D3 twitch viewers

General Discussion
It's amazing how simple number changing patch can skyrocket number of viewers and double overtake PoE. It will fade in couple of days as always but however good PoE or any other arpg may be everyone starves for Diablo to be the king again.
... everyone starves for Diablo to be the king again.

Diablo 3 viewership was more than PoE's viewership from the evening of Jan 18th til the morning of Jan 21st. If I understand the latest patch, it was more than a simple number change. Wasn't a new season released which allowed players the ability to mix and match gear sets easier?

https://twitchtracker.com/games/29307
https://twitchtracker.com/games/313558

If you're going to make an observation, it's best to provide information which backs up your opinion, no? The skyrocketing numbers you mentioned in your post were short-lived, in fact they had faded prior to you creating your post.

"will fade in couple of days as always" - Kaelos, you wrote that on Jan 22nd. PoE surpassed Diablo 3 viewership on Jan 21st. You're speaking of past events in the future tense.

I don't understand how you can post so little and get so much incorrect. Can you please explain your post, or how you arrived at your inaccurate generalization? |

Thanks.
I find it interesting that some people would rather watch others play Diablo, instead of playing the game themselves. I never really understood that mentality.
I find it depressing how fast people forget blizzcon. Theres absolutely nothing new this season. A free RoRG lets you equip a coe or a different ring....woopdie dooo

If it was a season where the SETS THEMSELVES cost 1 less to wear + a rorg making it 2 less, you'd have yourself a worthy season.

Right now its close your eyes and pretend your doing 10 grs higher.
01/23/2019 08:17 AMPosted by MEGAMAN
I don't understand how you can post so little and get so much incorrect. Can you please explain your post, or how you arrived at your inaccurate generalization? |

Haha. made me laugh, ty.
01/22/2019 06:40 PMPosted by Kaelos
It's amazing how simple number changing patch can skyrocket number of viewers and double overtake PoE.

It's amazing how this tiny bag of peanuts the airplane company finally gave me 20 hours into my flight tastes absolutely AMAZING, and is so fulfilling.......

ooh look....the peanuts are in the toilet as quickly as D3's Twitch viewer numbers are....
Resets typically cause increase with viewers - people like to see the race/push for high GRs over the weekend. If we had visibility into the actual player numbers I'm sure we would see the first weekend / week at a much higher player count than a month or more into a season.
01/23/2019 09:44 AMPosted by Avalon
I find it interesting that some people would rater watch others play a game, instead of playing the game themselves. I never really understood that mentality.

I sometimes think that...then ended up watching some streams and I get it now.

1. Season start for a good player means pushing to get the Conquests done and trying for a decent spot on the Conquest leaderboards. That is fun to watch, esp when they cut it close and get that spot!

2. Season start hype as a community. The group working together, and the folks hanging in chat get along well. It feels more like a social experience - just like when you go to a sportsball game with people or watch as a group. The community aspect is really nice and I like seeing familiar names there and chatting with them.

3. Learning new builds and skills. I find some of the how-to guides really helpful.

4. Can be done as background activity while working on other things on the PC. So, you can't actually play because you are writing something up, but you can listen to the stream or glance at it on another monitor.

5. Hardcore streamers are especially interesting because there is a larger element of risk and when they RIP it can be an event.

Of course, my favorite streams are cooking streams and live kitten cameras :)
I find it interesting that some people would rater watch others play a game, instead of playing the game themselves. I never really understood that mentality.

Do you follow any professional sports teams? I'll use those as an example.

There are people that like watching sports on TV. That's a game, played by other people. Those people that are watching it played on TV are watching it instead of playing it.

What's the difference?

People that are average in the sport they enjoy do indeed like watching people that are good at said sport. Some games take on a whole new meaning watching skilled players do things, and it might even teach you something you're doing wrong.

I don't watch streamers myself, but given this mindset I can see the appeal of it.
I have no issue with watching Rhykker, Westmarch Workshop, and others from the community talk about Diablo news and views. However, watching someone play Diablo for 6 hours is just silly. When I play I want to learn as I go, I do not want someone else showing me how to do everything. If a "player" has a need for speed (show them everything) they miss out on the Journey. Sports teams are not the same, I am a 59 year old man (old and fat) I could never play for the Chicago Bears. I can play D3, so why spend my time watching others play.

*I run mostly solo, so I do not care about the most holy meta. I understad that some worship the meta, so they need all the help they can get to obtain the holy grail.
There's a lot more to watching people play on twitch.
Many people gravitate towards the best players of (insert game)

Example
You play PuBG, You're going to watch players with high skill levels to try and get better at many areas of the game this is why Shroud racks in 35k+ viewers evertime he starts his stream. You're goign to watch ChocoTacos decision making and control.

Otherwise you're watching because you're apart of their community and enjoy being a part of it. Streamers just don't play games they interact with people and play games with their viewers or have their viewers dictate what games they will be playing building a sense of belonging within their community.

Diablo3 I don't really understand watching too much, you have all the information you need on the leader board to copy and paste builds. Maybe you're watching because you want to directly support said streamer because you like his work I guess.
Avalon, you play D3 but could you run the META with a dedicated team at GR 145+? I'm not saying you can't, but given how that kind of fine tuning works, the odds are against you that you're capable. I know I'm not capable. I don't have the intricate knowledge nor the sense of timing for specific gear (CoE comes to mind)on this game to pull that off. I am not ashamed of that.

It's a game. Some can be (and will be) flat out better than you will ever be for (reasons), even when you were (or in the case of Diablo 3, possibly are still) in your prime. There's no shame in that.

Personally I prefer playing the game myself than watching. I love playing hockey, but I am average at it. I can't really spend an evening watching other people play the game on TV for the next 2 hours.
01/23/2019 11:09 AMPosted by Avalon
Sports teams are not the same, I am a 59 year old man (old and fat) I could never play for the Chicago Bears. I can play D3, so why spend my time watching others play.

Right, we can all play D3, but we can't all push those Server first Conquests at season start. That is what I find appealing about the season start streams. Those are actually kind of exciting watching others do something I know I don't have the ability or patience to do. Most of the time is is a friend I am watching so it is fun to cheer them on :)

I actually like watching Leviathan and the BlizzPro folks at Season start. Quite a fun community event and many people I know are in chat together.

It is not mutually exclusive. I can watch some streams at Season start and then go play on my own later. BOTH things can be enjoyable!
The Diablo community has some great people, I wish we had our own DiabloCon with the release of D4 (or whatever it will be called), I would like to talk to some of the players I have seen online. The first round of drinks is on me. If we could have it in Denver that would work for me.
A few of us used to do group shots every hour at season launch while on discord running to 70. Those were the most fun 0 - 70 grinds. Wish those players were still around.

It was pretty crazy how fast Leviathan was pushing Friday. In HC no less and IIRC he was not even on right at 5pm.
I find it interesting that some people would rather watch others play a game, instead of playing the game themselves. I never really understood that mentality.

Not that different than people watching sports, unless you are against that too
I find it interesting that some people would rather watch others play a game, instead of playing the game themselves. I never really understood that mentality.

Eh I used to feel that way but I like watching streams time to time. It's a good way to learn more about a game. Or even if you play a game sometimes you tired and maybe just want to watch something. So why not watch someone insanely better than you play that game? See what they do? Maybe you learn something.

Plus games like first person shooters or mobas super cool to watch pro players and see how damn good they are. I have watched lot of League of Legends streams or say like Ninja or Shroud play shooters. It's insane how much better they are than most players.

And sometimes people might just want to check out a game before buying it. Watching popular streamers can give you some insight into a game and a lot of popular streamers actually have some cool personalities which makes watching fun.

There are actually a lot of reasons to watch streamers. It's literally the same idea as "I find it weird you watch Football when you could just go out and play it". Or more simply "I see you like watching golf but you could just go play it". Or "you watching a cooking show? Why not just cook instead?"
01/23/2019 02:23 PMPosted by Cerealkiller

Did you even bother to read my second post? No, you did not. Comparing Diablo to a sporting event is a very poor analogy. If you want to watch people playing DIABLO, when you could be playing DIABLO, go for it. I would rather drive my car, instead of watching someone else drive it. That's all, moot point, I am done.
01/23/2019 02:58 PMPosted by Avalon
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Did you even bother to read my second post? No, you did not. Comparing Diablo to a sporting event is a very poor analogy. If you want to watch people playing DIABLO, when you could be playing DIABLO, go for it.

Your arguement is weak. You can play sports too. Not at the highest level obviously, just as you probably can't play any game at the highest lvl.
01/23/2019 09:49 AMPosted by Jrpbulbrook
I find it depressing how fast people forget blizzcon. Theres absolutely nothing new this season. A free RoRG lets you equip a coe or a different ring....woopdie dooo

Ya because that is all you can do.

Gonna suck having my thorns sader being able to use vampbraces, heart of iron at the same time now while maintaining 6set bonus...

We get it your still butthurt about blizzcon