big density, like Festering and Battlefields. The Act II desert canyon maps can also be good, as well as the Spire and Hell maps. If you get any narrow corridor maps, prob best to just wipe and try again. You need to get well ahead of the timer because of the extra time needed to take down (most of) the RG.

Hope this helps.

P.S. There will always be certain elite affixes that you're just not going to be able to tank. I've yet to be able to survive those @#$%&*! arcane beams, and frozen pulses give me fits as well. A lot of this will come down to your resist levels, including secondaries.

Wow , this is some good stuff xxMaverickxx . Thanks
And thanks Jazz , TinyCat and Hebalon also

One last question , Do I want to engage directly or do I want to Stay back a ways and fire impale from a short distance ?

It seems to hit harder when engaging aggressively , but when I do I cant stand up to all the damages including physical from even some of the trash mixed in there . I'm hitting hard enough but just not able to stay in the fight long enough to take em out before they start taking me down . I will try the leech and see if that helps .

As for achieving better gears talked about having Life Per Kill , well that's gonna take a while . It's hard enough just getting the gear itself , and then to get em with perfected rolls is really difficult . I will try to improve on Life Per Kill on gears , but that is gonna take a while I would imagine . Right now I just want to get the most out of what I got . I know it's capable of going higher , just hope I can .

Anyways , I will try out some stuff mentioned . It makes sense to me .

Thanks
Yes, ideally you want to be standing right in the mob and wailing away at them, using the AD rolls on your gear to spread the Impale damage around. The best situation is when you get in an Oculus circle and are surrounded and you watch everything go boom during your Cold cycle. :)

Also you might want to reroll the AS on your KP to AD. Getting well above 100% AD is extremely desirable while running PE, and you don't need any extra AS as you go through the rift.
01/29/2019 06:21 PMPosted by xxMaverickxx
Yes, ideally you want to be standing right in the mob and wailing away at them, using the AD rolls on your gear to spread the Impale damage around. The best situation is when you get in an Oculus circle and are surrounded and you watch everything go boom during your Cold cycle. :)

Also you might want to reroll the AS on your KP to AD. Getting well above 100% AD is extremely desirable while running PE, and you don't need any extra AS as you go through the rift.

It's all good , I have the best of both worlds . 2 nights ago I was farming DB's and buying daggers so I could try for primal KP . after about 60 daggers I rolled primal on my very last dagger I was gonna do . Then , after that I started playing the game and another Primal KP Dropped ... Lucky Me ! Anyway , I rolled one with AS and the other AD . I will give that a go pretty soon .

I am gonna work on getting Life after Kill on a couple more pieces before I try to go higher . I put on a couple of pieces that weren't very good (Travlers Ammy and Not so great COE) that had Life After Kill on my character , and went for a test spin on a tier 105 . And I noticed good improvement . My chest and pants have it on them . Was also running Leech passive .

I think you guys got me steered in the right direction , all I need is to get the gears that I need . Easier said than done ,,, LOL . You guys were spot on and I thank you for taking the time with your explanations as to how all this works . Much appreciated .
The high leaderboard places in EU season seem to use Numbing Traps and BoTP (together with Gogok and Trapped of course) which gives good damage reduction. They also focus on AS and not on AD.
Since you don't play season you don't get the benefit of up to 80% cold damage.
I think it gets to a point where the only thing that helps progression is rift hunting.

Spending hundreds of keys looking for the perfect rift.

The rift will have to have a conduit pylon with 3-4 elites killed during conduit, a power pylon which is saved for the boss even if you have tp out the rift and re-enter floor 1 and a speed/shield pylon where you take out at least 2 elites.

You also need a rift where you don't take too much damage, the way I evaluate that is by counting in my head 1,2,3,4 before jumping out with a 1 or 2 count you aren't going to be able to do enough damage to complete the rift (die and leave rift retry), with a 3/4 count you try keep up with the progress bar until you find pylons.

Play aggressively before awareness is popped then passively while its cooling down unless you are under the effect of a pylon or feeling brave.

Skip/drag juggernauts unless you have a pylon effect.

Try and take out small packs of good xp mobs if you keeping up with the timer no real point in elite hunting.
might i suggest rolling some of your enchantress gear to cdr and ias. every little bit helps.
01/30/2019 04:53 AMPosted by shingO
might i suggest rolling some of your enchantress gear to cdr and ias. every little bit helps.

Hasn't it been discussed that CDR doesn't work on followers (anymore)?
01/30/2019 05:44 AMPosted by Jazz
Hasn't it been discussed that CDR doesn't work on followers (anymore)?

I think it was found out that it doesn't work on all follower skills (enchantress chickenspell) but on some follower skills it works (templar heal ...?).

Nobody really cared to test it for all follower skills as it isn't really that important.

There isn't much you could roll on amu and rings anyways, weapon can have a CC stun or bleed, shield bleed to. But that is it. Going for more CDR on follower can't actually hurt - as you don't have to give up anything for it.

So IAS+CDR seems still a good advice.
01/30/2019 12:27 AMPosted by Jazz
The high leaderboard places in EU season seem to use Numbing Traps and BoTP (together with Gogok and Trapped of course) which gives good damage reduction. They also focus on AS and not on AD.

Yep , I changed out some gear last night . I put on a AD based COE , gloves with AD and shoulders with both AD and CDR . I opted to keep the AS sword . Took it for a few test runs in tier 105 last night and it's doing good . I was clearing 105's in 5 to 6 minutes . I have secondary elemental resistances stacked a little better now and the difference is noticeable . I will keep playing this for a while . I need more practice with playing the build before I push it too far . I am gonna play it more and look for a few better pieces before I try to push hard with it .

I have been using Templar for follower . Are you saying I should use enchantress instead ?

Thanks
01/29/2019 05:52 AMPosted by Haybaler
My damage output seems enough , but I'm lacking in survival it seems . I have tried everything I can think of and it's not doing any good . At my paragon , and with the gear I have , there is no reason I can think of as to why I am not getting higher pushing .

One thing to watch for is when specifically you are dying. I find that if I don't have an excess of CDR, I often die the instant Vengeance goes down. You lose the damage reduction from Dark Heart, and that is huge. It might be worthwhile to invest one more roll into CDR (plus you can keep FoK up more). Also, I am sure I don't have to mention it, but make sure to Vault (or perhaps hit Shadow Power, as was recently suggested in another thread) every so often to keep up the Elusive Ring effect.
01/30/2019 08:40 AMPosted by Haybaler
01/30/2019 12:27 AMPosted by Jazz

Yep , I changed out some gear last night . I put on a AD based COE , gloves with AD and shoulders with both AD and CDR . I opted to keep the AS sword . Took it for a few test runs in tier 105 last night and it's doing good . I was clearing 105's in 5 to 6 minutes . I have secondary elemental resistances stacked a little better now and the difference is noticeable . I will keep playing this for a while . I need more practice with playing the build before I push it too far . I am gonna play it more and look for a few better pieces before I try to pus hard with it .

I have been using Templar for follower . Are you saying I should use enchantress instead ?

Thanks

I've always used enchantress for her cc. The chicken mass hex in particular is great, it takes a lot of aggro off of you for a few seconds. Her knockback also helps proc SA's.

We don't need Templar's hatred regen, and healing isn't really an issue either bc of Leech, so Enchantress benefits us a bit more. Also, if you're close to an AS breakpoint bc of your rolls, you can get 3% extra from her which usually puts you to the next bp.

I've actually considered trying Scoundrel instead for the 3% extra CHD (hey, dps is dps!) but I think Enchantress and her cc is prob what's most needed while pushing.
Some random thoughts and ideas (wall of text):

Dunno - but may be it is the keybinding you use? I know that most have Impale on M1 and use some kind of perma force stop or so.

My keybinding is Impale on M2 - like UE MS. On M1 I have boar - which is not really needed. Pressing it may do something with AD focus, but it is not really that important.

FoK numlock won't work if hold always down M2 - so you have to press it still manually - but you can use it and might help sometimes.

If you missclick on an enemy with M1 - the worst that could happen is that boar taunts and then boar is on cooldown anyways. Movement is still no problem So perma force-stop is not really needed, IMO.

Vault movement is easier with M2, IMO. Hold it down - spam vault key.
Pretty straight forward. For small steps to get into Oculus - use force move - standard is space, some have it on mousewheel.

Defense:
- I'd personally use awareness and drop ambush if defense is the problem.
Ambush can do a lot if you hit fresh 100% life elites when CoE is up (RNG though), but the higher you go the less it does. Against "unlimited" health or a RG it is just ~7,5%

- SP spam was mentioned, you could try to use multilation snapshot too. Doesn't work with spamming SP but you can try to manage it somehow and use SP only when it is needed.

- Perfectionist could also be used with good allres+single res. 10% more resistance.

- With Leech - I think lightning and cold are not that big of a problem as the elite effects DoT. Physical, Fire (mortars) and arcane sentries suck (they could be skipped though). Poison is fine with Leech and can be outhealed, but the poisons bees/mosquitos from act 2 suck.

- Enchantress with chicken is great for survival as this can solve the dune derwish problem or arcane sentries ...but can cost you progress. You have to remember which were the elites or which enemy was the yellow boss. Chickens have a small hitbox, so you have to be very close to not miss a dagger hit.

- FoK: In the standard setup with CDR on shoulders only, you don't have perma FoK buff. That works for DPS optimization, but the ~0,3s FoK downtime might get you killed. If you can squeeze in another CDR roll - you'd have perma FoK (CDR >40% with 15 Gogok stacks). Could be an option, depending on your gear.

- Gogok and Vengeance mechanic: To get perma vengeance you need to be at 15 Gogok stacks when you press vengeance. If you don't do that - you'll lose perma vengeance for a few seconds when it runs off.

So at the start of the level, don't activate it, run to the first group and get some hits out.
You might lose the 15 Gogok stacks in certain situations during the level When you die, when you get a speed pylon and run through an empty level and so on. Then do the same, first build up the stacks and then hit vengeance.

- Numbing traps: Nice passive but works only on enemies near you. 15/20/30 yards for BotT/FoK/SP Nightbane. Ranged attacks can really hurt because of that. Poison bees, Succubi arcane balls, Spearthrowers ...
You can't do much against that besides being aware that these attacks can hurt a lot as there is no 25% reduction on them.

- For testing you could drop CoE for double unity. Given your paragon and gear - 113 should still be easy without CoE, I guess. Sure CoE will get you higher - but "CANNOT DIE"-mode might help you to get the playstyle nailed.

- Esoteric isn't that bad if you have some physical resistance. Allows you to facetank when arcane sentries are up. Vs BotP - maybe just 1-3 levels lower or so.
Beware of physical damage though. Like spearthrowers.

But losing BotP is not that much of a problem if you die multiple times anyways and it doesn't force you to hunt for the next BotP reset. You can waste a lot of time with BotP when you don't know when to skip or when you have to kill the last remaining elite.
PE - I have personally no clue about that.

Regarding AD and DPS and rings:
I think CHC/CHD/105-210 is the perfect setup here. Hard to get.
One 105-210 roll would add 8,x% or so (with primal Karlei). This damage will be included in the AD hit. But if AD doesn't trigger - you still have the 8% DPS buff on your main hit.

Ancient damage on rings is super strong with a dagger build. Can beat CHC - will depend on total stats, though.