ASUS TUF FX504GE

Games & Technology
So I haven't bought a laptop since 2008/2009 with my first overseas laptop, and finally deciding to buy a new one. I have looked all around for a decent laptop that can run most games on high ends, and love my ASUS laptops (I have used a wide range of laptops, ranging from Lenovo, Dell, HP, ASUS, Sager, Bytespeed, and Alienware, due to my line of work as an IT Tech), and finally settling down with the ASUS TUF FX504GE. I am on a pretty limited budget, and feel this is one of the best bangs for the buck. What are your thoughts? Anyone use the ASUS TUF FX504GE?

Here is a link for it if you're curious:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834235023

Basic Specs:

ASUS TUF FX504 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8300H processor (up to 3.9 GHz) and GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB for superior gaming performance and multitasking

Portable design with 0.98" thin profile and weight of only 5.07 lbs.

Dual fans with anti-dust technology.

Red-backlit keyboard rated for 20-million keystroke durability

1TB FireCuda Solid State Hybrid Drive.

8 GB DDR4 high-frequency 2666 MHz RAM.

Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi. Up to 1.73 Gbps with 2X2 802.11ac.

I feel it will last me quite a while and allow me to play most games on the higher end settings for the cost.
I would never play games on a laptop, but that's just me.
If I'm off my desktop and feel like playing games I'll hop on my switch or Ps4 :/
01/22/2019 01:53 PMPosted by Exuri
I would never play games on a laptop, but that's just me.
If I'm off my desktop and feel like playing games I'll hop on my switch or Ps4 :/

I could understand that. The issue for me is being in the military, I tend to volunteer for a lot of schools to up my skills and improve myself, so I am gone a few times out of the year a minimum of a month worth, so...spend a LOT of time away from home. Once you get used to it, it isn't too bad. Only bad part is lack of upgrades you can do to a laptop.
Looks great, i would prefer I7 though, but that's another $100...
01/23/2019 07:20 AMPosted by theNix
Looks great, i would prefer I7 though, but that's another $100...

$400 actually...Going from an i5 GTX 1050Ti to an i7 GTX 1050Ti took the cost from $699 to $1,099. i7 would ideally be better, but definitely don't have $1,100 to blow on it currently..Gotta take care of the kids first, so the $700 range is perfect for what I need ;)
Ohhhhh, well then yes, I see the I7 I saw was just a 1050.
I JUST built 2 PCs this summer for $700 each with 1050TI and Ryzen5s.
They Just blaze, so yeah I guess the 5 market is still good.
I just get leary because they have been around sooo long, but they must be doing something right!
The i7 is too hot for that laptop. You'll spend all of your time bumping against the thermal limits. The i5 version will play Diablo at max settings but anything more demanding and you'll need to start turning things down. If you save a bit you can find a laptop with a 1060 for about the same price.
I recently bought a HP OMEN X 17-AP010NR laptop which can be seen @ https://www.amazon.com/HP-i7-7700HQ-Processor-Solid-State-17-ap010nr/dp/B075LKSJZ7

This basically has the specs that the laptop you want has but it has a G-Sync enabled screen and a fair sized SSD which is really helpful for gaming and once you have an SSD you'll never ever look back!

It's kinda pricey but I can tell you it never runs super hot like a lot of laptops can and probably do plus it also plays Overwatch with ease, never had it overheat n shut down on me once and I have had it nearly a month now.

DO NOT BUY the Overclockable models of the OMEN X laptops as these can be dangerously overclocked if you don't know what you're doing and cause it to heat up very high and cause random shutdowns as I've read/heard this from others who have the Overclockable CPU models so you have been warned here.

ALSO I highly suggest if you buy one of these laptops is that you MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS up to date, all drivers n software (yes, even including the Windows 10 build) and the BIOS because they fix a lot of issues in the latest BIOS release. Mine is all up to date and has no issues.

P.S. the OMEN X laptops also feature a mechanical keyboard which is a pretty rare feature still on a laptop :D