Not a Fan of Joining Games in Progress..

General Discussion
Is it just me or has anyone else had a bit of an issue with this new update of joining Greater Rifts already in progress? I'm having a bit of an issue because now instead of joining something where a Greater Rift hasn't started yet, I'm now joining something where a Greater Rift has started and I have to wait for players to finish before I'm able to start. On top of that, when they do finish, they don't typically stick around. Everybody leaves and I'm just sitting in an empty game that nobody is going to join... So I end up going to a different game and the same thing happens.

Was this actually tested an preferred on the PTR? I don't get it...
It's one of the most puzzling "features" I've seen Blizzard come up with.

Yup, wait 5 minutes for someone to finish up a GR and have them leave.

You try to join another game and you keep getting matched up again because there's no other open game and the match maker won't let you make a new one.
I like it for many reasons. The biggest reason a public GR group never gets going is because they cant decide on which GR level to run. If you join a group that is already running one then its likely they've agreed upon something.
It's totally stupid.
01/16/2019 09:59 PMPosted by Mesden
Is it just me or has anyone else had a bit of an issue with this new update of joining Greater Rifts already in progress? I'm having a bit of an issue because now instead of joining something where a Greater Rift hasn't started yet, I'm now joining something where a Greater Rift has started and I have to wait for players to finish before I'm able to start. On top of that, when they do finish, they don't typically stick around. Everybody leaves and I'm just sitting in an empty game that nobody is going to join... So I end up going to a different game and the same thing happens.

Was this actually tested an preferred on the PTR? I don't get it...

This will happen no matter what patch blizzard put out because it's a players issue not the game issue. You can make a private game to play alone or with a party. For public you may have to wait until others are finish which is fair. Since mostly all ages play this you see it a bit more with other age group than others. Having it happen doesn't mean world is ending just means you have to wait until finish or make a new game or private game or all of the above.

Having patience is a good thing to have.
01/16/2019 10:36 PMPosted by HokGnav
I like it for many reasons. The biggest reason a public GR group never gets going is because they cant decide on which GR level to run. If you join a group that is already running one then its likely they've agreed upon something.

there should be the possibility tho chose before entering grift public game a level range, e.g. 110-115, so you will be matched with players with same desire.
01/17/2019 02:08 AMPosted by Danutz23
01/16/2019 10:36 PMPosted by HokGnav

there should be the possibility tho chose before entering grift public game a level range, e.g. 110-115, so you will be matched with players with same desire.

Oh sure. Then you'd end up with four zbarbs or zmonks in the same game or three leechers wanted to be carried.
This is just stupid. Three or two make GR then both leave, the game stays open forever and everyone is just recycled back into the GR game and nobody can enter.
Why the fudge was this change made? It wasnt broken so they "fixed" it?
I am fairly sure they want to limit the number of games to save on server space. Nobody asked for this feature which suggests Blizzard is only pretending this was in demand. They are really just trying to cut costs.
They can cut costs on bot users, not on us. How many games bots open during the day ?
01/16/2019 10:26 PMPosted by SimpleDave

You try to join another game and you keep getting matched up again because there's no other open game and the match maker won't let you make a new one.

To make a new one, create it private first then open it to public
Wouldn't a better solution be a true LFG system, that auto matches players together based on previous success of solo GR-runs and desire of what role they intend to fill, dmg/sup/etc. ?
It's better than the alternative. Most of the time I join a game and everyone is just standing around not accepting the GR. At least this way you know people are not AFK.
01/17/2019 04:54 AMPosted by Thany
They can cut costs on bot users, not on us. How many games bots open during the day ?

The infastructure of the game would need to be remade to put a dent in botting. Im no expert but sometimes i do wonder how some games are bot free and other bot plagued and yet there is no consensus on what works to prevent them. HOTS has no bots? And you would think it would be desireable if possible to farm AI for gold and exp all night. Its a much cheaper cost cut. Nothing they can do at this time will end botting just delay it for a week or 2.
...instead of joining something where a GR hasn't started yet, I'm now joining something where a GRt has started and I have to wait for players to finish before I'm able to start. On top of that, when they do finish, they don't typically stick around. Everybody leaves and I'm just sitting in an empty game..

Total incompetence of Blizz peeps that work on Diablo.... They are not playing the game or this would never see the light of the day.... So sad.
01/17/2019 09:31 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA
01/17/2019 04:54 AMPosted by Thany

The infastructure of the game would need to be remade to put a dent in botting. Im no expert but sometimes i do wonder how some games are bot free and other bot plagued and yet there is no consensus on what works to prevent them. HOTS has no bots? And you would think it would be desireable if possible to farm AI for gold and exp all night. Its a much cheaper cost cut. Nothing they can do at this time will end botting just delay it for a week or 2.

HOTS bots are dumb. They just need to make what they already did in HOTS. Remove 32bit support for Diablo 3 as they did that for HOTS.
I like it if only because there are now potentially more joinable public games. Public games before this were largely dead or hard to get into as you'd have to get lucky and slot in before/after the rift, if they were chain running rifts, that game may as well have been invisible. Now it's joinable. And that's a good thing, imo. Besides, use whatever time you're waiting to reroll your gear or go to the bathroom, get a drink, whatever. It's a non-issue
01/17/2019 02:26 PMPosted by Thany
01/17/2019 09:31 AMPosted by XS3NIGMA

HOTS bots are dumb. They just need to make what they already did in HOTS. Remove 32bit support for Diablo 3 as they did that for HOTS.

Seriously?!? Do you live next to the Blizzard server center? We aren't all so lucky.

D3 only works for me in 32 bit mode... HotS I have ongoing issues with because they got rid of 32 bit mode.

Yes, I'm sure there's a better solution than using 32 bit mode but until and unless Blizzard properly fixes their games (and D3 has been around how long without this being fixed?) removing 32 bit mode is equivalent to just shutting down all the servers. No bots (assuming your idea actually fixes that problem), but we can't play either.
I do not like this change, but I could probably live with it if I could see the progress bar while I was sitting in town. As it is now, you have no idea if you are going to have to wait 10 seconds or 15 minutes for them to finish the rift.

I guess I should just start using communites more to find groups. I'm just going to miss the quick random games I was able to join in the past.
This has to be a bug because when you do public bounties and turn in that first bounty, new players won't be matched to your game anymore.

So if the server can know that a bounty was turned in and not to match new players to the game, it should be able to know that a GR is open and not to match new players to that game.

My guess is that the server is using the same matching logic as normal rifts where it doesn't matter if the rift is already open or not. When you join public normal rift games, the normal rift is often already open. Obviously this shouldn't apply for GR!

EDIT: Oh this is a feature update in the patch notes? That's dumb!