Path of Exile is better game

Games & Technology
Poe is hard to learn and boring at begin because its very complex. But when you understand 30-40% game, its super good.

- 3 Ascendancy classes * 6 characters = 18 classes , and a lot of difference build per class

example: you can play Witcher with Physical build, Tanker build, ... at late game.

- New content is released per 6 month.

Beginner Tips: Poe isn't beginner friendly. Loots is difference with D3. in Poe, rare items drop like normal items in D3. You will feel overwhelm, and confuse. And game is really good when you install Loot Filter for filter 60% trash items:
https://github.com/NeverSinkDev/NeverSink-Filter

p/s: PoE ecosystem is large, because they have public API. For example a top player's profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/PoEDan79/characters
Then go and play it and stop posting this crap in the Diablo Forums.
k
You can play witcher a total of two ways? That qualifies as a lot? You are making your point well.
I just want to say my idea about POE. Its hidden gem, i felt POE is boring, ugly game and gave up a long time ago. But when Betrayal was released , and stand at top streaming games on twitch, it catch my attention, and i tried and learned it again one more time.

And i think anyone is ARPG fan, should learn PoE. I am sure that you will not regret.

01/12/2019 10:03 PMPosted by UngivenFame
You can play witcher a total of two ways? That qualifies as a lot? You are making your point well.

When you pick Witcher , with all gems are spell: light, fire, cold, chaos, minions, ... But who know top players played Witcher same as D3's Barbarian.
It's sh_t.
At least the Developers at GGG care about their player base.

Blizzard used to care, but things are entirely different now.

Blizzard can't be bothered with meeting times they have announced for Season start/end as well as other dates.

How can this be?
It's easy to figure out.
When there is no one home that manages the maintenance of a game, then things get a little weird.
Perhaps the Janitor becomes the goto for managing the server start/end dates.
This is not funny.
It is sad and quite the bummer.
Agree with OP. PoE has depth while RoS is just a semi finish product at launch.

Remember the 1st version of greater rift? It was so horrid, no density or whatever. After adding a few mobs in there, it became pretty bad. Bad as in killing mobs grant more progression than kill elites.

And when you die, be it in solo or group, you respawn at the entrance of the floor you are at. Walking all the way from there surely isnt fun . Oh and the pylons. Pylons spawn with no regards to rift progression. Thus you can simply pick a class like barb and explore the entire rift, no conduit, make new game.

This was RoS, a semi finish product that had undergone ptr from day 1. Not a good product to sell to customers. If RoS was free to play, i guess it will be more forgiving.

Blizzard has embarked on the motion of 'lets release it and patch later'. Patching is good but they ignore the countless good suggestions from the fans and went ahead with its own changes which angered many. Why were people angry? Because they refused to balance classes and skills and that forced players to either play it the Blizzard way or drop the game entirely.

Most recently, players noticed in the ptr that armory tabs were added. That wasnt necessary at all. If tabs were needed, it will be stash tabs. Either add stash tabs or do something that the fans need. Players didnt need additional armory tabs, they needed balancing of classes, variety in game play or just stash tabs to place their good gear.

In summary, RoS was released in bare skeletal form and pieces of flesh were introduced. To date, none can really say this game is in its full form. There are missing pieces here and there. Especially in the area of balancing builds and making many more items meaningful. There are alot of items that serve no purpose but called legendary because it says so. How legendary are they? Not much.
i thought the same too, i played poe for a long time, killed shaper, bough supporter packs and i thought i will never come back to diablo. but here i am. your statement can get some reaction from non-poe public or for those who didnt figure out in that game.

- if you are not paying real money you cant trade (you need to buy premium stash tabs)
- if you are not paying real money your character will look like garbage because there is no interest for developers to make your default char look good, they want to sell you extremely overpriced microtransactions
- real money trade, you can buy all orbs on selling sites and of course you cant even talk about any "competition" with this kind of conditions
- trading process itself is extremely unconvinient and you HAVE to trade if you want faster progress. whispering to tons of people that will never answer, then inviting to party, then teleporting to hidout, doing trade, drop party, teleport back, and all this !@#$ just to obtain one map. for betrayal league masters spawn on random maps and you HAVE to trade to buy those maps that you dont have but masters spawned on them.
- ssf mode is !@#$ed up because orbs and uniques drop rates are not adjusted for player's comfort, so you cant get the build you want because you will lack build-defining unique etc.
- %^-*ton of bots farming currency and that makes your playtime less valuable
- crafting in trade leagues is very rare thing, usually its better to buy a gear from another player than craft it yourself
- online players count one month after the start of any league it 20-25k (2 months into league - online is 14k players), for betrayal, ok, its 30k now.
- you need to do all 10 act storyline with skill-quests again on EVERY character, you need to do all labyrinth again on EVERY character. doing storyline ten times in a row feels horrible, lab itself is trash content according to thousands of poe players who rage on the forums about that content. you NEED to do pantheons. all this just to make your char "ready to play properly".
- flasks. you NEED to have one or two quicksilver flask mandatory and you NEED to press it every 5-6 seconds because otherwise you will move super SLOW because game designers have no idea at what speed char should be moving so this would be comfortable for player.
- you need to LMB on every scroll of wisdom, orb, portal scroll, identify every single item, lots of useless micromanagement
- build diversity in betreyal is better, but in previous leagues 30%-40% of all playerbase played THREE f**** builds (blade vortex, ele hit, molten strike), in the past (in incursion) 50% of playerbase played with TWO skills (bv, arc), thats all what you need to know about the build diversity, and, of course, because you cant adjust difficulty, all your smart "diverse" off-meta builds will be killed by overtuned endgame bosses or you will have to spend s.t tons of currency to make them average at best
- endgame bosses are gated behind RNG (uber elder) or extreme RNG. streamer Mathil played whole delve league leveling 20+ chars to 90+ levels, but still didnt see endgame boss of league content, nuff said.
- there is no competition and there is no any meaningful purpose of your existence there. in d3 you do highest rift, you are good, in poe you do obnoxious challanges nobody cares about that always involve tedius rng elements.
- xp penalty so you cant level your "diverse, deep" build to really high levels because even if your defense layers are good, you will get killed and that will take weeks of grinding to get back.

- graphics and engine are absolute outdated unoptimized trash
- animations and combat are clunky, combat is schematical one-tap all screen clear
- you cant even select the gender of your hero or other visual options

path of exile is extremely overrated, infested by tons of rudimental, outdated elements, ppl play it because there is no alternative. if d3 wakes up and just starts with copying some of its legue content, that game will die fast.
online players count one month after the start of any league it 20-25k (2 months into league - online is 14k players), for betrayal, ok, its 30k now.

I correct this: if you see steam's online players count, that number isn't right.
Because i am playing PoE in SEA. And steam locked PoE in SEA region. I don't know exactly how many region was locked.
PoE is free to play, but one of the top 10 earners of 2018.
And that summarizes why I won't play it.
01/12/2019 11:42 PMPosted by MeoTim
online players count one month after the start of any league it 20-25k (2 months into league - online is 14k players), for betrayal, ok, its 30k now.

I correct this: if you see steam's online players count, that number isn't right.
Because i am playing PoE in SEA. And steam locked PoE in SEA region. I don't know exactly how many region was locked.

devs said that had 180k total players peak online at launch of betrayal league, while in steam there were 120k players, so ok, we always should add 1/3 to that number that wee see in steamcharts. but, generally. ok, not 30, but 40k players is online now. is this huge number? depends on perspective, but nothing really huge. i would even risk to assume that its not more than diablo 3 mid-season.
thats my point.
01/12/2019 11:08 PMPosted by Chetanji
At least the Developers at GGG care about their player base.
lol you are so clueless

they do bug fixes in an appropriate timeframe, that's it.

their monitization is worse than EA and their game balance is worse than WoW PvP.
01/12/2019 11:47 PMPosted by TaintedFate

devs said that had 180k total players peak online at launch of betrayal league, while in steam there were 120k players, so ok, we always should add 1/3 to that number that wee see in steamcharts. but, generally. ok, not 30, but 40k players is online now. is this huge number? depends on perspective, but nothing really huge. i would even risk to assume that its not more than diablo 3 mid-season.
thats my point.

https://steamcharts.com/app/238960#All
Check statistics, we can see PoE players is growing over years, i think it have a lot potential.
With PoE 2.0 was released 2015, PoE 3.0 in 2017, PoE 4.0 in 2019 ?
And about graphics can change + upgrade, its same as WoW.
01/12/2019 11:57 PMPosted by MeoTim
01/12/2019 11:47 PMPosted by TaintedFate

thats my point.

https://steamcharts.com/app/238960#All
Check statistics, we can see PoE players is growing over years, i think it have a lot potential.
With PoE 2.0 was released 2015, PoE 3.0 in 2017, PoE 4.0 in 2019 ?
And about graphics can change + upgrade, its same as WoW.

i saw that graphic
it has potential and is growing since 2014
but at this moment it has 30k players playing via steam, according to your source.

this number is not that big as you maybe want it to sound, as i said, i dont think that numbers are larger then d3 mid-season. the guy said "poe is better game" so we are comparing it to d3, and i doubt poe has more players than d3, thats how i will put it.

i mean the game has obvious players retention problems
they should completely redo their ancient unoptimized trash engine from scratch if we are talking about graphics.

i am not poe hater, i wish that game to be more successfull, but my opinion: its not better than d3.
No, PoE is not better - period. However its an option if you can deal with the 3rd world graphics, animations and if you dont expect polishment generally - i personally cant deal with it, so i dont play it anymore. Played a witch up to lvl 86 there back in 2013, then stopped as i couldnt stand the bad graphics, clunky combat and feel of PoE anymore.
01/12/2019 11:26 PMPosted by TaintedFate
i thought the same too, i played poe for a long time, killed shaper, bough supporter packs and i thought i will never come back to diablo. but here i am. your statement can get some reaction from non-poe public or for those who didnt figure out in that game.

- if you are not paying real money you cant trade (you need to buy premium stash tabs)
- if you are not paying real money your character will look like garbage because there is no interest for developers to make your default char look good, they want to sell you extremely overpriced microtransactions
- real money trade, you can buy all orbs on selling sites and of course you cant even talk about any "competition" with this kind of conditions
- trading process itself is extremely unconvinient and you HAVE to trade if you want faster progress. whispering to tons of people that will never answer, then inviting to party, then teleporting to hidout, doing trade, drop party, teleport back, and all this !@#$ just to obtain one map. for betrayal league masters spawn on random maps and you HAVE to trade to buy those maps that you dont have but masters spawned on them.
- ssf mode is !@#$ed up because orbs and uniques drop rates are not adjusted for player's comfort, so you cant get the build you want because you will lack build-defining unique etc.
- %^-*ton of bots farming currency and that makes your playtime less valuable
- crafting in trade leagues is very rare thing, usually its better to buy a gear from another player than craft it yourself
- online players count one month after the start of any league it 20-25k (2 months into league - online is 14k players), for betrayal, ok, its 30k now.
- you need to do all 10 act storyline with skill-quests again on EVERY character, you need to do all labyrinth again on EVERY character. doing storyline ten times in a row feels horrible, lab itself is trash content according to thousands of poe players who rage on the forums about that content. you NEED to do pantheons. all this just to make your char "ready to play properly".
- flasks. you NEED to have one or two quicksilver flask mandatory and you NEED to press it every 5-6 seconds because otherwise you will move super SLOW because game designers have no idea at what speed char should be moving so this would be comfortable for player.
- you need to LMB on every scroll of wisdom, orb, portal scroll, identify every single item, lots of useless micromanagement
- build diversity in betreyal is better, but in previous leagues 30%-40% of all playerbase played THREE f**** builds (blade vortex, ele hit, molten strike), in the past (in incursion) 50% of playerbase played with TWO skills (bv, arc), thats all what you need to know about the build diversity, and, of course, because you cant adjust difficulty, all your smart "diverse" off-meta builds will be killed by overtuned endgame bosses or you will have to spend s.t tons of currency to make them average at best
- endgame bosses are gated behind RNG (uber elder) or extreme RNG. streamer Mathil played whole delve league leveling 20+ chars to 90+ levels, but still didnt see endgame boss of league content, nuff said.
- there is no competition and there is no any meaningful purpose of your existence there. in d3 you do highest rift, you are good, in poe you do obnoxious challanges nobody cares about that always involve tedius rng elements.
- xp penalty so you cant level your "diverse, deep" build to really high levels because even if your defense layers are good, you will get killed and that will take weeks of grinding to get back.

- graphics and engine are absolute outdated unoptimized trash
- animations and combat are clunky, combat is schematical one-tap all screen clear
- you cant even select the gender of your hero or other visual options

path of exile is extremely overrated, infested by tons of rudimental, outdated elements, ppl play it because there is no alternative. if d3 wakes up and just starts with copying some of its legue content and elements, that game will die fast.

Yes, Diablo 3 is definitely the game for you.
First off, this thread shouldn't be in the General Discussion forum. it should be elsewhere.

secondly - being a better game is subjective and depends on what you're looking for in a game: if you want complexity and a higher learning curve and management then yes - it is comparatively better than Diablo 3. on the flipside - if you're looking for an easy to pick up, better looking visuals and more fluid gameplay - Diablo 3 is comparatively better than PoE.

thirdly - as someone mentioned above - while the game is free to play, you are kind of "forced" to pay money if you want to engage in trading and general ease of management since you need a premium tab if you don't want to have a convoluted way of trading, currency tab to manage all the currency items, map tab, divination tab and other normal tabs just to manage the plethora of items you have, not to mention skin transfers or skill effects you can pay to make your character more unique.

at the end of the day, you don't need to compare both games to prove a point of "look, poe is better because 1,2,3 and 4 and you are foolish not to play it like me" but given how people seems to think they are doing a service for people who don't want to play PoE or don't care enough to play it - you're not doing anyone a favor with these kinds of posts. If you like PoE, that's great! enjoy it as much as you want. i believe that most people here on the forum still enjoy D3 for what it offers. I play both games for what they offer. i don't think one is better than the other and I'll divulge a little trade secret here - you can, in fact, play both games and enjoy them both, regardless of what they offer. shocking, i know. it's like people can like both McDonalds and Carls' Jr. without having to compare the two.
PoE isn't a bad game, but is it better? Not really. I'd say it's got more content but with how the game is designed that content is not worth doing. RNG loot is crazy in PoE and trying to get useful rares is a massive pain in the !@#. Then going thoough all the hoops to price and sell/buy in trading. no thanks.

And mapping I hate witha passion. Leveling is fine, though very boring after doing it a couple times. At least with D3 you're donein a couple hours rather than a few days. But mapping in PoE? The worst RNG bull$%^- that requires playing the trade market and it can drive you nuts real fast. Having to use a 3rd party website constantanly is so bad. New betryal mechanics can be cheesed slightly but still offer *!@# rewards that aren't worth the time and effort.

D3 needs fixing for sure. More storage, better balance less rng crap, ways to level gems besides grifts, etc. But D3 is still something I come back to every couple seasons. I can't finish mapping past t4/5 in poe, it's not hard, just beyond tedious and there's plenty of other games to play instead of beating my head aganist rng and a horrible trade system.
The game itself is fine. Enjoying it a lot lately. But it also has the worst rng and loot so I can see why people would play something else after a while.